Good amps head into a cheap cab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good amps head into a cheap cab?

Say i decided to get a mesa boogie single recto head and plug that into a cheap 2 x12 cab? would it be bad? BTW anyoneknow any good cheap 2 x 12 cabs i can buy?
    Proud Master of Strats.....

Re: Good amps head into a cheap cab?

If it were me, I wouldn't buy any cab other than the matching Mesa 2-12 that goes with your amp. Pref. Vintage 30's. Sure, it'll cost a bit more, but you'll cut to the chase and have the nicer looking setup. Avatar is the best cab for the price range you're looking at. I'd still go with matching. Luckily 2-12's are cheaper than 4-12's and easier to ship, so win one on Ebay, if you can't find one locally.
    Some guys would argue this, but I think 4-12's sound much better for your amp.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Ummm if you buy me an Avatar 4x12 I'll send you my Fender 2x12...
      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

hmm ive been looking at the mesa site and it seems they make 1 x 12's!!!!!!!!!! imean at least they match but how much do they go for?
        Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

I seen people use nice tube amps like a Peavey XXX and Mesa Recto with Avatar cabs and they sound good.

But if I didn't have alot of money for a cab I would look on Ebay for a Carvin 2x12 or 4x12. Sometimes you can find the older ones dirt cheap.

Comment

Ditto, I think that the Mesa recs definitely sound best with recto cabs, which are loaded with Vintage 30's. I have a single rec and tried it with marshall 1960, marshall w/greenbacks, mashall vintage (V30's), and even the mesa halfbacks, and IMHO I like the way it sounds in recto cabs the best. They're very well built and well-priced, especially used. A rec with a 4x12 will rock your world, 2x12 is pretty good too.
            "After I die I shall return to earth as the doorkeeper of a bordello and I won't let a one of you in." -Arturo Toscanini

Comment

while everyone is saying get the mesa cab. you were looking for cheap. they aren't so low in price

avatar is a REALLY great company with quality cabs. the g212h special is a great cab and sounds killer for $298

Comment

I use nothing but Avatar and am very happy. I have an avatar G212 that I am about to sell. It is loaded w/ Eminance M12 and V12 speakers (The eminance equivilant to the V30/G12H30 combo) and has a closed back. PM me if your interested.

I would seriously consider avatar. Cheapest cabs that are built right and you don't have to pay for someones logo on it.

J
                Low wattage rocks!
                Bumbox Lead 1
                Orange Tiny Terror
                Vox 120VTH
                ----------------------
                Gibson LP Standard - SG Supreme
                Agile LP-2500 - Jackson JSX-94

Comment

Look also at other brands... like Laney cabs... solidly built, often loaded with V30...
                  Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

i think cab influences the sound very much... don't care about avatar cabs. I heard they sound very good and are cheap.
                    I have to say I find that with the recto it is less important to use very good cabs and guitars then with some other amps but just my experience maybe i'm wrong. Recto thru the right cab kills.
                    RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
                    TS 7 (modded)
                    Hot Rod 50+ XL
                    Framus Dragon 4x12
                    V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Bad speakers will comprimise your recto sound. You could get a used no-name cabinet (something solid with similar dimensions to the recto cab) and some good speakers.
                      You can buy v30 speakers from Carvin for $90, or find them cheaper used.
                      My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

When I 1st got my Trem-o-verb DR head I had an Ampeg cab w/25w celestions and it never sounded right. My singers Peavey cab (he has a Butcher head) was much better. The Recto cabs I have now w/ vintage 30s are like night and day compared to the Ampeg cab, but are only slightly better than the peavey cab. So real cheap is bad, but you don't necessarily need the Recto cabs.
                        Gibson Les Paul Classic (C5/PG)
                        Heritage H-157 (500T/JP)
                        Fender American Deluxe Strat (JB/STK-S4/STK-S4)
                        Franken-Tokai (Custom8/Cool Rails/Hot Rails)
                        G&L ASAT Special
                        Mesa Trem-o-verb DR
                        Traynor YCV50 Blue

Comment

Working...
                        X