Yes Aerosmith CAN Play the Blues!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes Aerosmith CAN Play the Blues!

At least they could back in the 70s. I just got their first album on CD yesterday and have listened to it about 5 times so far. Those guys really had something back then.
    There are 2-3 good blues rock tunes on there, namely "Movin Out". Man that is one of the coolest blues based rock tunes.. wicked guitars and Tyler's voice is amazing.. the best part about it is the idea that it is raw, and experimental, like many other recordings of those days.. but this song is darn cool Lots of energy and style.

I have heard this album before but I have not heard half of these songs in a looong time. Highly recommended for aspiring rock musicians
    My Duncan demos and songs

Re: Yes Aerosmith CAN Play the Blues!

Was it ever a question?

I always thought they incorporated the blues into their more "mainstream" stuff, but in a subtle way.

But yeah, their first album is great. "Mama Kin" is a pretty cool jam...

Comment

Originally posted by Closed Eye
      Was it ever a question?
      I have heard a lot of negative speculation about their upcoming blues album, as if they don't understand it or something. Maybe the album wont be that good, I don't know.. but they did know blues at one time.. hopefully they can still pull it off.
      My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
        I have heard a lot of negative speculation about their upcoming blues album, as if they don't understand it or something. Maybe the album wont be that good, I don't know.. but they did know blues at one time.. hopefully they can still pull it off.
        I've heard the same negative speculation, but I think thats mainly because it's really easy to pick on Aerosmith nowadays. The egoism, the 2 hour Behind the Music episode, "I don't want to miss a thing" (the song they didn't write), the Super Bowl show with all those bubblegum popstars, Joe Perry's hot sauce...I could go on forever. They seem so stupid now, so bloated and excessive, so in need of punishment for their un-rock like transgressions.
        They've become a full on money hungry gigantic stadium filling machine that plows through every city...so, yeah, it's real easy to throw stones.
        Of course, Eric Clapton went all p*ssy on us with that acoustic stuff...then he went back and did the blues...just did that Robert Johnson tribute album too, and apparently it's pretty dang good.
        I hope (much like you, steveo) that playin' the blues is like riding a bike for the boys in Aerosmith.

Comment

the first aerosmith album has one of my favorite rock songs of all time on it in dream on. love that song. could listen to it for a long time....

also, movin out was the first song steven and joe wrote, they wrote it on a bed in a hotel room or an apartment (cant remember which) with joe just playing an acoustic and steven singing
          esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
          fender mim standard strat
          peavey classic 30
          johnson j-station
          original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
          dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
          yamaha f-310p acoustic
          taylor 410 acoustic
          "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Really! I think thier best stuff are the tunes where the blues base comes to the surface. I hadn't heard they had a blues album coming out. Now I'm stoked to get it! When is it due out?

Jim
            MIM Super Strat w/ Warmoth SRV Neck, Antiq.Tex. Hot N, Antiq. Tex. Hot M, Twangbanger Br

Blues Jr (Bill M modded) Vox Tonelab [/SIZE]

Comment

Honkin' on Bobo is out and it is really good, worth the trip to the store to grab IMO.

The first album, I can get emotional about the first album, one of the best ever. Raw, gritty, tons of energy from a real hungry band. First albums don't get any better.
              My Bands -
              https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
              www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
              www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
              GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I've heard one track off the new CD and I thought it rocked. If the rest of the album is as good as the first single it should do well.
                Low wattage rocks!
                Bumbox Lead 1
                Orange Tiny Terror
                Vox 120VTH
                ----------------------
                Gibson LP Standard - SG Supreme
                Agile LP-2500 - Jackson JSX-94

Comment

Joe Perry's the MAN!!!!
                  "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                  "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Joe Perry is in my top 3 of favorite guitar players. He has it all.
                    Aerosmith is the best live band there is. Even at Woodstock II, they blew every single band into the weeds, AND did it in pouring rain. Even blew Metallica off the stage,
                    which isn't an easy feat. I remember Tyler being quoted as saying something like this..
                    "Everytime we tour, new bands come up to us and say, you guys are the reason I do what I do now. Then they play their set. Then we go out and blow them off the stage."

Kinda arrogant, but so true. I've never seen an opening band give them a run for their money. Not Metallica, not Skid Row, not even Bon Jovi.
                    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

No doubt about it, Aerosmith in the eatly days was as bluesy as it gets, one of the only bands to ever TRULY capture that spirit completely in a rock band. That stuff was so bruised, beaten, and bluesy that it made other guys look like wimps. Steve Tyler is the single grittiest, bluesiest, most soulful frontman of all time, and Joe and Brad have played the the dirtiest riffs of all time. My favorite early song of theirs is definently "Mama Kin", the remastered version on the "Oh Yeah, Ultimate Aerosmith" has the absolute DEFINITIVE of how a Les Paul should sound! Great Riff! And they still kick too! Man i love that band!
                      EBMM H-S-H Silhouette

Gibson Les Paul Studio

Fender MIM Stratocaster

Bogner Goldfinger 45 1x12 Combo

Comment

I think the new album will be great. I read in an odler guitarworld that the reason they dont always write all the songs on thier own is because if they ddi they would end up like msot bands......GONE....after countless arguments abnds cant stick together. Thisis what makes them great not to mention they do write some songs and can play their asses off, and definaitely have the talent. And yes they are heavily influenced by the blues so i have no doubt that the enw cd will be awesome.
                        Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

Just in case y'all forgot/missed it, every time I listen to the guitar work on "Train Kept a Rollin" off the 2nd Aerosmith album (Get Your Wings) it humbles me and makes me want to play all day at the same time.

Chip

P.S. listen to the lyrics of "Lord of the Thighs" the next time you're feeling down and need a laugh
                          Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
                          Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
                          Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
                          SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
                          SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
                          "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

Working...
                          X