banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Funny story about my beginner cousin restringing a floyd...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny story about my beginner cousin restringing a floyd...

My cousins just starting out playing guitar, and hes got himself (well i did the shopping for him) a nice jackson performer with a licensed floyd like so many of them have on them. Great beginners guitar! Anyway, he tried restringing it for the first time yesterday and i got a number of distressed phone calls from him asking me what the hell he was supposed to do. He even punched a hole in his wall because he was so frustrated.

I asked him what was wrong and he said that the strings kept popping out of the saddles. I thought this may have been because i told him to be cautious not to tighten the saddles too much otherwise it will increase the chances of a break at the saddle. So i thought he wasnt tightening them enough. But he said they were still not staying in so i gave up on the phone and said id come round to his place and help him the next day.

So this morning i went over to his house and he was still ticked off so i took a look at his guitar. He had the three low strings in his guitar so i fixed up his G string, and the funniest part of this story for anyone whos still reading is that when i went to lock the string in the bridge i saw what hed been doing with his strings....he'd been locking them in the wrong side of the saddle! Hed been trying to anchor the string behind the saddle block closest to the fine tuners instead of in front of the block where it was supposed to go! (if ive described that correctly) I just laughed my head off at him and he was pretty embarressed when i told him

I thought it was very funny, appologies to anyone who just spent their time reading this long post and didnt find it funny.

Cheers
    My Soundclick page.

Re: Funny story about my beginner cousin restringing a floyd...

LoL, something I haven´t seen in a LONG time. Brings back memories
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

We all gotta start somewhere. Before long, changing those strings will be like second nature to him.

Comment

i was so bad at putting on new strings in the beginning. funny thing is, people never could help me, i had to learn it by myself.
        Originally posted by kevlar3000
        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
        Originally posted by Zerberus
        Better is often the enemy of good
        Originally posted by ginormous
        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

that sounds like me when i got my first floyd equipped guitar!

except i knew what i was doing, i knew where to put the string!!

Comment

LOL! Yeah, I was kinda poor when setuping my guitars at first.... we all learn!

Just talked with a good friend last evening... he bought himself an Epi Korina Explorer... I told him to swap the p'ups for a DD/59n combo (he's into Metallica you guessed it!) ... and he replied me : "no! no need for it, I like the way those covered HB's sound, I never though that covers would be that Hot !!"

Not a joke!! He was impressed by the sound of the covers... I only used PAF pickups with covers during the last years, for him, there's 2 types of HB's : covered and not covered.

Im about to sell him Distortion Strings...
            Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

Doing setups on Floyds is almost impossible when you don't know what you're doing.
              The comment about him punching the wall is hilarious. I just did a thorough Floyd setup for a kid's guitar, in my apt. building, last night. I don't charge kids anything to do it, but I do make them watch me, and explain it in detail, so they learn.
              I think of it as "giving back", since I used to go to older guy's houses and ask questions when I was that age. Once you know how to do a Floyd setup, all other guitars are easy in comparison. I still hate intonating them. Last night the kid brought me the guitar with the nut blocks sideways. He was frustrated because they wouldn't
              sit in the nut properly. He was so angry. I pulled them off, set them straight, and he felt so silly. Gotta learn somehow.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Oh man, Floyd Rose, how I hate it. I still have a love/hate relationship with my Warlock because of the Floyd Rose...I love the look and feel of that axe but c'mon, changing strings should NOT be that hard.

Why can't they make a Floyd Rose bridge where you thread the string thru the bridge, THEN lock it down? There's a long metal thing at the bottom that seems like it'd hold strings just fine.
                green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets

Why can't they make a Floyd Rose bridge where you thread the string thru the bridge, THEN lock it down? There's a long metal thing at the bottom that seems like it'd hold strings just fine.
                  Maybe I'm missing something, but how hard is it to push the string into the bridge recess and lock it down? To me, at least, it couldn't be easier.

(1) thread string through tuner.
                  (2) thread string through locking nut (OK, this can be a pain with the retaining bar).
                  (3) put string end into bridge
                  (4) wrench down bridge locks.
                  (5) tune.
                  (6) lock nut.
                  This machine kills fascists

Comment

Originally posted by Young Angus
                    i fixed up his G string
                    sorry i couldnt resist
                    Originally posted by Aceman
                    It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

i've never messed with floyd rose bridges... they sound like a real pain.

but, like ex-250, i find the funniest part of the thread was when you fixed up his g-string.
                      '01 Gibson Les Paul Standard (stock BB V's)
                      Squier Fat Strat (stock/duckbucker/stock)
                      '66 Fender Bassman
                      Fender Champion 600
                      Fender Stage 100

Comment

HAHAHAHA i didnt even realise that, i wrote it when i was kinda tired late last night

Yeah everyones definitely gotta start somewhere, i hated restringing my floyd when i started, i broke a few strings. But like gearjoneser said he does, i helped him out and made sure he watched and i explained everything i was doing so he could learn and do it himself.

Hes a funny boy though
                        My Soundclick page.

Comment

I feel for him, Ive been playing for years and still manage to poke myself with a super slinky every time.

Comment

Ah, Guitar ... the ultimate example of the term *learning curve* ...
                            I remember all of the *oh, so that's how you're supposed to do that ... * experiences. It's all part of the package isn't it?
                            ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                            ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                            Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
                              i was so bad at putting on new strings in the beginning. funny thing is, people never could help me, i had to learn it by myself.
                              I never really had a problem restringing any type of guitar or learning how to do it... I mainly just observed the hardware carefully, and took the string off and then used the reverse process to put one back on. Still, Floyds require a bit of a learning curve...

You'd be amazed at the number of people who come into GC on a daily basis panicking cuz they can't figure out how to restring their Tiajuana-made Nylon-string guitars or their $99 Squiers... the bridge on the Squiers is so stupid simple, no trem and the string doesn't even go thru the body!

Comment

Working...
                              X