banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of making a Tele with pure Gretsch Roundup vibe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of making a Tele with pure Gretsch Roundup vibe.

I posted this over at TDPRI:

Originally posted by B Bent
    I have a love hate thing with Gretsch. I love the look, vibe, sound, you name it I love it. The part I don't love is having a guitar that will set me back $2k that I don't absolutely love the feel of. I went through 5 or 6 Gretsch guitars early on and finally just had to conclude I am a Fender scale man and I am specifically a Tele neck and body shape guy as well.

Still, every time I lays eyes on a western-themed, knotty pine Roundup I die a little on the inside for not having one. I know though, if I get one, I will eventually grow tired of the feel, so I got thinking, why not build a Tele and make it absolutely as close to the Gretsch as possible?!

I'm thinking knotty pine body, Gretsch orange, leather around the body edge, Dynasonics and the whole 9 yards. I think I have a good grasp on how to do pretty much everything, but I do have a few questions about some things I am not quite sure about.

I would want to do a "G" brand on the front of the guitar just like the Gretsch since my name is Greg, but I don't know the best way to do that. Suggestions?

Also, one way I will deviate from the Gretsch is by using a maple neck and fretboard. I forgot to mention one of my issues with Gretsch is the fretboard material. I am a maple guy all the way. The Gretsch has these super cool desert-themed inlays. Would it look stupid to try something like this on maple and if not, how would you?

Any other suggestions or things I am missing?

Here's my inspiration:

I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!
Working...
X