banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I mayhave found something wrong with my ENGL amp - what does this mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I mayhave found something wrong with my ENGL amp - what does this mean?

I heard a while ago on this forum that to help diagnose bad tubes, one thing you could do was to get a pencil with a rubber on the end and tap very very lightly with the rubber on each individual tube and listen for crackles or something. Well i did this to my ENGL for the first time and this is what i found.

I just got a pencil eraser on the end of a pencil and very lightly tapped the tubes inside my amp while it was turned on (with the guitar volume down). None of the preamp tubes seemed to make any noise but the power amp tubes did.

V8 seemed to make a clear echo sortof noise every time the rubber tapped it gently. And this seemed to get louder as i turned the volume up. But the left power tube V7 (left when looking at it front on) didnt make any echo type noise, just a very faint weird noise which i could barely hear, almost like a very very faint spring type noise...you could barely hear it. And this power tube V7 didnt produce any noise no matter what channel or master volume i selected.

Does this mean anything?
    My Soundclick page.

Re: I mayhave found something wrong with my ENGL amp - what does this mean?

Is there a sound problem in your amp? I mean why are you checking the tubes? If it sounds fine it is. If it sounds bad then you have to change BOTH power amp tubes since they should be matched. Ways to diagnose a problem with power tubes is this: Drop in volume, bad distortion, lack of dist. buzzy, does not light up, color is blue, weak sound. Preamp: loss in gain, noisy, weak sound. Preamp tubes can lat 2 years on regular play, power about a year or so. Hope this helps. Tapping tubes can damage them!
    Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
    Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
    Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
    Epiphone LP Special w/JB
    Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
    Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
    1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
    Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

Originally posted by Reckless Abandon
      color is blue

not so shure about this one.... check this out.
      '01 Gibson Les Paul Standard (stock BB V's)
      Squier Fat Strat (stock/duckbucker/stock)
      '66 Fender Bassman
      Fender Champion 600
      Fender Stage 100

Comment

Blue is not a sign of a bad power tube. All my power tubes in my Marshall and Mesa glow blue. Bright red is a different story.

YA, get that amp to a qualified tech and get it checked/re-tubed. A bench diagnostic will likely run ~$40 and if you need tubes it'll run a bit more. At least you'll know for sure of that amps status. Tubes can be damaged during shipping/transportation and they can last for a year or a day depending on how the tube Gods are smiling at you.

Bad tubes are by far the most common cause of lacking tone and amp failure in a tube amp. Considering how much trouble that amp is giving you tonally it's probably in your best interest to get it checked out by a pro.
        www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
        www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
        http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

As soon as soundclick clears my clips ill have some links to a couple of quick clips i made of the ENGL for all you guys to hear what im talking about.
          My Soundclick page.

Comment

Working...
          X