New D'addario NYXL strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New D'addario NYXL strings

yeah, the ones people got freebies of....

I picked up a set at GC today and threw them on- comparing them to a 3 day old set of regular XLs of the same gauge (10-46). Jeebus...the NYXLs are like I re-strung with bridge cable. Serious tension increase, like I jumped up to 11s. On a positive note they definitely sound good acoustically, my Les Paul sounds twice as loud/big (exaggeration, but a significant difference) unplugged. Once my little girl wakes up from her nap, I will plug 'em in and see if they sound any good.

anyone else notice the tension diff?

Right now, I am feeling like I just threw 12 bucks down the crapper (wouldn't be the first time, but I am desperate to find a longer lasting set of strings that are not coated)
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Re: New D'addario NYXL strings

ughh. wish I would have read that review beforehand

If they sound that good and last, I would buy a set of 9s to try.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Was just reading reviews on them as I was intruded, as soon as I read the higher tension mentions I was done reading. I love my good old EXL110 D'Addario's, only string brand I'll use...but adding tension would only make them worse not better.
      www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Well,I just jacked around with them for an hour or so.

They do sound better IMO than standard XLs. The wounds are clearer and the plains are less dry sounding. They do have that grindy midrange still of Dads, but it has mellowed some already. Tension is higher,but they seem to be relaxing a bit. Lots of low end, had to jack the bass down a couple notches.

My fingers turned completely black playing them,.so we will see how corrosion resistant they are by tomorrow.

I will give em a.few days, but so far, not seeing remotely close to 12 bucks worth of string. In fact, if you like Dads, but want just a bit warmer, sweeter, clearer tone, buy the new EVH strings they make for Fender. Those are super nice and half the price of the NYXLs.

Comment

Sorry, musta closed the thread by accident.

Comment

Thanks Jeff...Will stick with my tryed and true EXL/XLs...2 things turned me off..Higher tension(bad) and black on your fingers!

Same could be said for the EB Cobalts..Something new and exciting but pricey and they didn't last any longer than the regular EBs I use on some guitars..Seems the earlier technology still stands..

If it ain't broke,don't fix it! Right?
            Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
              Thanks Jeff...Will stick with my tryed and true EXL/XLs...2 things turned me off..Higher tension(bad) and black on your fingers!

Same could be said for the EB Cobalts..Something new and exciting but pricey and they didn't last any longer than the regular EBs I use on some guitars..Seems the earlier technology still stands..

If it ain't broke,don't fix it! Right?
              Amen.

I am going to try a set of Cleartones next, but if they do not live up, I will jiust bite the bullet and put on a new set of Slinkys every week to 10 days. They sound and feel great for the time they last.

I saw my GC had the new M-steel slinkys for 13 bux a pack. I wish they would use that maraging steel on standard nps slinkys instead of a cobalt wrap on the wounds.

Comment

I've had one of the demo sets on my strat for a month or three now. I think they're excellent. I don't know if I'd pay $12 for a set, but that goes for any strings. I get my XL's for $3.79, so I can't imagine that these NYXL's would last three times as long as a regular set.

That said, they still sound excellent after being on my guitar for a while now. If they were $8 I would do it but not for $12.

It's also worth noting that I noticed no increase in tension in my set. Then again, I did go from a EB Hybrid set to the NYXL 10's. That may have something to do with it... But they feel like 10's to me.
                Custom neck-thru strat
                1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                1995 PRS CE24
                D'avanzo #8
                Breedlove Solo Concert
                1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Do they advertise them as higher tension? makes no sense. thanks for the heads up. Ill stick with my normal daddario guage!
                  Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

The tension increase is what turned me off of these when I tried one of the beta sets.

Comment

Odd, I just looked up the tension of the 10-46 NYXL set compared to the regular EXL110 10-46 and the E A and D are lower tension on the NYXL and the G B and E are the exact same.

EXL 110:
                      Item # Note Inches mm lbs kg
                      PL010 E 0.0100 0.2500 16.220 7.360
                      PL013 B 0.0130 0.3300 15.390 6.980
                      PL017 G 0.0170 0.4300 16.580 7.520
                      NW026 D 0.0260 0.6604 18.380 8.340
                      NW036 A 0.0360 0.9144 19.040 8.640
                      NW046 E 0.0460 1.1684 16.910 7.670

NYXL:

www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by XSSIVE View Post
                        Odd, I just looked up the tension of the 10-46 NYXL set compared to the regular EXL110 10-46 and the E A and D are lower tension on the NYXL and the G B and E are the exact same.

EXL 110:
                        Item # Note Inches mm lbs kg
                        PL010 E 0.0100 0.2500 16.220 7.360
                        PL013 B 0.0130 0.3300 15.390 6.980
                        PL017 G 0.0170 0.4300 16.580 7.520
                        NW026 D 0.0260 0.6604 18.380 8.340
                        NW036 A 0.0360 0.9144 19.040 8.640
                        NW046 E 0.0460 1.1684 16.910 7.670

NYXL:

So what do ya think is going on with these new strings and the higher tension feel? Just the forum bro's imagination?
                        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Yeah. I saw the specs.

They measure tension s on a 6 in line headstock with 25.5 scale. A 3x3 even with gibbo scale make for more (unbalanced) tension on high e and b strings.

But as I said, it was back to back with a set of XLs of the exact same gauge, with just a few hours play time. Thats as apples to apples as you can get.

By all means go spend 12 bucks to see for yourselves

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
                            Yeah. I saw the specs.

They measure tension s on a 6 in line headstock with 25.5 scale. A 3x3 even with gibbo scale make for more (unbalanced) tension on high e and b strings.

But as I said, it was back to back with a set of XLs of the exact same gauge, with just a few hours play time. Thats as apples to apples as you can get.

By all means go spend 12 bucks to see for yourselves
                            I won't be spending the 12 bucks!

Comment

Man I still haven't even thrown on my free set.

Lemme Dimebag out on one of my guitars and pop these strings.

Comment

Working...
                              X