X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New D'addario NYXL strings

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
    I'm not going to read that through until you edit it and add paragrahs
    He must be from the Jack Kerouac school of writing (I know, that's a weird reference but it just came to me!).
    Al

Comment

I use em but haven’t fully compared them to regular XLs
      Guitars:
      Daemoness Atlantean (unknown Bareknuckles) D
      PRS SE Mark Holcomb (Alpha/Omega set) Drop C
      ESP LTD EC-1000 FR (EMG Het Set) D
      Jackson USA WR1 Absinthe Frost (EMG 81/85) D
      Ibanez MMM1 (Blackouts) Drop A
      Ibanez RGIT20FE-SBF (Loomis Blackout Neck/Mick Thomson Blackout Bridge) Drop C
      Ibanez SZ320 (ibanez/duncan pickups) Drop D
      Schecter Synyster Gates Custom (Invaders set) D
      Aristides 060 (Bareknuckle Aristides Customs) D

Comment

I tried these strings when they first came out and didn't like them at all. Go figure that a couple of years later, I dig them. I have these on a few guitsrs since I'm a big 10-48 fan and Dunlop is the only company to sell an outright set of 10-48. Just found out that you can buy NYXL singles in .048. Damn. Kinda screwed myself now if I love the 10-48s lol. They are pricey, but I have noticed these don't age as quickly as the Dunlops and the tone stays intact longer. I have a 11-52 set on my strat and I often leave the guitar out in the open. Strings still sound good 2 months later.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by YeRedHouseOverYonder View Post
          I tried these strings when they first came out and didn't like them at all. Go figure that a couple of years later, I dig them. I have these on a few guitsrs since I'm a big 10-48 fan and Dunlop is the only company to sell an outright set of 10-48. Just found out that you can buy NYXL singles in .048. Damn. Kinda screwed myself now if I love the 10-48s lol. They are pricey, but I have noticed these don't age as quickly as the Dunlops and the tone stays intact longer. I have a 11-52 set on my strat and I often leave the guitar out in the open. Strings still sound good 2 months later.

Soundwise I get 3 months, and 4 months if I clean em.
          Corrosion starts In maybe 2 months (varies and usually mild darkening of the strings, not full on rust.)
          Guitars:

Comment

Lol, go figure. I should probably start cleaning my strings to make these last longer ha.

Comment

Originally posted by YeRedHouseOverYonder View Post
              Lol, go figure. I should probably start cleaning my strings to make these last longer ha.

Elixirs are the best for longevity of tone and time it takes for corrosion to set it but they are weak as hell and snap real easy for me.
              Guitars:

Comment

Originally posted by kirbyg View Post
                The tension increase is what turned me off of these when I tried one of the beta sets.
                Saw the same thing on increased tension with my beta set. Will say they were louder and did last longer. I would have considered them at a couple bucks more but not at almost 3X the price of the XL 120's I normally use.
                Guitars
                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by 6stringerguy View Post
                  Elixirs are the best for longevity of tone and time it takes for corrosion to set it but they are weak as hell and snap real easy for me.
                  Agreed on the easy to break and also to me they sound dull and dead out of the pack.
                  Guitars
                  Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                  Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I didn't like any of the Elixir strings. I agree they just sound dull to the same point for a very long time.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                      I didn't like any of the Elixir strings. I agree they just sound dull to the same point for a very long time.
                      I must be out of the loop -I didn't know Elixir made regular electric strings -I know them for acoustic strings -which are are ok and last, but not as good the Coated Daddario Phosphor Bronze or Martins PBs(Made by DAddario) for their sound but WAYYYY better than the unforgivably bad Ernie Ball Everlast.

If their electric coated are anything like their Acoustic coated they are just OK -nothing to look forward to but last a long time.
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Placing a condom on a guitar string is never a good idea IMO. Sounds like old strings with the tone knob rolled down.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                          Placing a condom on a guitar string is never a good idea IMO. Sounds like old strings with the tone knob rolled down.
                          I agree. Good metaphor.

I've tried elixirs once and playing them indeed feel like using condom.
                          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                          Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                            I agree. Good metaphor.

I've tried elixirs once and playing them indeed feel like using condom.
                            Elixirs have their place -on an acoustic that gets played once in a while or a guitar you take on non gig trips or outside

but a coated string on an electric? just weird-are they solving a real problem?

These savages should just learn to wipe their strings after playing or hold off purchasing one MrRib every weeks to save the money to buy strings a little more often.
                            Last edited by NegativeEase; 11-23-2018, 01:30 PM.
                            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                            X