Cleartone strings, opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cleartone strings, opinions?

I got some Cleartones installed finally. They are very sticky feeling, like very old, rusted strings tend to feel, but with uniform consistency. It's not bad if you like to play blues and do lots of bends, the stickiness help you keep the string under your fingers. It also makes pull-offs more snappy, like shooting off a rubber band. But if you're shredding, or doing a jazz style that requires sliding your fingers along the string in lieu of bends and dives, your fingers can get hunk up on the stickiness. After some practice I bet you can learn to work with it, but I think it would be needless effort when you can always get Elixers instead. Good for blues / funk, not good for technical playing. As for sound, they sound like electric guitar strings.

Comment

I hate the Dadario coated....last a few days more then regular strings. Never tried clearton but read lots of bad comments about them. My guess is they are similiar to D'Adario's.
      Love the elixirs....wish they'd come up with a normal coating that feels like a regular string.
      One thing for sure is they keep their ring for months. I just replace the steel strings every couple weeks and can get three months out of them. I buy the 10 packs of plain steels.
      There's a reason Taylor puts them on all their guitars. A turd guitar will sound like a rose with Elixirs. When people compare Martins and Taylors you always have to ask are the strings the same. Taylor would lose 25% of their sales if they did away with Elixirs on all their guitars.

Comment

You dug up a six year old thread to spew nonsense?
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by goodtimes54321 View Post
          I hate the Dadario coated....last a few days more then regular strings. Never tried clearton but read lots of bad comments about them. My guess is they are similiar to D'Adario's.
          Love the elixirs....wish they'd come up with a normal coating that feels like a regular string.
          One thing for sure is they keep their ring for months. I just replace the steel strings every couple weeks and can get three months out of them. I buy the 10 packs of plain steels.
          There's a reason Taylor puts them on all their guitars. A turd guitar will sound like a rose with Elixirs. When people compare Martins and Taylors you always have to ask are the strings the same. Taylor would lose 25% of their sales if they did away with Elixirs on all their guitars.
          I absolutely hate Elixers. Overpriced strings that leave white snow all over your clothes and case.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

i use elixer nanoweb on my acoustics since i barely play em and changing strings before each time i play isnt something im going to do. i would never put them on my electrics and i dont really care for the way they sound on acoustic either but i havent found a coated string i like the sound of. i tried a few sets of cleartone electric strings and i thought they were fine but i use nickel strings 90% of the time on electric

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              I absolutely hate Elixers. Overpriced strings that leave white snow all over your clothes and case.
              That flaking has not been a problem for me with them since they came out with their nanoweb coating more than a decade ago. They even hold up well when playing slide. Older polywebs were pretty bad for it though.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                You dug up a six year old thread to spew nonsense?
                Based on the amount of his activity since joining, I think he just probably googled/searched for some strings related thread and he forgot to check how old it was. No biggie in my book, been there, done that. Though that doesn't make me agree with what he said. Not with a single word of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  leave white snow all over your clothes and case.
                  Erm... I think your choice of words might be subject of misinterpretation, Dave.

Thank you for the chuckle, though!

/Peter
                  Last edited by Discharged; 12-17-2019, 02:25 AM.
                  Peter Pedersen aka Discharged
                  Kolding, Denmark

Comment

Working...
                  X