Thoughts on Fender LSR Nut for Strat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Fender LSR Nut for Strat?

Hey folks. I just got a 2002 American Standard Strat and it is already fitted with Fender Deluxe Locking Tuners. To better assist with tuning stability for whammy use, I am thinking about getting the LSR nut. I have read good things about it but wanted to see what people here had to say about it. I am probably going to have the trem setup for dive only, as that is 90% of what I use a whammy for, depressing the bar and pulling up to pitch on chords and single notes to give a slide type of feeling. I am also considering the Callaham upgrades parts kit for the saddles, springs and block, but would rather swap out the pickups for something noiseless. Anyways, what are some thoughts?
    Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
    Ibanez RG1570 Custom
    PRS McCarty STD
    '71 Gibson SG Custom
    Bogner Alchemist 2x12
    Vox AD15VT

Re: Thoughts on Fender LSR Nut for Strat?

A Tusq nut would be easier, and wouldn't require such modification. Unless you're getting it professionally installed, I wouldn't do it.
    Last edited by trevorus; 04-06-2014, 02:55 PM.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
    Originally posted by Securb
    The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Yeah, I'd rather do a Tusq or Graphite nut and spend a little money every two years on some Big Bend's Nut Sauce.

Bill
      When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Either way, I am having a great local tech install the new nut. I do have a tusq nut on my Carvin C66 and it seems to work very well with keeping in tune with my hip shot 2 point trem and tremsetter. Why would you folks not go for the LSR?
        Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
        Ibanez RG1570 Custom
        PRS McCarty STD
        '71 Gibson SG Custom
        Bogner Alchemist 2x12
        Vox AD15VT

Comment

I have a LSR on my Strat and I love it. Great tone and sustain, I also have locking tuners on it. If you are having a pro do the install I can not see any reason for not doing it.

Comment

I've got one on my Warmoth Strat with Planet Waves locking tuners on it, and 10-46 strings. I've had no issues with it and it does seem to help tuning return to the right place when I use the trem on it.
            Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Here's a pic of one installed:

The end of the fretboard has to be shave or carved off to install the LSR. Be aware that to return to original later, the wood would have to be replaced and recut for a regular nut.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
              Originally posted by Securb
              The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Here is my install. Pretty clean.

Comment

I have it on my 2004 Am Dlx Strat. No issues whatsoever. Love it!

Comment

I have some strats that came with it, and while I have no problem with them, I would not convert an existing guitar to an LSR. Any tuning issues you have with the nut can be solved with a properly cut and lubed nut, no need to go LSR unless you prefer that style nut.
                    -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                    “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

LSR is an overengineered solution to a simple problem that can be cured by plain-old good workmanship. It also requires permanent modification to your nut slot. I'd never convert a guitar that didn't already have one. I'd first have your stock nut fine tuned. Then, if that doesn't work out, try a Tusq XL nut (not regular Tusq; that is just plastic, no better than any other plastic nut), also fine tuned by a respected professional.
                      Originally posted by LesStrat
                      Yogi Berra was correct.
                      Originally posted by JOLLY
                      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I'm not saying it doesn't work, but if your strat doesn't already return very closely to pitch, there's no garantee this will fix it. I've owned two strats:
                        Jeff beck model with lsr nut. Wouldn't stay in tune. Replaced the bridge, tuners, an nut, never stayed in tune.

Still have my mim '95 strat with 50's style open top tuners. Put a callaham bridge on it. I can do dive bombs all day, stays in tune.
                        nobody loves me but my mama... and she could be jivin' too.

Comment

thank you all for the input, it means a lot. Now if the trem comes back to pitch after being used, but it must be depressed to return to pitch after bending strings, does this mean something is being caught up at the nut or is the bridge having trouble returning to zero?
                          Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
                          Ibanez RG1570 Custom
                          PRS McCarty STD
                          '71 Gibson SG Custom
                          Bogner Alchemist 2x12
                          Vox AD15VT

Comment

Originally posted by BluesGuyJ View Post
                            Hey folks. I just got a 2002 American Standard Strat and it is already fitted with Fender Deluxe Locking Tuners. To better assist with tuning stability for whammy use, I am thinking about getting the LSR nut. I have read good things about it but wanted to see what people here had to say about it. I am probably going to have the trem setup for dive only, as that is 90% of what I use a whammy for, depressing the bar and pulling up to pitch on chords and single notes to give a slide type of feeling. I am also considering the Callaham upgrades parts kit for the saddles, springs and block, but would rather swap out the pickups for something noiseless. Anyways, what are some thoughts?
                            My situation is the oposite.
                            My American Deluxe came with the LSR. I've tested others Deluxe with just the bone (or pseudo-bone) nut and, I honestly prefer the traditional nut.
                            The LSR introduces some kind of "zing" on the high end that some times drives me mad.

I've got mine on hands of a fellow friend luthier to substitute the LSR with a bone nut.
                            I would go for a bone nut, that is a proven enhancement to your sound.
                            My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
                            My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

Originally posted by trevorus View Post
                              Here's a pic of one installed:

The end of the fretboard has to be shave or carved off to install the LSR. Be aware that to return to original later, the wood would have to be replaced and recut for a regular nut.
                              All you have to do is widen the nut slot a little bit. There's no need to make a whole Floyd-like nut shelf like that.
                              Originally posted by LesStrat
                              Yogi Berra was correct.
                              Originally posted by JOLLY
                              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X