banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140723_145444.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	5780213

This is not really a build persay, just a customized warmoth. I did the woodburning on this one and it is getting a set of Slugs for neck and bridge. Hardware is going to be black. Neck is a warmoth birdseye maple with abalone inlays. There are contours so it actually is round on a not flat surface which is why the circle looks slightly flattened in one quadrant. It is solid swamp ash, very lightweieght. Finish is clear deft lacquer which is currently being applied. I believe 4-5 coats since this pic. About 15-20 more should do the trick.
    Last edited by Gibson 1964; 07-25-2014, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Just finished making this body yesterday, three layers of Tru Oil Sealer and Filler and one coat of Tru Oil finish so far. Padauk body in case anyone was wondering.

Name:	IMG_0883.jpg
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	5780250

Name:	IMG_0881.jpg
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	5780251
      Speak through your fingers. Let your heart play, not your mind.

Comment

Back to the Birdz ..........................

Comment

here is the latest
          steel body guitar battleworn finish

Name:	10461658_750009305058483_6888559845001306540_n.jpg
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	5780253
          Heavy Duty

Comment

Originally posted by Strange Guitars View Post

[URL=http://s68.photobucket.com/user/jsh1970/media/000_1332_zps945a3844.jpg.html][IMG]http://
            love the top, is that stained ash or oak? Almost looks like Zebrawood with a different figuring

Comment

Originally posted by t1r12003 View Post
              love the top, is that stained ash or oak? Almost looks like Zebrawood with a different figuring
              That is a 2 piece ol re-claimed pine of some sort............I "smoke" these......just a bit of burn, brings out the pitch/sap stuff, sand back the grains, makes for some good builds.
              I get the "stain" from a combo of the smoke and a Boiled Linseed + the sanding to achieve the "look". Thanks !!

Comment

• Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

Got most of the parts for this guy... Trying to decide whether I want to route it for the neck humbucker or leave it as an esquire. Body is swamp ash, neck is warmth 59 round back with their 10-16" compound radius.

Edit: the humbucker is missing pole pieces because I'm experimenting with using alnico slugs in a traditional humbucker for better/more authentic split sounds
                Last edited by jimijames; 07-28-2014, 03:10 PM. Reason: explanation
                Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Originally posted by jimijames View Post
                  Got most of the parts for this guy... Trying to decide whether I want to route it for the neck humbucker or leave it as an esquire. Body is swamp ash, neck is warmth 59 round back with their 10-16" compound radius.

Edit: the humbucker is missing pole pieces because I'm experimenting with using alnico slugs in a traditional humbucker for better/more authentic split sounds
                  Where did you order this guitar body/neck from?

Comment

Originally posted by Diminished Triad View Post
                    Where did you order this guitar body/neck from?
                    Guitar neck and body aren't screwed together yet, that was just a crude mock up (sorry, should have been more specific.)

Neck is warmoth, body came from Animl (forum member) who was selling a perfectly finished one piece swamp ash body for $80... I had the cash so I bit. I still need to hit it with some nitro clear but other than that it's good to go. Well, except for the 3-4 dents that seem to come from just moving it around. Le sigh. I will fix those too before putting everything together. Finish though I'm 80% sure is the reranch color sherwood green...

Neck is unfinished, I'm just going to do a few thin coats of shellac, sand, few thin coats of tru oil, sand, and then be done with it.
                    Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                    I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Almost finished! Still waiting for the third DPDT switch. After that I only have to adjust intonation.

Turned out great. Strings are 9-46 XL.

E: So technically, the body shape is taken from Ibanez GSZ and modified a little during the sawing and drawing. Neck is one-piece maple with maple fretboard, originally from Kramer Focus. Pickups are two nameless single coils and Jackson CVR2 at bridge, all mounted straight to wood. Bridge is some hardtail Strat replacement, string-through. Front rout, pups wired in series and every pup has its own ON-OFF switch, single 500k vol pot. Wood is burned and then sanded and cleaned, finished with 3 layers of matte lacquer.

Not perfect in any level, but IŽm starting to like it more and more. Need to change the nut sometime but I can live with it.
                      Last edited by BeatTheBastard; 08-02-2014, 05:45 AM.
                      Jackson JS30
                      Squier Strat Ž99
                      Project-Ibanez - something?
                      Ex-Pinecaster - bad choice of wood, man

Comment

I finished restoring my very first guitar just recently.

Thread:

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...irst-one/page3

videos:

Wackor
                        Ørdøg
                        NecroPolo
                        Diabolus in Musica
                        SIDrip Alliance
                        Book of Shadows
                        RKH

Comment

Comment

Comment

Just took the black and blue caster to my local music shop to have the holes professionally drilled in the neck heel and to get a final setup done after the tech attaches the neck. I know it's not me doing it but he's got years of experience and if it gets screwed up I can call him on it. Turns out I bought the parts, he gets all the fun. Or most of it, I did fill the previous holes in the neck. I'm thinking of buying a single layer gloss black pickguard for it to go with the black hardware etc. I already have black pickup covers and knobs. Or should I just stick with white pickup covers and knobs to go with the maple neck and fretboard? Any opinions?
                              Squier Bullet Special or a Squier Partscaster into a ZOOM G1Next into either a Fender Frontman 25R or a Vox Pathfinder 15R.

"Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and defeat you with experience." ~Mark Twain

I like to remember that Jesus loves me, even if everyone else thinks I'm a pain in the butt...

Comment

I have now received all of the parts for my Les Paul build. This is all going off to my guitar tech tomorrow for assembly. I'll post pics when its complete.

Precision Guitar Kits Contoured heel & belly cut Les Paul - 60's slim neck
                                Faber Aluminium tailpiece
                                Faber Bridge & hardware
                                Faber keystone tuners
                                David Barfuss Beano Bluesbreaker pickups
                                Gibson plastics
                                Gold speed knobs
                                CTS 500k 5% TVT pots
                                Alpha 500k push / push pot
                                Switchcraft selector and jack
                                Schaller straplocks
                                Luxe Bumble Bee Woman Tone .015mfd & .022mfd capacitorsClick image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-11 18.25.59.jpg
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	5780467Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-11 18.26.37.jpg
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	5780468

Comment

Working...
                                X