banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gtrjunior
    replied
    Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

Originally posted by Lucius Paisley View Post
    Bought a much better, temperature controlled, soldering iron last week, spent today desoldering all the wiring for the parts of the Samick LP and Artist Series guitars. The new iron made a HELL of a difference.

Even if I did forget to remove the small plastic covering on the tip before turning it on.

Got some new screws from a place, and just put the 'upgraded' pickups in. The pickups of which are stamped 'SAM SUNG' which I know is an item of contention among owners of Epiphone guitars back when Samick built them, and Gibson have denied it completely.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96718[/ATTACH]

So now I wait until I can have somebody check out the pots and switches to see if the old ones can be salvaged, or if I need to swap to the newer ones, which I'm sure actually worked. Even if one did have a cracked stem holder.

I would like to keep the original switch for 'authenticity' purposes, but whatever happens, happens.
    What iron did you get?
    I just ordered a Weller 40W.

Leave a comment:

• Lucius Paisley
    replied

Bought a much better, temperature controlled, soldering iron last week, spent today desoldering all the wiring for the parts of the Samick LP and Artist Series guitars. The new iron made a HELL of a difference.

Even if I did forget to remove the small plastic covering on the tip before turning it on.

Got some new screws from a place, and just put the 'upgraded' pickups in. The pickups of which are stamped 'SAM SUNG' which I know is an item of contention among owners of Epiphone guitars back when Samick built them, and Gibson have denied it completely.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SamLP.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	5813278

So now I wait until I can have somebody check out the pots and switches to see if the old ones can be salvaged, or if I need to swap to the newer ones, which I'm sure actually worked. Even if one did have a cracked stem holder.

I would like to keep the original switch for 'authenticity' purposes, but whatever happens, happens.
    Last edited by Lucius Paisley; 03-16-2019, 10:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• kramersteen
    replied

Pete you're hands down the best luthiers on this forum. So many people talk the talk and big note themselves but damn man you produce the ****ing goods.

That is one fantastic koala.

Leave a comment:

• Peter Crossley
    replied

Originally posted by Lucius Paisley View Post
    Looks more like a zebra to me.
    Oh.....

You guys are paying attention.....................................

Leave a comment:

• Lucius Paisley
    replied

Originally posted by Peter Crossley View Post
    Koala Inlay....

Looks more like a zebra to me.

Leave a comment:

• Peter Crossley
    replied

Koala Inlay....

Leave a comment:

• Lucius Paisley
    replied

Update... Tracked one of these down and bought it today.

Name:	SamickArtist.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	5813144

So now I have some parts to transfer until I can afford better things.

It's just a shame that it's a right handed guitar, I much prefer the headstock on this. I'd change it over, but then the guide dots would be on the wrong side.

Oh well.

Also, what is it with people who can't look after their guitars? This was FILTHY, and of course the humbucker ring screws are rusted all to hell.

Leave a comment:

• Lucius Paisley
    replied

Well, after the pickups debacle, NOW I'm working on something...

Name:	1body.jpg
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	5812884

Need to install a whole new wiring system along with pickups. I'm trying to "restore " this guitar in a way that is new, but still has that 'antique' look. So I've kept the pickup rings (squares), the truss rod, selector, and wiring covers, the selector switch knob. I have also kept the square output jack cover even though one of the holes is cracked from somebody overtightening one of the screws. All the screws will be replaced because they're in horrible shape.

Name:	2head.jpg
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	5812885

The nut has come loose and there is some old glue in the slot that needs to be removed before I glue it back in, I'm just not sure if I'm going to replace it yet. It's plastic, but is very strong. Just that some jerk has gone over the string slots with a pen or texta of some sort and it looks awful.

Name:	3tuners.jpg
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	5812886

I think the tuners are fine, very responsive, held themselves in place well - I didn't even notice the nut had come loose until I undid all the strings - I definitely want to keep as much of the original guitar as I can, so it may just be a case of replacing the screws.

Name:	4strap.jpg
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	5812887

The cushions on the strap buttons were brittle and disgusting, the button at the bottom was fine, while the button at the top revealed a mess of aluminium foil which I took out and still looks like there's some in there. I guess it was just a cheaply made precaution because the screw held in place perfectly. I don't particularly want to go near the finish on my own with powertools, so I may get somebody more experienced to take a look at that.

Hopefully, I can bring this thing back from the dead and back to it's former glory (such as it was).

Leave a comment:

• Peter Crossley
    replied

Very subtle Tobacco Burst on this one..

Leave a comment:

• texred
    replied

Day-um.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• DavidRavenMoon
    replied

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• muttznmongrelz
    replied

Originally posted by YeRedHouseOverYonder View Post
    Just picked up my Gibson GA 5 and got this gorgeous beast. It came out better than expected. Going to plug it in tomorrow \m/

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
    Damn that’s purdy! Well done.

Leave a comment:

• muttznmongrelz
    replied

Everybody Wants One! I know it's been done a million times... Had the neck up for sale for about 2 1/2 weeks with minimal interest and was checking out bodies when the KNE popped up. Already have most of the rest of the parts for it so I figured...why not?

2018 USACG KNE Azusa “Frankenstein”: 2018 USACG Roasted Birdseye Maple Fretboard/Roasted Flame Maple Back, R3 1 11/16" Nut, 16" fretboard radius, 22 Jumbo 6100 frets, U shape back profile .84" - .91", Oil finish, Chrome Schaller Tuners/R3 Nut/String Retainer, 2018 KNE Azusa “Frankenstein” Striped 5lb 12oz Northern Ash Body, DiMarzio True Velvet Neck/Selector Switch/Vintage 80s Seymour Duncan JB TB-4J, DiMarzio 500k Push:Pull Volume with “Tone” Knob to switch pickups & hidden Fender TBX Tone, Vintage 1985 Floyd Rose Original Chrome w/42mm BBB, Eye Bolt Strap Buttons

Last edited by muttznmongrelz; 01-23-2019, 02:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Peter Crossley
    replied

Holidays are over... Back to work..
    funnily enough the colour and patterning on this guitar perfectly matches my dog... read of that what you may...

Leave a comment:

• ChAoZ
    replied

Made a Tele-Gib body for a mate

Name:	47579170_354595368452616_2725994229280014336_n.jpg
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	5810974

Leave a comment:

Working...
X