banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

Update... Tracked one of these down and bought it today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SamickArtist.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	5813144

So now I have some parts to transfer until I can afford better things.

It's just a shame that it's a right handed guitar, I much prefer the headstock on this. I'd change it over, but then the guide dots would be on the wrong side.

Oh well.

Also, what is it with people who can't look after their guitars? This was FILTHY, and of course the humbucker ring screws are rusted all to hell.

Comment

Koala Inlay....

www.crossleyguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Crossley View Post
        Koala Inlay....

Looks more like a zebra to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucius Paisley View Post
          Looks more like a zebra to me.
          Oh.....

You guys are paying attention.....................................
          www.crossleyguitars.com

Comment

Pete you're hands down the best luthiers on this forum. So many people talk the talk and big note themselves but damn man you produce the ****ing goods.

That is one fantastic koala.

Comment

Bought a much better, temperature controlled, soldering iron last week, spent today desoldering all the wiring for the parts of the Samick LP and Artist Series guitars. The new iron made a HELL of a difference.

Even if I did forget to remove the small plastic covering on the tip before turning it on.

Got some new screws from a place, and just put the 'upgraded' pickups in. The pickups of which are stamped 'SAM SUNG' which I know is an item of contention among owners of Epiphone guitars back when Samick built them, and Gibson have denied it completely.

Name:	SamLP.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	5813278

So now I wait until I can have somebody check out the pots and switches to see if the old ones can be salvaged, or if I need to swap to the newer ones, which I'm sure actually worked. Even if one did have a cracked stem holder.

I would like to keep the original switch for 'authenticity' purposes, but whatever happens, happens.
              Last edited by Lucius Paisley; 03-16-2019, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucius Paisley View Post
                Bought a much better, temperature controlled, soldering iron last week, spent today desoldering all the wiring for the parts of the Samick LP and Artist Series guitars. The new iron made a HELL of a difference.

Even if I did forget to remove the small plastic covering on the tip before turning it on.

Got some new screws from a place, and just put the 'upgraded' pickups in. The pickups of which are stamped 'SAM SUNG' which I know is an item of contention among owners of Epiphone guitars back when Samick built them, and Gibson have denied it completely.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96718[/ATTACH]

So now I wait until I can have somebody check out the pots and switches to see if the old ones can be salvaged, or if I need to swap to the newer ones, which I'm sure actually worked. Even if one did have a cracked stem holder.

I would like to keep the original switch for 'authenticity' purposes, but whatever happens, happens.
                What iron did you get?
                I just ordered a Weller 40W.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                  What iron did you get?
                  I just ordered a Weller 40W.
                  Nothing fancy. 48W temp controlled station.

Name:	iron.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	5813279

Comment

Building a goldtop, nice single piece of birdseye, that will unfortunately get covered in gold,
                    but it will make a great top.
                    the inlay is the Japanese symbol for gold, in gold MOP..

www.crossleyguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Crossley View Post
                      Very subtle Tobacco Burst on this one..

Damn, Peter!

Your stuff is absolutely amazing!
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by kramersteen View Post
                        Pete you're hands down the best luthiers on this forum. So many people talk the talk and big note themselves but damn man you produce the ****ing goods.

That is one fantastic koala.
                        And I totally love the "koalawood" top.
                        Last edited by GuitarDoc; 03-25-2019, 08:12 AM.

Comment

working on putting thick rosewood binding on one right now and it is an absolute exercise in patience to get around those horns!

Comment

A couple actually...

1986 Chandler Scalloped Maple Neck/NOS 1989 Kramer Pacer Custom I Body

2017 Carvin CS6C
                            MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
                            1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
                            1988 Kramer Nightswan
                            1989 Charvel Sambora
                            2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
                            Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star Combo
                            Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve

sigpic

Comment

Peter, your guitar work is amazing. I've always really loved it. But your inlay work is the best I've seen.

Do you typically use nitro or poly for the finish? It is outstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                                Peter, your guitar work is amazing. I've always really loved it. But your inlay work is the best I've seen.

Do you typically use nitro or poly for the finish? It is outstanding.
                                all nitro,
                                I use an oil based grain filler for the mahogany, Ruskins brand out of the UK..
                                its not bad, but I still need around 20-24 coats to get the finish I need..

Thanks for the kind words on the inlay, but I'm just a novice compared to guys like Larry Robinson and Grit Laskin... those guys are true artists..
                                my drawing skills are not there yet.. but gotta keep practising hey?
                                www.crossleyguitars.com

Comment

Working...
                                X