How much is a refret??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much is a refret??

Just bought a used axe that has some grooves in the frets and needs a fret job.. What is this going to cost?? No binding, ebony board. Is it hard to do? I could try it myself..?? thanks!
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: How much is a refret??

A good one will be $200-300 for an ebony board.

Comment

A guitar store in my town says $15 per fret. But not all the frets need to be changed. If you want to try it yourself, go ahead, but IMHO this is best left to the professionals.
      "After I die I shall return to earth as the doorkeeper of a bordello and I won't let a one of you in." -Arturo Toscanini

Comment

if the grooves arnt that bad, just level 'em and recrown. you can get all the stuff you need at StewMac for about 50 bucks. you'll deff. need a straitedge, raidus blocks, and recrowning file. good luck.
        This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

i charge about $250-300 for a refret that isnt a maple board and doesnt have binding, if it has either of those the price goes up. it is something you can do yourself but plan on making a few mistakes

Comment

Im starting to Fret this.. (pun intended)
            well. Ill have to wait awhile on this.. Im broke from buying the axe.
            Jeremy, didnt know you did this sorta thing.. Is maple more or less? Its ebony, no binding. 87 Carvin V220. Im guessing maybe its been done once already. the frets dont extend very far down into the board.
            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Anyone know where one could find some jumbo stainless fret material? I've got a good neck that really needs a refret and I don't want to pay someone to do it for me.

Comment

Fret materials and tools (and books and videos too) are available from Stew-Mac.
                John Cipollina August 24, 1943 - May 29, 1989

Comment

Christ Daves Guitar Shop refretted my epi les paul with 6100 fret wire for $140. $200-300 is expensive
                  Gear Owned.
                  PRS Modern Eagle Single Cut trem
                  PRS Custom 24
                  Splawn Nitro
                  Splawn 4x12 g12-75s/vintage 30
                  Zakk Wylde Wah
                  Maxon Od808
                  Boss tu-2
                  Boss Ns-2

Comment

Working...
                  X