Pre Amp Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre Amp Suggestions

Kind of at a loss here so I thought I'd ask you all for some suggestions.

I run a rack set up. Not too much stuff, power amp, effects process, pre-amp, tuner, enhancer that's about it.

I currently use a Marshall 9000 pre-amp. Yeah cheap I know hehe, got it used for $100. I can get a decent tone out of it through my processer and enhancer, but I'm looking for something more with tubes. (My Marshall is analog) I'd like a good (or decent at least) tube pre-amp. I'm looking to spend under $300, and not opposed to buying used. I need versitility, as I play everything from the Eagles to Metallica/hard metal thrash etc.

Been poking around a bit on-line but I can't seem to find too much in the way of just pre-amps or just tube pre-amps. I really like my rack set up, and don't want to go to an all tube head, although I may have to if I can't find what I want. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.

Re: Pre Amp Suggestions

The two best "affordable" preamps ($100-$200), IMO are the ADA MP-1 and the Peavey Rockmaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff5
      Kind of at a loss here so I thought I'd ask you all for some suggestions.

I run a rack set up. Not too much stuff, power amp, effects process, pre-amp, tuner, enhancer that's about it.

I currently use a Marshall 9000 pre-amp. Yeah cheap I know hehe, got it used for $100. I can get a decent tone out of it through my processer and enhancer, but I'm looking for something more with tubes. (My Marshall is analog) I'd like a good (or decent at least) tube pre-amp. I'm looking to spend under $300, and not opposed to buying used. I need versitility, as I play everything from the Eagles to Metallica/hard metal thrash etc.

Been poking around a bit on-line but I can't seem to find too much in the way of just pre-amps or just tube pre-amps. I really like my rack set up, and don't want to go to an all tube head, although I may have to if I can't find what I want. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.
      ADA MP-1
      Peavey Rockmaster
      Kasha Mod I

Those preamps are around your budget. You can also do different mods for the MP-1. Check www.adadepot.com for info.

Duke
      www.dukeofmetal.tk

Comment

Awesome thank you both. I don't think those are made new, so I'll probably have to pick up a used one, which is cool too. Still looking for any other options if anyone has any. Thanks again!

Comment

with a price tag eof 300, you wont get much. but some are out there. i second all the suggestions. they arent total high gain, but they do nicely in a pinch.
          but if you want a really cool rack pre, lets talk.

germ
          Jeremy Ledford
          Tone Guru Extroardinaire
          Tone Shop

Comment

Hands Down!!! Randall RM4!!!
            Egnater M4 (2) Recto, Blackface, Plexi
            VHT 2502
            (2) Randal XLT 4X12
            (2) Jackson SL2H USA Soloist (SH-1n, TB-6b)
            Jackson SL1 (Classic Stack, Classic Stack, TB-6b)
            Keeley TS-9 Mod Plus & TS-9 Baked Mod
            http://www.robertkeeley.com
            Line 6 Echo Pro and Mod Pro
            Chandler Digital Echo Delay

Comment

I totally agree with Burkwieser.... Randall RM4 is the way to go. But, unattainable on a $300 budget. It is IMHO the most versitile current production unit available.

Other impressive preamps include the Egnater IE4, Bogner Fish, CAE, and Soldano. These are high end products, built like tanks, and will last a lifetime.

If you are looking for something that you will end up keeping for a lifetime... then my advice is to save up a little more green and go with the Randall or Egnater.

BTW.. Check out this set up. This has many of the comonents in my rig. The Egnater and VHT is an awesome combo!

(2) Randall RM4 preamps, VHT 2502 Power amp, 2 2x12 Bogner cabs w/V30's and Lead 80's, '74 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop, '89 Gibson Les Paul Cherryburst, '93 Stratocaster, and a bunch of other stuff.

Comment

Working...
              X