How is the Marshall AVT series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is the Marshall AVT series?

HI guys i ornigally planned on getting a mesa boogie 50 watt recto head with a 2x12 cab but unfortunately due to budget restraints i cant afford one, so i decided to consider getting the Marshall AVT 50 head with maybe a avt 412 since is realtively cheap. I know it sobviously not gonna be as nice as a mesa head but really how would this rig sound? Would it be gig worthy? I play a fender MIM strat witha hot rail right now but witt he extra cash im saving form not buying the emsa head i might be able to get myself a gibson les paul studio instead.
    Proud Master of Strats.....

Re: How is the Marshall AVT series?

they're okay, i have the avt150 combo. while it is a good amp, it is terribly overpriced! for the price i got this i could've bought a used DSL50, which i'll be getting in the future, if you have the money i would get something different. look for used tube marshalls on ebay or something.

Comment

Well the good thng about the AVT 50 is its not very expensive and is VERY AFFORDABLE. ut is it gig worthy and enought o play ina band with? BTW im talking about an AVT50 head with the AVT 412 cabinet.

Comment

i think the 20 and 50 avts are good buys after that i feel theres better amps for the cash
        i own stuff

Comment

i have the avt 50 and it is a pretty sweet amp for the price. the cleans sound just like like an all tube amp, i love them. turn the gain all the way up and you get a SWEET blues lead tone, and at about half gain it's great for chording. very clear. the overdrive is pretty sweet, though it sounds somewhat like a solid-state when you have it down low. (it doesn't sound bad tho) the louder you turn it up, the more it sounds like an all tube amp. if you put something like a tubescreamer in front of it as a drive boost, then it kicks ass!!! on music123.com they give it the "music & sound award". this amp really depends on the equipment you have and such. i give it 4 stars. idk about the half stack tho, it may be better than the combo. the combo is REALLY REALLY loud tho, loud enough to jam with a drummer. im sure the half stack is definetly enough to gig with.

but my opinion, don't get the half stack. if you want a marshall half stack, try to find a used DSL on ebay. i'll tell you one thing, i'll never buy another new marshall. it's really not worth it, you can get better used marshalls for cheaper.

Comment

They're good amplifiers for the intermediate player. Good tones for the buck. For the more serious players, look elsewhere ... especially if you have the $.

Comment

it depends really on what avt model you want. I don't think i reccomend it for what you want. sure the avt50 halfstack would work just fine gigging for the money you could find and old jcm on ebay or used somehwhere and a cheap cab, the avt 50 is good i have the avt100 combo but i would never buy it as a halfstack.
              Deadbolt

Comment

I recommend you get one of these.

i'll soon be selling my avt50 and using the money toward a dsl 40 watt combo on ebay.

Comment

My main reason for wanting a half stack is so i can gig with it and play with a band. And since its a reasomably priced set up i dont have a probalem financially with it. Also i can use that money saved from not buying a mesa stack towards my real goal saving up to buy a gibson les paul. IM sure the marshall AVT50 head is mediocore but it can't be that bad? I mean im sure its loud enough and that stack will only cost me a little over a thousand bucks where as a mesa stack would cost me double or maybe even more! and i only make like 2500-3000 grand a summer so i dunno about blowing all of that in one shot on amps!

Comment

I'm gonna have to be the odd man out here... but I think the AVT's are crap. To my ears they're all buzzy with no definition, the speakers sound like they've got a blanket over them, and there's not enough power for the ratings.

I'd look into a used DSL50 or DSL401

...or if you really wanna go low-budget, a Marshall VS265R or VS100 head with 4x12 cab. Those two are the best-sounding hybrid amps I've played yet.

Comment

I got sucked in to getting the avt150h and slant cab when they first came out and i am still kicking myself. After my first gig with it i had to go get the other cabinet to put on the other side of the stage to get good sound response not only to me but in general. if you stand at a decent angle to the cabinet you really can't hear it very well as just a half stack. or that's what happened to me anyways. As a fullstack i can't complain. Goes extremely loud and i can get the sound i am looking for which is alot fuller tone. Also the 150watt rating is at 4 ohms i have been told... which means you would need it set up as a full stack to get the 150 since the avt cabs are 8 ohm. Not sure how the avt50's are set up.

I still wish i was smart enough to get the 1960 cab with it because at least then if i got rid of the head i would have a more standard cabinet but then again maybe the avt cabs would sound good with another head i haven't had a chance to try any great heads with them. It does have 30w celestions
                      boreddddddddddd

Comment

you're comparing $$$... I assume new... if so, why not look secondhand?
                        Homemade Tas Oak Tele w/ SD Custom 4 & strat Blue Lace Sensor, Boogie DC-3

Comment

I like the AVT50 combo I played. I *think* there wouldn't be much difference between the head and the combo. But I haven't played the head.

But when you get up to the AVT100, 150, I think they just turn to crap.
                          Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
                          Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
                          Originally posted by Sosomething
                          "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

Personally i prefer the sound of the MG series. In the rehearsal studios i have used both the 150H and the 100watt MG and i prefer the latter. Saying that i think you are far better off saving the extra cash or if you come across it, get a decent 2nd hand tube amp for the same money.

Comment

i have an avt 20 watt that i use for a bedroom amp. while its not the best, it'll do decent tones, especially for more of a classic rock distortion and has nice cleans. i only tried the avt 50 once, don't remember it sounding that much different from mine. but if it were me, i would go for the dsl, especially if it was going to be used for gigging.
                              Fender John Mayer Strat
                              Gibson SG Special w/ JB bridge
                              PRS Soapbar II SE
                              Bad Cat Cub IIR 1x12
                              Budda Twinmaster and matching 2x12 cab

Taylor 614CE

Comment

Working...
                              X