banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think i'm mellowing out (single coil guitar?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think i'm mellowing out (single coil guitar?)

Recently i've been doing a lotta stuff which is less OTT distortion wise, n i kinda fancy the idea of gettin a single coil guitar.

i think i still want a bridge humbucker though, but i want something that will sound fat, but single coily especially in the neck

I'm thinking strat or tele, but i dunno which route to go, could you give me some pointers?

all i know is i want a good clean sound that isnt harsh or too glassy, and quite full

ignore the fact i have a line 6, i'm gonna get a tube amp one day, n probably sell my Ibanez RG

The budgets gonna be around the 500 quid mark, (700 dollars about maybe 800) but it could go higher if its worth it

thanks guys
    My clips

Originally posted by Rid
    How do I block my hardtail?

Re: I think i'm mellowing out (single coil guitar?)

Fender Fat Strat -- that's two singles (neck/mid) and a humbucker in the bridge. Get that sweet single-coil tone for the solos and fancy licks, and the humbucker for fat, thick tones.

I see 'em around for like $400, I almost bought the Deluxe MIM version for $420, so it's not like they're pricey. You could use the extra cash to put some Duncans in there...

-X
    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

In that price range I'd try some low watt Laney's like the LC15 or VC30. They're have decent cleans and overdrive for the price.
      I agree with Empty Pockets on the MIM Fat Strat, they're affordable, just slap some Duncans in it and you'll be set. Try a few first because they all sound diferent for some reason even the same models will vary from each other

Comment

thanks guys, i think the mex strats retail a little higher here in britain.

the budget is just for the guitar, the amp i'll get during summer when i get some free time to get my band really going

are there any other alternatives to fender you'd reccomend?
        My clips

Originally posted by Rid

Comment

My vote goes to a Telecaster - it has good single coil qualities, but with an added snap that a Strat doesn't have.

Comment

Second the Tele.

Comment

You could also continue to save up for a tube amp and split the coils on your humbucker guitars. Doesn't your Ibanez has a single coil in the middle as well?
              Lot's of options that way.

Comment

Yeah the RG has a single coil in the middle, but i want away from that kinda guitar.

i dont want a floyd or a skinny neck, both of my other guitars have split coils, but it stil wont ever be as good as a real single coil

if i have a bucker in the bridge i dont want something super hot, i want this to be a guitar i can get really great clean tones outa
                My clips

Originally posted by Rid

Comment

Well in that case maybe you could try Warmoth.

Comment

warmoth sound pretty cool to me, but i wonder how much it would cost me to get it to the UK.

what would you reccomend for the woods for the sound i want? just classic strat/ tele woods - alder?
                    My clips

Originally posted by Rid

Comment

Hmm, I say SX Strat (Alder)! I'm putting 3 single-coil sized humbuckers in mine (So far I have DiMarzio Fast Track 2 for bridge) and adding a parallel/series switch to them so I can get single and humbucker sounds from it. Either that, or I'll just split the coils naturally.

I like to have single-coil for cleans/light distortion and humbuckers for sustain-filled leads. Is this the type of versatility you're going for?
                      Watch My Videos
                      Photography
                      www.myspace.com/thebillyhong
                      "Anything worth living for is worth suffering for."

Comment

yeah thats what i want biu

except i think i want a single coil sound in the neck,

how would a p 90 sound though, if i tried a guitar which was H/s/p90?

is it just a big fat sounding single or does it loose the single coil clean sound because its a lot hotter
                        My clips

Originally posted by Rid

Comment

Working...
                        X