nut filing is driving me insane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: nut filing is driving me insane

I have no clue what the files you are using look like, and I have only had to delicately touch up my nuts. I used tip cleaners for an oxy torch, worked like a charm. I get them free but they probably only cost a buck and a harf at any welding supply shop.

Comment

Use a string as a file.

Comment

Originally posted by PS412 View Post
        I have no clue what the files you are using look like...
        As I referred to the original post, these are the Uo-Chiku files. I guess you can look them up if you're curious. I tried those torch cleaners, but I must have gotten the wrong kind because they did nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
          First of all, before giving any advice, let me answer your question...

Absolutely, without a doubt, no question about it, it IS your technique! NOT the files.

I think that you are wrong. The Uo-Chiko files make slots that are smaller than the corresponding string gauge, and I can't imagine a technique that would make slots that are smaller than the files that are making them. And of course that one I have was a completely different size.

Comment

I have 2 ancient sets of Ibanez nut files.... They basically look like these. There are 2 different size edges on each file from narrow to wide. A competent and experienced luthier can vary the width of the slot by leaning the file left and cut during cuts.

This is a very high quality 3 piece double sided Electric Guitar nut file set.  The brand is Hosco.  If you are not familiar with them, they are a company in Japan that makes fine Guitar luthier tools.  It come with sizes .010, .013, .017, .026, .036, .046  The set comes compl...

For plain strings, I also use a couple different width Exacto razor saws to remove the bulk of the nut material and finish with a few strokes of the tiniest nut file to make the bottom of the slot round.

As per Mr. Tondo's drawing above - that is the ideal we shoot for. For guitars with whammy systems, leave more meat above the string slot to keep it from falling out when dumping the bar.

Mr. Nognow - you say you are a newby, therefore you have no good technique. It's a learning curve, so keep practicing on your own stuff until you are better.

Mr. CTN - Right on! I started needing tri-focals by age 29, and for the last 20 years I've used an LED visor with sets of lenses for close up work on nuts, frets, and so on. They are indispensable for good work.
            Last edited by ICTGoober; 03-20-2019, 10:01 AM.
            aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by Strombasa View Post
              I think that you are wrong. The Uo-Chiko files make slots that are smaller than the corresponding string gauge, and I can't imagine a technique that would make slots that are smaller than the files that are making them. And of course that one I have was a completely different size.
              You obviously didn't read my post.

Read my post again (the whole thing) then retract what you just said. Files can't make slots that are smaller than they are, but they CAN make slots that are larger...like the example I gave in my post (that you failed to read or understand), a #9 file CAN make an appropriate slot for a #10 (or even a #11) string if you know what you are doing.
              Last edited by GuitarDoc; 03-20-2019, 01:42 PM.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Just to get back to the original question here, they provided me with a 0.013 file that actually was 0.012, and two others in the set were tight besides. Moral: Don't buy their sets, buy individuals at least a step above your anticipated string size. And measure them before you use them, if you can.
                Either that, or learn how to file a nut properly. I can use a .012 file to make a perfect slot for a .013 or even a .014 string, with little more effort than using the "properly sized" file.

Comment

Originally posted by greekdude View Post
                  Use a string as a file.
                  Only if you want to spend three weeks working on it (or forever if you are using the unwound strings to file a nut).

Yes, a really good suggestion. Or you could try using a straitened-out paper clip, or the edge of a credit card.

In all fairness, I think where you first heard of doing that, it was suggesting using a string to burnish the slot smooth after it was already filed.
                  Last edited by GuitarDoc; 03-21-2019, 06:00 AM.

Comment

I disagree with Mr. Erlewine here. He said that he sets the string height for the feel that he wants. May I modestly suggest that you set the height so that when you play a note on the first fret you're not stretching the string WAYYYY sharp?
                    That's learned in elementary nut slotting 101. It's assumed we're already up to slotting 103 where this video begins.

Even if you just set them "by the numbers", you'll be beyond "stretching the strings wayyy sharp", but you'll have an acceptable playing instrument. The best/most advanced way to do it is how it best feels to you (the player)
                    Last edited by GuitarDoc; 03-20-2019, 03:24 PM.

Comment

ICTGoober,
                      Oh my gosh! I don't know what's happening to me. I actually agree with what you said. (And this isn't the first time lately).
                      Last edited by GuitarDoc; 03-21-2019, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Re MrTondo's drawing...it really doesn't matter how high the nut is above the string. Once you get past the middle/center line/half way point of the string (as depicted in the drawing), none of the string touches any part of the nut anyway. There is no increased friction or binding. But, if you only make your nut slot as tall as half the width of the string, there is the risk of knocking it out of the slot when bending.

Comment

One more comment:

Mr Strombasa, why did you resurrect this 4 year old zombie? Just to question the technique/advice of a well respected world renowned luthier? I can assure you, judging from the nature of your comments, that when Mr. Erlewine made that video, he was 10 time the luthier that you could ever hope to be in your lifetime. (Perhaps, even I am too).
                          Last edited by GuitarDoc; 03-20-2019, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X