banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bone Nut + Graphite Saddles. Advice PLEASE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bone Nut + Graphite Saddles. Advice PLEASE!

I'm looking to install a bone nut into my strat.
    What would that do to the sound/resonance?
    Also my neck is 1 5/8 at the nut, but the only one at Allparts is 1 11/16.
    Is that still ok as far as slotting goes?

I'm also looking for a set of graphite saddles. (My strings have cut into my saddles on my strat plus I'm thinking maybe I can improve the sound)
    How do these influence the sound?

I'm looking at these right now...

Graph Tech PQ-8000-FO TUSQ Saddles (set of 6) for Strat With Hardware 13/16" x 7/16" x 1/4

I was also thinking maybe I could go with a roller nut instead to improve the tuning stability.
    Does anybody know these?
    my youtubes Instagram Medium blog
    A few original tunes: "The Grand Eclipse" and "Timeless Moments"

Re: Bone Nut + Graphite Saddles. Advice PLEASE!

Bone nuts, without question, sound better than anything else. I think graphite is the close second. Before changing nuts, try the graphtech stringsavers. On my strats,
    I eliminated string breakeage, and actually like the tone difference on the high strings.
    It takes the ice pick away. Even though the wound strings sound good with stringsavers, I still prefer the stock saddles, especially after the strings are starting to deaden. They sound deader quicker with the Graphtechs. For that reason, my strats
    have graphtechs on the G,B,E, but the stock saddles on the E,A,D. Looks a little funky, but the string to string balance sounds better to my ears.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

i have a friend with the LSR roller nut and he loves it .. my guess is that the tone is better with bone, but the tuning stability is really quite stable

cheers,
      t4d
      gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Cool thank you!
        I'm thinking I already have locking sperzels and if i put in a roller nut i'll be very very diveable. Right now if I dive the top 3 strings go sharp, the bottom 3 go flat (a bit). I'm gonna talk to my local guitar tech and see what he recommends.

I only know that Stevie used a bone nut on his number one, if only there was a roller nut with bone wheels in it LOL LOL !!!

Comment

Well, the TUSQ saddles aren't graphite. They're made to sound like ivory.

If you're going for "graphite" saddles, it's the Stringsaver saddles you want. They're really good for preventing string breakage.
          "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so." ~ Ford Prefect

Comment

frantic_rock - in a year or so, someone is gonna come out with roller sadles made of bone, it seems natural.....
            Godin SDXT - 59-ClassicStack-JB
            Martin D-15 - Fishman Neo-D
            Boss BD-2 - MXR dynacomp - Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 - Morley A/B/Y
            Crate VC-3112
            Brownsville NY J-Bass Copy
            Fender Bassman 60

Comment

Originally posted by KoreanGuitarMan
              Well, the TUSQ saddles aren't graphite. They're made to sound like ivory.

If you're going for "graphite" saddles, it's the Stringsaver saddles you want. They're really good for preventing string breakage.
              Hey so the TUSQ saddles will sound close to bone right? I don't really care about string breakage that much (they don't really break that much anyway. I always replace them before they break to get better intonation) I'm just focusing 100% on improving the sound of the guitar (resonance transfer, whatever)

Anybody suggest any wicked saddles ?

How does the roller nut influence the tone?

Comment

Working...
              X