Strings off will damage a guitar???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strings off will damage a guitar???

Will an electric guitar without strings damage it? I have heard that if you take all the strings off and leave them off for a certain period of time the neck may warp....

1. Is this true?

2. Generally how long would it take before the absence of strings on your electric guitar starts causing damage?

3. What will happen? And is it a permanent damage?
    _

Re: Strings off will damage a guitar???

i've heard this is true, but i really don't think it is. because if you buy a new guitar neck, it's never had strings on it.

if you have a thin neck with really heavy guage strings on it, (i mean like 13s) then take them off, the sudden change of tension MAY cause it to shape out a little bit. nothing a little truss adjustment can't fix.

if you know how to do truss adjustments, forget about it. it's not a problem.
    if you don't, learn how. (it's really easy)

Comment

I think, if you never let off the tension of the truss rod, then eventually over the years, yes it will warp. Unless you have a double action truss rod, which keeps it from flexing either way...

If you are going to store an electric without strings for whatever reason, i'd at least reccomend you reduce the tension from the truss rod.

It'll prolly take quite a while, but i don't know for sure, i've never tried it. What i presume would happen would be a warp of the neck, with the peghead moving away from your position when you hold the guitar... kinda like its folding in on itself, but not that drastic.
      Last edited by jmv; 04-11-2004, 08:24 PM.
      '01 Gibson Les Paul Standard (stock BB V's)
      Squier Fat Strat (stock/duckbucker/stock)
      '66 Fender Bassman
      Fender Champion 600
      Fender Stage 100

Comment

ive had my electric without strings for over 2 months, and nothing has happened to it.

its prbly gonna be that way again this summer, as ill only bring the acoustic to summer vaca, dont need to lug the 50 lb amp around....

no noticable damage, time will tell?
        Godin SDXT - 59-ClassicStack-JB
        Martin D-15 - Fishman Neo-D
        Boss BD-2 - MXR dynacomp - Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 - Morley A/B/Y
        Crate VC-3112
        Brownsville NY J-Bass Copy
        Fender Bassman 60

Comment

When you change the pick ups? dont you remove all the strings?
          Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

Originally posted by strat_master
            When you change the pick ups? dont you remove all the strings?
            well, yes... but that is for a short period of time. I'm figuring if you leave them off for a year or so, then maybe you'll start to have problems.
            '01 Gibson Les Paul Standard (stock BB V's)
            Squier Fat Strat (stock/duckbucker/stock)
            '66 Fender Bassman
            Fender Champion 600
            Fender Stage 100

Comment

It really depends on the quality of the neck. I left the strings off my Heritage for months while I was redoing the pickups and electronics, waiting for parts, etc., and I didn't even have to adjust the truss rod.

Comment

JohnJohn, that's really complex dude.

I used a wire cutter to snap all the strings off of my ibanez grx45 and left the strings off for well over 6 months, when I restrung finally, it took less than a full turn of the truss rod to get the neck straight.

Comment

It's really more of a problem with acoustic guitars, and it's the guitar top not the neck that can be damaged. Gradually releasing the tension helps prevent problems. On old violins, we're talking about the 200 yr old kind, one NEVER releases all the string tension, if it can be helped. Strings are replaced one at a time. Works for guitars, too. Electrics are tough enough that I don't think you'll ever have a problem. I've built quite a few, and never had a problem with a neck going out after it had been adjusted for the strings the player was going to use. Saw a mahogany neck bass, though, that looked like a roller coaster. Wrong wood for the task. The grain was the wrong direction.

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys!!! This helps a lot!
                    _

Comment

Originally posted by Scatterwound
                      Will an electric guitar without strings damage it? I have heard that if you take all the strings off and leave them off for a certain period of time the neck may warp....
                      So have others

1. Is this true?
                      Yes

2. Generally how long would it take before the absence of strings on your electric guitar starts causing damage?
                      Years to decades, depending on the guitar

3. What will happen? And is it a permanent damage?
                      Nobody can really say for sure, because almost nobody leaves their axes without strings that long. BUt chances are good a quick Trussrod-tweak will still fix it.

In other words, for all practical effects and purposes itīs

Crazyīs side.note an acoustic tops and old violins is valid, though. Thatīs where it getīs more interesting
                      Last edited by Zerberus; 04-12-2004, 12:32 PM.
                      Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Working...
                      X