banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

blues driver

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • blues driver

    would a boss blues driver be an interesting yet good overdrive for an 80s metalish tone? i dont want metal zones or metal pedals that everyone uses. i play through a bc rich nj warlock (no speedloader) and i want metallica tones without the gear that metallica uses so it sounds similar but not the same.
    we can be heroes

  • #2
    Re: blues driver

    The blues driver is closer to the tube screamer style of O.D. Depending
    on how much of the amps dist. your useing it could get you close?
    You might want to try a Boss OS-2 or the DS-1 or the orange pedal
    boss makes( I don't know the model #)
    http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: blues driver

      While I absolutely love the versatility and responsiveness of the BD-2, not to mention the ability to cut through a mix, it really isn't for you. It's a fantastic pedal for classic rock and blues, or bluesy-rock( ), but it just doesn't have a metal tone.

      Now, the pedal everyone seems to forget about is the old Boss Heavy Metal, HM-2. They go on ebay for about $30, do metal better than the MT-2, and not many folks are using it these days. I bet it would be perfect for you.

      I do't know how you plan to play metal without using distortion, playing Metallica without using a distortion pedal as opposed to OD. If you wanted to go for the big stuff, you could grab a Marshall JCM800. You'd have to save up your pennies, sure, but it would probably do everything you want it to.
      Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
      Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
      Originally posted by Sosomething
      "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

      The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: blues driver

        Bro, if you are relying on the BD2 as a stand alone source of overdrive, then you wonít get a metal tone no matter how hard you tryÖ if your intention is to use it as a booster for an already distirted amp, then itíll reward you well. The other pedal to fulfil this booster function is the Ibanez Tube screamer. I own both & I am happy that they act as my boosters.
        Psychic Horns

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: blues driver

          Originally posted by korovamilkdud
          While I absolutely love the versatility and responsiveness of the BD-2, not to mention the ability to cut through a mix, it really isn't for you. It's a fantastic pedal for classic rock and blues, or bluesy-rock( ), but it just doesn't have a metal tone.

          Now, the pedal everyone seems to forget about is the old Boss Heavy Metal, HM-2. They go on ebay for about $30, do metal better than the MT-2, and not many folks are using it these days. I bet it would be perfect for you.

          I do't know how you plan to play metal without using distortion, playing Metallica without using a distortion pedal as opposed to OD. If you wanted to go for the big stuff, you could grab a Marshall JCM800. You'd have to save up your pennies, sure, but it would probably do everything you want it to.
          I recently sold a Boss HM2 that I bought off of e bay because it was too fuzzy,buzzy and generic sounding..It has this mosquito riding over notes thing that I hate so much! I'm thinking something like the Metal Zone though..

          John
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

          Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

          Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: blues driver

            Originally posted by kmcguitars
            The blues driver is closer to the tube screamer style of O.D. Depending
            on how much of the amps dist. your useing it could get you close?
            You might want to try a Boss OS-2 or the DS-1 or the orange pedal
            boss makes( I don't know the model #)
            The Boss DS1 is the orange pedal buddy.
            The Boss SD1 is yellow..

            John
            Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

            Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

            Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: blues driver

              krovanmilkdud nailed it

              the bd-2 is great for a boost, or as a bluesy classic rock pedal. it really doesnt do metal
              Godin SDXT - 59-ClassicStack-JB
              Martin D-15 - Fishman Neo-D
              Boss BD-2 - MXR dynacomp - Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 - Morley A/B/Y
              Crate VC-3112
              Brownsville NY J-Bass Copy
              Fender Bassman 60

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: blues driver

                Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
                The Boss DS1 is the orange pedal buddy.
                The Boss SD1 is yellow..

                John
                OOPS !! Thank for setting me straight I have a DS-1 then HA HA
                I don't know where it is hav'in seen it in years? I have a OS-1 that is
                yellow too. I think that's why I got confused??
                http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: blues driver

                  Originally posted by kmcguitars
                  OOPS !! Thank for setting me straight I have a DS-1 then HA HA
                  I don't know where it is hav'in seen it in years? I have a OS-1 that is
                  yellow too. I think that's why I got confused??
                  That's ok buddy...We'll let you slide this time!

                  John
                  Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

                  Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

                  Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X