Black Shadow speakers...opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Shadow speakers...opinions?

What is the general consensus on Black Shadows. How they sound and compare to other popular speakers?
    My Soundclick page.

Re: Black Shadow speakers...opinions?

A lot of boogie amps had these speakers stock, go and read some reviews at Harmony Central for the boogie Dual Caliber series amps. I seem to remember a few reviewers mention swapping out the black shadow for xyz and then saying what improvement it made.

My DC-3 has a black shadow, some had celestion vintage 30s IIRC, but I haven't heard one of those or this amp with a different speaker in it, so I can't comment sorry.

What amp is this for? Are you looking at replacing the one you have, looking at getting one, or just curious?
    Homemade Tas Oak Tele w/ SD Custom 4 & strat Blue Lace Sensor, Boogie DC-3

Comment

Just curious. The mesa .50 caliber + combo i just bought has one in it and to me it sounds pretty cool. Nice and warm

I just wanted to see what others thought.
      My Soundclick page.

Comment

Black Shadow is just a name Mesa puts on all there speakers. They're actually made by several diffierent companies.
        I have two MESA 4X12's that have two Celestion custom 90's and two EV 150 watters each. All four speakers have the Black Shadow label on them...
        ---RCM78

Comment

I just looked at mine and its a Black Shadow 90watt celestion speaker.
          My Soundclick page.

Comment

I got two Blk Shdws Custom 90s to replace the bottom half of my Vint 30 loaded Mesa Recto cab. Best move I ever did, it tightened up the gain from my amp (Mesa Solo 50) as suggested by the Mesa Factory.
            57 VOS Les Paul Goldtop
            62 Thin Skin Stratocaster
            Mesa Boogie Lone Star 212
            Baby Taylor
            sigpic

Comment

The Black Shadows are modeled after the Electro-Voice speakers, the EV-12Ls. I have two original Series II speakers if you'd like to try them (contact me or look in the Trade section).

Zakk Wylde uses these speakers in a combo he used to record the new acoustic album he put out, so they work great with both clean and distortion.
              Originally posted by kevlar3000
              I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
              Originally posted by Zerberus
              Better is often the enemy of good
              Originally posted by ginormous
              Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Working...
              X