banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will 8 hole p/guard (fully loaded) fit 11 hole strat body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will 8 hole p/guard (fully loaded) fit 11 hole strat body?

I have a Fender MIJ '82 JV (Jap Vintage strat). Not so long ago (from Lews guitars) I purchased a (white pearloid) 8 hole p/guard fully loaded with Fralin's, switches/controls etc. My intention is to put this straight into the JV strat - to see what the Fralins are like as I may be ordering a custom built strat at some point in the future (with them). I thought this was the easiest way for me to do this, given my limited skills, and I also did not want to de-value the guitar either. Recently I bought one of the US Highway strat guitars and as some of you know this has the 11 hole pick guard. I might add that I do not have the pick guard or the guitar in my possession as they are being sent to me from the US and this may take a few more days to arrive in England.

So my question is:

1. Would my new 8 hole pick guard (fully loaded) fit the 11 hole body strat on the highway or any other US strat?

2. Would there be any alterations that I would have to make to the body or pick guard?

3. Should I just fit the new pickguard to my '82 JV strat.

4. Return the new pickguard to Lew and tell him its a load of rubbish!!
    5. Anything further that you guys may want to add?

Thanks
    Normans Guitars

Re: Will 8 hole p/guard (fully loaded) fit 11 hole strat body?

Originally posted by Norman_T
    I have a Fender MIJ '82 JV (Jap Vintage strat). Not so long ago (from Lews guitars) I purchased a (white pearloid) 8 hole p/guard fully loaded with Fralin's, switches/controls etc. My intention is to put this straight into the JV strat - to see what the Fralins are like as I may be ordering a custom built strat at some point in the future (with them). I thought this was the easiest way for me to do this, given my limited skills, and I also did not want to de-value the guitar either. Recently I bought one of the US Highway strat guitars and as some of you know this has the 11 hole pick guard. I might add that I do not have the pick guard or the guitar in my possession as they are being sent to me from the US and this may take a few more days to arrive in England.

So my question is:

1. Would my new 8 hole pick guard (fully loaded) fit the 11 hole body strat on the highway or any other US strat?

2. Would there be any alterations that I would have to make to the body or pick guard?

3. Should I just fit the new pickguard to my '82 JV strat.

4. Return the new pickguard to Lew and tell him its a load of rubbish!!
    5. Anything further that you guys may want to add?

Thanks
    The guard in itself should fit but you will have to create some new holes in the body of the 11 hole strat in some places..

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Yep, pickguard is the same, but need new holes.

Comment

just install the pickups into the existing gaurd, that really is the easiest way to fix the problem of fitting that custom set into the highway 1. all you will have to do is unscrew the pickups and take the pots off the new pickguard and switch them with the old setup, solder the wires to the jack and you are ready to go, should take you only a couple mins.
        Cleveland Guitars

Comment

I had an 8 hole guitar and got an 11 hole guard and it didn't work without some mods. the neck pocket part of the guard had to be filed, and a couple of the screw holes were off by like 1mm which made the guard lift off a little bit in that area
          Fender Twin w/ Weber Speakers, keeley ts-9, RMC2 wah, EB MusicMan Axis Sport w/ p-90's, Heritage Les Paul (HC150) Custom Order w/ AIIpro/Custom shop bridge, various accoustics

Comment

Thanks guys for the useful comments, guess I'll have to wait and see when they both come and then decide whether or not to put this in the Highway strat or not and whether to drill or not.
            Normans Guitars

Comment

Working...
            X