Warmoth Help Needed!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warmoth Help Needed!!

Okay, here it comes guys, I'm gettin payed Wednesday and that means I'm ordering the body for my Warmoth that afternoon

The thing is I'm still not sure what I want the body to be made of, so I figured I'd ask you guys for help.

Features I want for sure: H/H config, with a high-output, aggressive pickup in the bridge (brand doesn't matter) and a mellower, cleaner pickup in the neck. Master volume, G&L PTB tone controls. Hardtail, string-thru bridge (Hipshot, probably) and a maple neck with rosewood fretboard.

The body woods I'm thinking of are mahagoney, alder and ash, and the guitar's gonna be used for mellower rock and punk (Nirvana, Weezer, Alice in Chains, Sublime, Descendents) so it needs a brighter, crunchy tone. Any takers?

I'm *probably* going to paint it myself, a flat-white finish, so keep that in mind..
    Last edited by Empty Pockets; 04-12-2004, 07:18 PM.
    green globe burned black by sunn

Re: Warmoth Help Needed!!

for brighter crunchier tone, I would vote for ash! I have an ash guitar that has a wonderful tone. Mahagony is bassier and mellower IMHO, and might sound good for the mellower tunes, but I don't think it would "wind up" the right way for punk.
    Fender Twin w/ Weber Speakers, keeley ts-9, RMC2 wah, EB MusicMan Axis Sport w/ p-90's, Heritage Les Paul (HC150) Custom Order w/ AIIpro/Custom shop bridge, various accoustics

Comment

Purchase from USA Custom instead. Better service and better product.
      Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
      When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
      Red Devils - 1% all the way!
      Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
      Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

Mahogany or Korina. Ash might be too spanky for what your after. Mahogany will sound nice with the maple neck.
        This machine kills fascists

Comment

A lot of wood prep is needed for mahogany and ash. If you are painting it yourself, Alder is a good choice due to it's closed grain. Basswood is a good all around wood also but best finished with opaque colors because it isn't a particularly attractive wood. If you want bright tone, try maple. If that is too heavy for you, get the hollow option that Warmoth offers. It keeps the weight down and provides some warmth as well that might help offset the maple's natural brightness. Alder, maple and basswood are much easier to paint than Mahogany, Korina and Ash (although I love the sound of Mahogany and Korina, Swamp Ash is okay as long as it is a nice light piece with good grain to it).
          Formerly Michael_D. on the old forum....

Comment

I thought the only prep was light sanding followed by wood grain filler?

Comment

Thanks for the advice all...I'm leaning towards ash 'cuz I already have an alder Strat and my Warlock is made of chesswood which sounds a lot like mahagoney to me...

Any more advice?

-X

Comment

One last request for help with my Warmoth project -- I'm ordering tomorrow so I need to know!

I'm lookin for a guitar that's kind of heavy in the mids-area, to get some crunch with...

-X

Comment

If you want a guitar that is mid heavy, you won't find it in ash. You're looking at mahogany.
                  Originally posted by kevlar3000
                  I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                  Originally posted by Zerberus
                  Better is often the enemy of good
                  Originally posted by ginormous
                  Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

If you want mids, mahogany/korina, or maybe alder
                    This machine kills fascists

Comment

Working...
                    X