Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are you self taught?

Originally posted by Xeromus
    I think the biggest problem is finding a good teacher around here, and the 2nd is being able to afford it. I'm a full time student and I don't make any money at my job, barely enough to get the bills paid and that's it.

I was looking at Berkley in Boston, I'm not sure if the amount of debt it would put me in would be worth it. If I went to a music school or conservatory I don't think I could commit to the 8-hour a day practice schedule that most demand.
    You're right; finding the right teacher is everything. The right teacher can teach you theory in a way you will understand it. I know that I couldn't undertand theory on my own w/out good instructors, and I STINK at math!

I have a couple of friends that went to Berklee, and regardless of whether you study @ a conservatory or a method with an instructor, as I did, a serious teacher will require you to practice at least 4-6 hrs/day, depending on your goals.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

yes, Berklee, I know I was spelling something wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Xeromus
        yes, Berklee, I know I was spelling something wrong.
        It's all good; we know what you meant!
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Even though I've done/am doing the conservatory thing, it certainly isn't necessary to be be a professional guitarist. I think it is about having sources for the information you need, and a mentor can have a huge impact on your progress. If someone is really serious about learning, but doesn't think school is the place, just find the best teacher you can find. If you're in a big town there are probably some amazing players, and hopefully one of them can teach.

The part that can't be replaced, however, is time in the shed. To reach the top levels of playing you have to have a regular practice routine. Some need 8 hours a day, some need 2(I need more than I'm getting lately), but regular practice is paramount. It is also extremely important to practice the right way. This is something teachers can really help you learn how to do. Once you learn how to learn, you can get soooo much done without any assistance, particularly with all of the amazing books on the market.

Obviously this applies more to players who want to play really sophisticated music(jazz, classical, prog rock/shred)or to guys who want to do session playing/sideman work. If your goals are more pop/rock oriented then its way more about songwriting than being the baddest mofo the guitar ever saw...

I don't know if this is the place for it, but I, and I'm sure others on this board, would be more than happy to take a shot at explaining whatever theory issues might be mysteries to some of you.

Mike

Comment

I took bass lessons for a while, untill the teacher and myself had a falling out. Basically, he was tellling me what music to play, and was unwilling to teach me the styles and music that i wanted to play. He was a Classical/Jazz/Funk guy with special emphisis on the funk, and i'm a blues/rock guy. He also refused to teach me to play with a pick. So, as a result, i'm mostly self taught... I still suck at slap and pop too.
            Teenagers can't sing the Blues. They ain't fixin' to die yet. Adults sing the Blues. In Blues, "adulthood" means being old enough to get the electric chair if you shoot a man in Memphis.

Comment

Working...
            X