Analog Delay Pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Analog Delay Pedals

A few months ago I decided that I needed a delay. I'd never had a delay, I'd never really played with a delay, I just feet that I needed a delay. I went the cheap route and bought an Ibanez Tone Lok digital delay. It is SO digital. I can't even bring myself to use it because it sounds so horribly digital. I need a real, analog delay. I've done some research and two have caught my eye, the Ibanez AD-9 and the Electro-Harmonix Memory Man. I haven't played with either of these so I am going from user reviews and sales pitches. I was hoping that someone could give me some advise on these pedals or maybe some others. I can spend around $180 so keep that in mind.

Rock on!

Re: Analog Delay Pedals

I'd stay away from the Memory Man. Mine was always noisy as hell.

One of the best availailable new production pedals is the Maxon AD900. Here is a link http://www.maxonfx.com/ad900.html

It is the only Analog Delay pedal that gives you up to 600 ms of delay time. Analog delays have traditionally been limited to 300 ms delay (which isn't long enough for me)

FYI - Maxon = Ibanez. Same company, different marketing.
    (2) Randall RM4 preamps, VHT 2502 Power amp, 2 2x12 Bogner cabs w/V30's and Lead 80's, '74 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop, '89 Gibson Les Paul Cherryburst, '93 Stratocaster, and a bunch of other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkman
      I'd stay away from the Memory Man. Mine was always noisy as hell.

One of the best availailable new production pedals is the Maxon AD900. Here is a link http://www.maxonfx.com/ad900.html

It is the only Analog Delay pedal that gives you up to 600 ms of delay time. Analog delays have traditionally been limited to 300 ms delay (which isn't long enough for me)

FYI - Maxon = Ibanez. Same company, different marketing.
      The Maxon AD-900 pedal is $300 though.

For $180 you can find a used Boss DM-2, DM-3 or Ibanez AD-9 on eBay in pretty good condition. For $200 give or take you may find a Maxon AD-80. For closer to $250 you can find a Maxon AD-9 which is the same pedal as the Ibanez AD-9 except with true bypass switching.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
      buggjuice.net
      MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Mac-P
        The Maxon AD-900 pedal is $300 though.
        True, but IMHO, it's worth the extra 300 ms. I guess it all depends on how he will be using the effect. 300ms isn't much to work with. So, it may be worth it for the extra time.

You can sometimes stumble on good Ebay deals like these...

or

(2) Randall RM4 preamps, VHT 2502 Power amp, 2 2x12 Bogner cabs w/V30's and Lead 80's, '74 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop, '89 Gibson Les Paul Cherryburst, '93 Stratocaster, and a bunch of other stuff.

Comment

I second the Ibanez AD-900. If you want a decent Analog Delay with good delay power (600ms), you may have to go this route. I would definitely check E-Bay, first. There are always good deals to be had.

Best,
          Lee Moore
          Guitars: 2006 Custom Order VOS '59 Reissue w/ MJ 'Duane PAFs'; 2002 '58 Reissue w/ RS Fralin Neck and Timbucker Bridge; 1989 Clapton Strat with Chubtone '63's; 1994 Tom Dodson Custom Strat with 14 year-old Hot Rails, and Classic Stack; 1991 Tele Plus Deluxe w/ Tremelo and Dually Red-Lace Sensors

Duncan Strat Pickups I've Tried: Hot Rails, 5/2's, Classic Stack, Antiquity I's & AII's, PGn and PGb, '59n and '59b, Standard Custom, Sreamin Deamon, various Antiquities & MJ Custom PAFs.

Comment

Thanks guys! I will start doing some ebay research. Anybody wanna buy a very digital Tone Lok pedal?

Rock on.

Comment

I bought a used DOD FX-90 Delay off E-bay for like $50 and it works very well. From what I understand, it is an analog unit. It only has about 350ms of delay maximum, however. I found that it didn't sound sterile like some of the digital variety and has a lush, smooth sound.
              My Gear:
              Kramer USA Baretta II;Ibanez RG550 (MIJ)
              Laney Pro Tube Lead AOR 50watt 1x12" Combo
              Boss GT-3;ProCo Rat2;DOD 250 Overdrive/Preamp;DOD 201 Phaser;DOD FX-90 Delay

Pickups Used:
              TB-12 Screamin' Demon;TB-4 JB;SH-10 Full Shred;SH-5 Custom;TB-1 '59;TB-6 Distortion

Comment

I still recommend the very digital but very great sounding Line6 DL4. Just because something is digital doesn't meen it has an icky sound. Some companies got it right.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I looked at the Maxon AD900 but it does not have "true bypass". That may be a consideration, as your regular tone can be comprimised when the unit is turned off.
                  My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer
                    I still recommend the very digital but very great sounding Line6 DL4. Just because something is digital doesn't meen it has an icky sound. Some companies got it right.
                    I found the Line 6 to be very digital sounding, even when using the Analog models. Also, there was noticable tone loss whenever the effect was engaged. And it's SO big.

It made my guitar sound smaller. I sold it.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
                    buggjuice.net

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
                      I looked at the Maxon AD900 but it does not have "true bypass". That may be a consideration, as your regular tone can be comprimised when the unit is turned off.
                      I find that those pedals (Analog or Delay) work best in the effects loop. They can definitely be tone suckers.
                      Guitars: 2006 Custom Order VOS '59 Reissue w/ MJ 'Duane PAFs'; 2002 '58 Reissue w/ RS Fralin Neck and Timbucker Bridge; 1989 Clapton Strat with Chubtone '63's; 1994 Tom Dodson Custom Strat with 14 year-old Hot Rails, and Classic Stack; 1991 Tele Plus Deluxe w/ Tremelo and Dually Red-Lace Sensors

Duncan Strat Pickups I've Tried: Hot Rails, 5/2's, Classic Stack, Antiquity I's & AII's, PGn and PGb, '59n and '59b, Standard Custom, Sreamin Deamon, various Antiquities & MJ Custom PAFs.

Comment

Originally posted by Mac-P
                        I found the Line 6 to be very digital sounding, even when using the Analog models. Also, there was noticable tone loss whenever the effect was engaged. And it's SO big.

It made my guitar sound smaller. I sold it.
                        Hmm, never had a problem with tone loss or it being 'digital sounding'. Always loved mine- and it is in a lot of pro's pedalboards too. They did update the software as well. It does have a 'true bypass mode' although I don't use it. Maybe an early version?
                        It is worth it for the looping alone. With my rig, it sounds better than any analog pedal I have tried. Besides, no analog pedal has 28 seconds of delay!

I also use an Oberheim Digital Echoplex Pro...probably the king of long delays and loops. It is rack mounted though, but has a footpedal for the most used functions.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer
                          Hmm, never had a problem with tone loss or it being 'digital sounding'. Always loved mine- and it is in a lot of pro's pedalboards too. They did update the software as well. It does have a 'true bypass mode' although I don't use it. Maybe an early version?
                          It is worth it for the looping alone. With my rig, it sounds better than any analog pedal I have tried. Besides, no analog pedal has 28 seconds of delay!

I also use an Oberheim Digital Echoplex Pro...probably the king of long delays and loops. It is rack mounted though, but has a footpedal for the most used functions.

It is a well made pedal, no doubt. The tap tempo, pre-sets and true bypass are reason enough alone to get it if you like delay.

I just have quite a few really good (vintage & new) analog delays. And I usually only use a quick repeat (da da da da), so I never needed such long delay times.

Threre has always been a certain quality to a digital delay that was unpleasing to my ears. And it's not just the brightness of the repeats. It's the whole character of the delayed signal.

To my ears, there is a harshness in the decay and a thinness to the sound that I have always hated. Although many of these new units are really good at "turning the treble down" on the repeats and warming up the echoes a bit, the equation is not that simple. I still hear that digital character, but it is warmer.

When I had the DD-6 (Line 6), I A/B'd it with my Boss DM-2, Maxon AD-80 and Maxon AD-9.

The Line 6 wins hands down in terms of flexibility, but there really was no contest when it came down to tone.

I could definitely simulate the analog delays with some tweaking, and it got CLOSE, but........and I REALLY wanted to like it for the tap tempo and all...... it just wasn't as REAL sounding to me. Not as warm, big or smooth. Not as organic.

Whenever I clicked it on, my guitar sound got the tiniest bit smaller. Very subtle, but there. Not something everyone would notice, but I did.

It is a great unit, no doubt, and has earned it's place in many pro rigs. Just not my thing tone wise.

And the OTHER thing is: it would have been the only digital thing in my signal chain. Everything else is analog. For my own taste, as soon as your signal is converted to digital it changes (gets a bit processed sounding). I like the all analog thing which to me sounds the most organic, big and real. And true bypass wherever possible so that when I am not using an effect the signal loss is diminished.

Just my 2 cents! Peace.

Last edited by Mac-P; 04-15-2004, 08:38 AM.
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          buggjuice.net

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

whats the danelectro PB & J like?
                            Homemade Tas Oak Tele w/ SD Custom 4 & strat Blue Lace Sensor, Boogie DC-3

Comment

Have a Boss DD6 and ireally like this one, it's a powerful tool...

Comment

Working...
                              X