SG- how's it Hangin'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SG- how's it Hangin'?

I'm pretty new to the SG. Couldn't get a grip on it 2night. i WEAR MOST OF MY GUITARS CHESYT HIGH, BUT WITH THE SG( sorry caps)it did not feel right for me.
    I see Angus, the foremost SG guy in existence, wears it low on the hip, kinda slung side saddle and level for rythem, then raises it at an angle, still off the hip for his blistering leads.;

Wondering how some of the great famous SG players, or you even, sling the SG.
    Last edited by MetalManiac; 05-28-2016, 09:12 PM.
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Re: Ya need a good strap to hang a SG.

Other great SG players - Tony Iommi - Black Sabbath, Bobby Kreiger - Doors, Glenn Buxton - Alice Cooper Band..........

Think of the SG as a 1958 MG. It isn't anything fancy and can handle the straightaways and the curves with speed and class. I prefer them just above waist height and shift for lead stuff.

Have four SG's and a long time player.

When I first started SG's they were freaking awkward compared to my other guitars due to the position of the neck joint and strap button. Lets seriously appreciate the ability play the higher frets easily and hence the shifting.

Have tried a SG or two that had the strap buttons relocated. Seems I was too comfortable with my SG's so these felt weird to me.

Best advice I can give you is to use straplocks - your choice and a wide strap that grips.

Had a couple of hand made straps made for me in the early 70's by a street vendor in Virginia Beach and am still using them. They measure 3 inches wide and rough side down. And after all these years, they still grip like the day I bought them. Seriously, I have never had a problem with SG neck dive due to the great straps. rough side down still grips like new.

Take care of leather and your SG - they will last for years and years.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie,
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

Re: Ya need a good strap to hang a SG.

When I played my SG, I would wear it lower and angle it up like Angus in the pic. It's why I do that with all my guitars and basses now, even my LP. It's also a very comfortable playing position IMO.
      Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
      Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
      Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
      Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
      Line 6 Helix
      Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Re: SG- how's it Hangin'?

The more you post the more i realize you're actually PotatoManiac not MetalManiac.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
          I'm pretty new to the SG. i WEAR MOST OF MY GUITARS CHESYT HIGH, BUT WITH THE SG, it did not feel right for me.
          Wondering how you even, sling the SG.

Chest high? I didn't think anybody did that anymore.
          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

i have an old sg.. its never played because its in desperate need of some work.. but once I get around to getting it fixed, I think ill move the strap lock on the neck joint, to the top horn..

Comment

I wear all my guitars so that the NECK is in the same position. If you start with your left arm at your side and bring your left arm up toward you about 3/4 of the way to hold the neck, that's where you want your neck to be, and at about a 45 degree angle so that you have the most free, ergonomic (easy on the arms/hands) access.

Comment

Angus having one end at hip high means the other is neck high.

I don't think I wear mine any different to any other guitar. I tend to want my hands at about the same places irrespective of style (of guitar). I just adjust the strap until it feels right.

Comment

I wear all my guitars about the same - such that the top of the guitar is at or almost at nipple level. I can't play slung low. Don't know if it's my small hands or short arms or what

Comment

Originally posted by measthesheriff View Post
                    I wear all my guitars about the same - such that the top of the guitar is at or almost at nipple level. I can't play slung low. Don't know if it's my small hands or short arms or what
                    No, I have asked about that here, and guys with long arms have no tendency to wear it any difefrent than guiys wiyht short arms.

Yeah, thats what i settled to, top of the guitar right below my man-boob.My Strats I do wear mid-torso and level.Very high to many "gun slingers" w2ho wear it at the hip.
                    Last edited by MetalManiac; 05-29-2016, 10:42 PM.
                    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

SGs are strange because of where the neck strap button is (Iommi changes it to the horn). They are neck heavy (generally) so there is a tendency to have the weight of the neck in your palm or constantly re-adjust while playing.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        SGs are strange because of where the neck strap button is (Iommi changes it to the horn). They are neck heavy (generally) so there is a tendency to have the weight of the neck in your palm or constantly re-adjust while playing.
                        I put a Bigsby & Vibramate on my SG and it balances perfectly now.
                        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

'Jimmy Page' wiring sure seems to sort out the balance problem; or lead.

Comment

I always liked the SG's I have played. I would string it so the neck joint was right at my solar plexus.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Neck heavy sure, but obviously many thousands of players have no problem with that. Since you almost always have at least one hand on a guitar when it's strapped on, the 'neck heavy' griping kind of comes across as whining. If you need two hands to do something, any guitar is going to be banging around and getting in the way; set it down or do your two-handed tasks before putting the guitar on.
                              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Working...
                              X