Blockhead Amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blockhead Amps

Anyone, here, personally own a Blockhead Amp? I hear that they are fabulous recreations of the early Marshalls. Any thoughts or insight? For the price (compared to original late '60's Plexis), they seem like a very good deal.
    Guitars: 2006 Custom Order VOS '59 Reissue w/ MJ 'Duane PAFs'; 2002 '58 Reissue w/ RS Fralin Neck and Timbucker Bridge; 1989 Clapton Strat with Chubtone '63's; 1994 Tom Dodson Custom Strat with 14 year-old Hot Rails, and Classic Stack; 1991 Tele Plus Deluxe w/ Tremelo and Dually Red-Lace Sensors

Duncan Strat Pickups I've Tried: Hot Rails, 5/2's, Classic Stack, Antiquity I's & AII's, PGn and PGb, '59n and '59b, Standard Custom, Sreamin Deamon, various Antiquities & MJ Custom PAFs.

Re: Blockhead Amps

Blockhead, Wizard, Tophat Emplexador and Mojave are the Marshall clones that excite me the most. I've only plugged into a 100W Blockhead that was a traditional sounding version. I'd love to hear the Blockhead Custom 50 that is higher in gain and made to give up the goods.

You really have to try one of these kinds of amps before you buy, because
    you never know if the amp will be too clean, too dirty, too gritty, too loud,
    too loose, or whatever. All three of these amps are ones I'd like to really crank. I've only heard most of these at modest levels, which sucks.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Does Blockhead have any dealers? BTW, gj, what was your overall impression of the KT45?
      "One other thing... I think it rips through your clothes when it takes you over...."
      R.J. MacReady, John Carpenter's The Thing

http://www.myspace.com/PegasusActualMusic
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dzNCgX0QW0

http://www.soundclick.com/randymcfarland
      http://www.soundclick.com/randotones

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
        I'd love to hear the Blockhead Custom 50 that is higher in gain and made to give up the goods.
        That is supposed to be the one that really cranks. I would love to hear that, too.

Randy, there are dealers in the NJ and NY area (I think). If you get outside of that, you can order direct from Blockhead.

Guitars: 2006 Custom Order VOS '59 Reissue w/ MJ 'Duane PAFs'; 2002 '58 Reissue w/ RS Fralin Neck and Timbucker Bridge; 1989 Clapton Strat with Chubtone '63's; 1994 Tom Dodson Custom Strat with 14 year-old Hot Rails, and Classic Stack; 1991 Tele Plus Deluxe w/ Tremelo and Dually Red-Lace Sensors

Duncan Strat Pickups I've Tried: Hot Rails, 5/2's, Classic Stack, Antiquity I's & AII's, PGn and PGb, '59n and '59b, Standard Custom, Sreamin Deamon, various Antiquities & MJ Custom PAFs.

Comment

Uh do not say Mojave Joneser...I always gets ticks when I hear that name...

Comment

WOW....almost made me give it up just reading it!

Hey GJ...ever hear or play a Rivera Bonehead ? Any comparison to this "Blockhead" or my "Holy Grail" Matchless ???

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
            Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
            FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
            http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

I have tried all kinds of Riveras.....I even had a Rakehead once.
              The others are oldstyle tonemonsters, the Bonehead is a modern amp build for flexibility and really has no personality of its own.
              The best Rivera's I have tried was the M-60 top and a TBR-1 head.

Comment

I haven't gotten excited about any Rivera I've plugged into. They are great amps, and have stellar clean channels, but there's just something about them that I can't put my finger on - too hifi or something.

The Dr. Z KT-45 is a high headroom EL-34 amp that sounds like a real juicy Hiwatt.
                It won't do highgain, since it was intended as more of a "Who" type sound, but is a great platform for OD pedals.

The Blockhead Custom 50 may be one of the best gainy plexi's ever made.
                I'd love to have one. I tried the Roccaforte's and found them to be thinner and grainier sounding, but pretty good. The Fargen Mighty Plex is the best plexi style amp
                for a reasonable amount of money.

Comment

Originally posted by Rid
                  I have tried all kinds of Riveras.....I even had a Rakehead once.
                  The others are oldstyle tonemonsters, the Bonehead is a modern amp build for flexibility and really has no personality of its own.

I've only read about the "Bonehead" after seeing one on "Fleabay"...the flexability was what really caught my eye.

Anyway, these Blockheads look super sweet....but I'm holding out for a Matchless!!!

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                  Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                  FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                  http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Yeah I know what you mean Joneser....
                    What I meant was the other amps that was mentioned, the Mojaves and Tophats etc etc.
                    The Riveras simply do not have anything special in their sound, all too nice and when overdriven they seem to be grainy in an unpleasent way, like they filter too little off and gets too broadbanded.
                    I think that their trafos are wrong for guitar in some manner.
                    But I sold my Rake, got a Park 75 for it.....which sadly is dead now.

I gotta restore that bugger some day.

Comment

What's wrong with the Park? You could probably fix it yourself with the proper components. Don't you do assembly work for Carl Martin?
                      If so, you're more qualified than most people.

I'd love to own more amps, but my collection right now is pretty much the stuff I like best. Everytime I think I want a Plexi during the day, when I talk gear, I end up going to rehearsal at night, plugging into the Ecstasy, and saying "what am I thinking, I never hear a plexi that sounds like the blue channel in plexi mode!"

Comment

Ah my Output trafo died, and it took a few other things out as well, and the replacements you can get does not really sound like the org one, and it really sounded great before it gave up its rocking crunchy life
                        I tried a few trafos and did not like it very much, so now it waits for the right one....bah I think I will sell it to one of my friends and get myself another one instead!!
                        Bugger
                        Lol yeah that Bogner is something.....I knew the guy who had the import for them here, we tried one of the first to ever hit Scandinavia....wow

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                          I haven't gotten excited about any Rivera I've plugged into. They are great amps, and have stellar clean channels, but there's just something about them that I can't put my finger on - too hifi or something.
                          I could've said this, myself, though I wouldn't put it quite the same way. I wouldn't call them too hi-fiish, but I would call them too reserved/restrained (perhaps the cousin of too hi-fiish). I've plugged into many Riveras and every time, my thinking is along the lines of "Well, if I were living on a planet without Boogies, I suppose I could be pretty happy with this..." Usable and worthy? Sure. Interesting, exciting and inspiring of enthusiasm? Not really.
                          Last edited by Maggie; 04-14-2004, 03:25 PM.
                          F#@{ Clapton- Wenger is God!

Comment

Working...
                          X