Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Push/pull pot (silly question?)

Hi,

I've never used one of thes before; I've got a guitar with a single volume and tone pot to 2 humbuckers (with a 3-way switch), and I was thinking about putting in a push/pull volume pot, wired so that when I pull the pot it kills any signal from the neck pickup, so that I can use the switch to produce a Tom Morello style 'stutter'.

This may be a silly question, but is it possible to do this with a push/pull pot?

Re: Push/pull pot (silly question?)

Yeah, this is easy. Take the black wire of the neck pickup off from whatever terminal its on now, and connect it to the middle lug of either side of the push/pull switch. Then take the bottom lug of the same side of the switch and reconnect it back to whereever you removed the black wire from.

Or, if they reach, just cut the black wire close to the switch, and solder the two cut ends to the bottom and center lug of one side of the switch. Same thing - if the wire reaches.

Comment

Originally posted by southadc
      Hi,

I've never used one of thes before; I've got a guitar with a single volume and tone pot to 2 humbuckers (with a 3-way switch), and I was thinking about putting in a push/pull volume pot, wired so that when I pull the pot it kills any signal from the neck pickup, so that I can use the switch to produce a Tom Morello style 'stutter'.

This may be a silly question, but is it possible to do this with a push/pull pot?
      i did this on my guitar, a little advise: use a push/push pot. it works MUCH better and is easier to use properly, instead of pushing and pulling with a push/pull, you just push the push/push half way and i can control the speed of the "stutter" much easier.

Comment

I'll agree with the rec for the push/push pots. But I think he meant to rewire the 3-way for the stutter effect.
        Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
        https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
        Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Originally posted by LesStrat
          I'll agree with the rec for the push/push pots. But I think he meant to rewire the 3-way for the stutter effect.
          Spot on. Basically, how I want this to work is with the pot 'pushed', I can use the 3-way switch to change pickups, and with the pot 'pulled', the neck pickup is dead so that I can use the 3-way switch to create the stutter.

I figured it would be straightforward, I've just never done it. I've only got one volume pot on the guitar, so my only othe option is to drill the guitar and put in a little kill-switch

Comment

Ok, but keep in mind, this doesn't change how you wire it up. Its still the same as I posted. Moving either the 3-way or the push/pull pot will kill the neck pickup.

Comment

So, just thinking out loud here.....

... if I put a push/push pot in (neck p/u -> p/p pot -> 3-way switch), and set the 3-way to the 'neck only' position, I can use the push/push pot to stutter the neck p/u?

... if I set the push/push pot to kill the neck pickup, I can use the 3-way switch to stutter the bridge pickup?

So basically I've got 2 switches in series, and I can set one to kill a pickup and one to stutter (the p/p pot to kill the neck, the 3-way to kill the bridge), or set them to kill both pickups (3-way set to neck only, p/p pot set to 'off').

Phew. I think that's all correct?

Comment

I'm not exactly sure I follow what you're saying here, but . . . if you wire a push/pull pot to cut the p'up off - then, it doesn't matter wether you cut it on and off using that push/pull pot, or, use the 3-way switch to "select" it, when its off.

Does that make sense?

Edit: On closer inspection of your post, the answer is "yes". If you use a push/push pot, when selected by the 3-way, it will stutter the p'up.

It might be harder to operate the push/push pot quickly, more than the 3-way, however.
                Last edited by ArtieToo; 04-14-2004, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
                  I'm not exactly sure I follow what you're saying here, but . . . if you wire a push/pull pot to cut the p'up off - then, it doesn't matter wether you cut it on and off using that push/pull pot, or, use the 3-way switch to "select" it, when its off.

Does that make sense?

Edit: On closer inspection of your post, the answer is "yes". If you use a push/push pot, when selected by the 3-way, it will stutter the p'up.

It might be harder to operate the push/push pot quickly, more than the 3-way, however.
                  Thanks for your input, I appreciate it, I think I'll go with the push/push pot idea (looking back, I don't think I explained what I was trying to do very clearly ).

To be honest, I'll most likely use the 3-way for the stutter, I prefer the sound of a bridge pickup for this. I just need to find somewhere selling the push/push pots now!

Comment

Originally posted by southadc
                    To be honest, I'll most likely use the 3-way for the stutter, I prefer the sound of a bridge pickup for this. I just need to find somewhere selling the push/push pots now!
                    Cool . . . the thing I wasn't sure of is: whether a push/push is momentary, or "clicks", like an ink pen. If it works like an ink pen . . . that'll be perfect.

Comment

If it works like an ink pen, then that would be ideal.

I'm mod'ing 2 guitars at the moment - if this works out on one, I'll probably do it on the other too. I was going to try to achieve the same thing on the other guitar by having one volume pot per p/u (with no tone controls). This of course brings with it the whole subject of putting in resistors to replace the tone pots (as I've asked about elsewhere on the forum), plus the wiring of the 2 volume pots so that they don't interfere with one another.

This is something I wondered about - decoupling the 2 pickups when there are 2 volume pots - the guitar I was going to do this to will be fitted with active emgs, I seem to remember hearing that you don't get the coupled effect if the two pickups are active? If I can get away with using a push/push pot that leaves me a space free for something else, like maybe an EMG-SPC or EMG-EXG, then so much the better

Comment

Cool . . . the thing I wasn't sure of is: whether a push/push is momentary, or "clicks", like an ink pen. If it works like an ink pen . . . that'll be perfect.
                        push/push pots work EXACTLY like an ink pen, push it, it goes up, push it again, it goes down, so it kinda looks like push/pull(in the sense that it goes up and down to activate it) but it uses only pushes to switch back and forth.

Comment

Yeah, this is easy. Take the black wire of the neck pickup off from whatever terminal its on now, and connect it to the middle lug of either side of the push/pull switch. Then take the bottom lug of the same side of the switch and reconnect it back to whereever you removed the black wire from.

Or, if they reach, just cut the black wire close to the switch, and solder the two cut ends to the bottom and center lug of one side of the switch. Same thing - if the wire reaches.
                          Do you think it would be better to short the neck pickup to ground rather than just letting the hot wire float? I've never tried this but it might be a way to get a little less noise.

Comment

Working...
                          X