banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experience or dealings with Pickguard Planet or (Chandler Music)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experience or dealings with Pickguard Planet or (Chandler Music)

I'm contemplating ordering a custom half face PG for my Gibson CS 61' SG as Gibson did a "one off" on the guitar's PG making it dubious to purchase a stock lefty SG half face PG sight unseen. After talking to Pickguard Planet a few times, their pricing appears to be competitive as juxtaposed to WD Pickguards who has absolutely ludicrous pricing. A friend of mine had purchased a vintage lefty strat PG from Chandler years ago, and it was a quality PG. Any experiences from SDF members here?

Re: Experience or dealings with Pickguard Planet or (Chandler Music)

Comment

Their pickguards are quality. They've been around a long time and seen pretty much everything. If you are supplying a tracing or the original, then you can expect perfection in my experience. Occasionally I hear some people lament about their response time, or lead time. In my experience it is simply in line with any small business that is mixing higher volume OEM production with low volume custom and one-off orders.

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
        Their pickguards are quality. They've been around a long time and seen pretty much everything. If you are supplying a tracing or the original, then you can expect perfection in my experience. Occasionally I hear some people lament about their response time, or lead time. In my experience it is simply in line with any small business that is mixing higher volume OEM production with low volume custom and one-off orders.
        Thanks Frank! Are you the Frankie Fal that used to frequent The Marshall Forum? I supplied Kenny @ Chandler my tracing and a Xerox copy (from an older Xerox machine which is 1:1). I'm just vacillating back and forth on whether or not to try out a brown tortoise shell or a red tortoise shell SG half face PG (4 ply). The SG is red, and I believe the red tortoise shell PG would look pretty darn good (and custom).

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post

I know this thread is a little old, but I felt I should reply so others would know of my experience with Pickguard Planet ... I will start by saying that I hope my experience with Pickguard Planet (associated with Chandler Music in Chico, CA) is the exception rather that the norm, though I have seen some similar comments as I searched the internet, and there are a number of good reviews for them too. I'm a very detail-oriented person, try to research as much as I can about what I need, and only then do I move forward.

On the good side, Pickguard Planet has a large variety of stock from which they can make just about any pickguard you could ever need. That's one of the biggest reasons I picked them to make a new Black/Red/Black pickguard to replace the stock Black/White/Black pickguard on my 1990 Ibanez RG550 Black Widow (Black & Red) project guitar.

They initially indicated a trace of my original pickgaurd would serve to be able to provide a duplicate of my existing one, but they mentioned that if I send "the actual guard and we don't have a match, we can duplicate using your original as a guide". Because I'm as detail-oriented as I am (I mentioned that above, didn't I?), I figured I would send them my original pickguard for the Ibanez RG550 so that it could be duplicated. As many of you are no doubt aware, these pickguards are fully/completely shielded with adhesive foil, but after I asked about, I found out that Pickguard Planet only shields the control area for their standard costs, advising thet they charge an extra $10 "if you want the entire back of the guard shielded". It seemed a bit steep, but I agreed to that additional cost with the understanding that I would receive an exact duplicate of the original pickguard I provided them, including having the entire back of the new pickguard shielded.

Imagine my surprise and dismay at finding that after paying the extra $10 for full shielding, only about 1/2 to 2/3 of the back of the new pickguard was shielded, so not as promised, and I'm now going to have to shield the entire back of their pickguard myself (that they promised to do, and that I paid for). After finding this discrepancy, I decided I should also compare the profile and mounting hole locations of the new pickguard to my original one I had provided Pickgaurd Planet to make a duplicate of. While the new pickguard was "close" to my original, there were (what I consider to be significant) differences, as much as +/- 1/16" (0.06" / 1.6mm) in the profile/shape and mounting hole locations.

I contacted Pickguard Planet about the discrepancies I found, noting that I expected a better product for the price, and that I'm not completely satisfied with the product, but that I would keep and modify it as necessary. I made no demands, but hoped that as a matter of courtesy and customer service, Pickguard Planet would make apology for the sub-standard pickguard they provided, and possibly offer a partial refund that would at least also include the $10 cost for the extra shielding on the pickguard that they failed to provide. Instead, I received a rather short reply that simply said "We are so proud that you were able to make it work. GG" ... No apology, no offer of a refund, and never provided their name (only ever the "GG"). Poor customer service and business practice as far as I'm concerned.

In the end, if anyone ever asks me whether or not I would recommend Pickguard Planet, I would have to say "no", and the same for Chandler Music which is associated with Pickguard Planet.

Comment

Working...
          X