Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best all-around tube combo?

Hey all,

I'm thinking about getting into the market for a sweet tube combo. I play everything from alt rock to classic rock, blues, and jazz, so I don't really need that ridiculous crunch of a triple rectifier, but I want an amp that can handle BOTH clean and distortion very well. I'm thinking Marshall JCM series. Any recommendations?

Re: Best all-around tube combo?

Originally posted by playmystrat
    Hey all,

I'm thinking about getting into the market for a sweet tube combo. I play everything from alt rock to classic rock, blues, and jazz, so I don't really need that ridiculous crunch of a triple rectifier, but I want an amp that can handle BOTH clean and distortion very well. I'm thinking Marshall JCM series. Any recommendations?
    The Peavey classic 30 is nice, and cheap ($ wise that is), for a bit more versatility though My heart still leans towards the old Mesa Studio .22+, with the large reverb pan (I think they come stock with that now, as the older small pans didn't have much reverb to them ... couldn't get that *fender swamped tone* if you wanted it), and with the 5 band graphic eq. Real sweet, and alive ... Both easy to mod (if you decide to that is). Those are my top two votes.
    ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
    ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
    Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Don't rule out mesa BTW- 99% of people hate triple rectificers, they need to be cranked to be good.
      Even metallica only uses Dual Recto's.

Try a Mark 4 or a Nomad or a single recto.

Comment

Mesa Trem-O-Verb
        Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

I'd say mesa dual recto, although it is ona the only tube amps ive played it was sweeeet as!
          Epiphone Les Paul Studio (59 neck and JB bridge)
          Marshall Valvestate 8080 (80 watts)
          Korg AX1500G multi-fx
          RAT
          Boss PH-1r
          Ibanez cf-7
          Ibanwz ts-7
          Danelectro tremolo
          Vintage RAT - needs a fix!

Not much else - it does the job

Dooogz is taking a break from SD - ill be back soon crew!

Comment

Or one of the F-series amps.
            Heard a few very nice clips.

Comment

A deluxe reverb!!!!!
              "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
              "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I'm kind of in the same boat you're in PlayMyStrat. The only amp I've found so far that really fits that versitility bill well is the Mesa Mark IV IMO. I have played the DSL401, the F50, Nomad55, Rectoverb, Fender Twin, and a Fender Deluxe Reverb. While all fine amps truly, I found that the Mark IV was the only one that offered a good clean, a nice dirty bluesy clean, and some really decent Krunch. I don't own one yet, soon I hope soon!! So please take this with a grain of salt.
                Good luck
                Lou-Driver
                MIA Fender Deluxe Strat (Surfer Set/Custom Bridge)
                MIJ Strat APS1/APS1/PATB-3
                MIA Tele APTL-1/APTR-1
                69' SF Bassman/ 212 Avatar Cab.
                Ibanez LR10 Semi Hollow Body
                Martin D28

Comment

I can only recommed my Engl Screamer 50 combo. It is very versatile amp. Goes from (real) clean to very, very dirty. I think that they're available in the US now for around 1000$.
                  °
                  my stuff

Comment

I really love my Laney Pro Tube AOR 50w combo amp. It's from the late '80s and can be had used for $250-$350. It has push/pull active preamp and eq controls, duet of EL34 power tubes, four 12AX7/ECC83 preamp tubes, and a single 12" Celestion Sidewinder speaker. I've heard that it's similar to the Marshall JCM800, but I've never had one of them. It has both a low and high sensitivity input, but I always use the high one. Cleans are just ok, but the distortion is killer. Very well worth the money, in my opinion.
                    My Gear:
                    Kramer USA Baretta II;Ibanez RG550 (MIJ)
                    Laney Pro Tube Lead AOR 50watt 1x12" Combo
                    Boss GT-3;ProCo Rat2;DOD 250 Overdrive/Preamp;DOD 201 Phaser;DOD FX-90 Delay

Pickups Used:
                    TB-12 Screamin' Demon;TB-4 JB;SH-10 Full Shred;SH-5 Custom;TB-1 '59;TB-6 Distortion

Comment

Tophat Club Royale.

Comment

Mesa Trem-O-Verb! Mesa Trem-O-Verb!
                        F#@{ Clapton- Wenger is God!

Comment

I think the Mesa Nomad 4x10 is a wonderful amp. It is versatile and can cover a tone of different tones. I love the fact that it has independent controls for all three channels.

I don't think you could go wrong with it.
                          Guitars: 2006 Custom Order VOS '59 Reissue w/ MJ 'Duane PAFs'; 2002 '58 Reissue w/ RS Fralin Neck and Timbucker Bridge; 1989 Clapton Strat with Chubtone '63's; 1994 Tom Dodson Custom Strat with 14 year-old Hot Rails, and Classic Stack; 1991 Tele Plus Deluxe w/ Tremelo and Dually Red-Lace Sensors

Duncan Strat Pickups I've Tried: Hot Rails, 5/2's, Classic Stack, Antiquity I's & AII's, PGn and PGb, '59n and '59b, Standard Custom, Sreamin Deamon, various Antiquities & MJ Custom PAFs.

Comment

The Peavey Classics are not bad at all. I really like the warm clean tone, especially from the classic 50 with the 2x12 open back. The is pretty cool but not over the top.
                            These amps are versatile and very reasonable costwise.
                            My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

I'm gonna give another nod to Mesa. I've played a DC-5 for almost 10 years now(Geesh, I'm gettin' old!) and versatility is my bread and butter. If my amp had the switching of a Mark IV or Nomad I wouldn't need to use the one pedal I put in front of it(DC-5 has a sweet pull-pot gain boost on the clean channel that sounds amazing, but isn't footswitchable). They have great clean channels(especially if you do some biasing tweaks), and just about any level of gain you could want.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X