EL84 vs EL34

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EL84 vs EL34

I have a Mesa Nomad 45 2x12 combo that I really like. Very versitile. I thought about trading it in on a Marshall of some sort but I am affraid to lose the 6 channels of versitility that the Nomad offers. The Nomad has EL84 tubes. What kind of difference do you think I'd notice if I were to set it up with EL34s? I know I'd need to get it re-biased and stuff but I wonder if anyone could give me an idea of the sonic differences between the two tubes. I just want to get as close to Marshall tone as I can without getting a Marshall. When I'm a rich rock star, I'll just buy buy a Marshall, I promise.

Rock on.

Re: EL84 vs EL34

The pinout is different, so you can't switch.

Comment

Doesn't THD make a converter?

Comment

Originally posted by proxy
        Doesn't THD make a converter?
        It'll convert an octal socket to a 9 pin socket, but not the other way around.

Comment

I guess that answers that. Thanks red stapler dude.

Comment

you are pretty much stuck with the el84's. Try a different brand of tubes and see how you like the sound difference. My el84 soldano sounded very plexish with sovteks but i didn't like the quality of the tubes. try some jj's though they might be a bit too dark for a marshall sound.
            Cleveland Guitars

Comment

cool, but i would actually like to know the difference in sound between the 2. could anyone fill me in please? thanks
              esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
              fender mim standard strat
              peavey classic 30
              johnson j-station
              original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
              dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
              yamaha f-310p acoustic
              taylor 410 acoustic
              "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Working...
              X