Dunlop Mudslide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dunlop Mudslide

I love slide playing. My collection consists of various pyrex and brass Dunlop and Planet Waves, and a few homemade bottlenecks. My favorite used to be the Dunlop Blues Bottle, but I just picked up a Mudslide (porcelain) a few days ago, and it's incredible. I setup all my guitars ala Warren Haynes (too low for slide, too high for fretted), and the mudslide is perfect for this. The tone, weight, and feel are exactly what I didn't know I wanted. Wish I'd bought one years ago.

Any other fans?
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Dunlop Mudslide

Tell me more - I never heard of this. I gave a tele in open G and a dearmond M series in open D set up highish but playable fretted but too low for slide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Re: Dunlop Mudslide

The slide is porcelain, with much thicker walls than a typical slide. It's heavier, but I like the weight. It's kind of how if you play with 9s it's super easy to bend but without the resistance it feels weird. Then you switch to 10s and it almost seems easier. It feels like it stays in place better than my other slides. The inside has a bit of texture which is nice. I paid $17 at a local mom & pop, totally worth it. The tone is very smooth.

It also feels better on my '62 Les Paul/SG which has lower action than my Strat.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Looks cool! I have a reg Dunlop pyrex. always sounds like a dying cat when i try to play slide. Im sure its just cuz I have NO skill at it. Something heavier may give me more control.. Ive never set any guitars higher for slide playing, so Im sure that doesnt help..

Vinnie, link:

Im curious what the diff is tween the mudslide and the moonshine??

edit: found info online that says the mudslide is thinner
        Last edited by BloodRose; 02-03-2017, 10:44 PM.
        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I"m not a slide player (I use a pyrex on a couple songs only) but I've heard that porcelain is a bit rougher than pyrex and therefore sounds more raspy, not as smooth/mellow as glass. Also that ceramic is more mellow sounding than brass. Is that your experience?
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

i use glass 95% of the time but i have a bunch of slides. i liked the mud slide i had till it cracked

Comment

Unfortunately toddlers in the house make glass and ceramic prohibitive for me. I use Jim Dunlop metal slides for now....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have two slides myself...both brass. I'm afraid the glass ones would break.

;>)/
                sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                  I"m not a slide player (I use a pyrex on a couple songs only) but I've heard that porcelain is a bit rougher than pyrex and therefore sounds more raspy, not as smooth/mellow as glass. Also that ceramic is more mellow sounding than brass. Is that your experience?
                  My Mudslide's tone is pretty smooth. Definitely warmer than brass. It sounds more full than both Pyrex and brass.

Comment

I like the Mudslide and Moonshine, but use glass more. My main prerequisite for a slide is that it fits my pinkie just right, since that's the finger I've always used in order to keep three fingers available for solo bits and chords.

When I started playing slide in a band environment, I had a lot of trouble figuring out how to bring out a slide for a solo, then put it somewhere. I didn't think anyone made a holder, so I took some drum hardware and made one that fits onto a mic stand. Now it appears that Dunlop developed a cheap easy solution.
                    This is something you should own if you play slide.

Last edited by Gearjoneser; 02-09-2017, 04:37 PM.
                    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

i have one of those and it works great. most of the time i just keep the slide in my left front pocket where i can slide it on my finger quickly and easily but it a trick that takes a while to perfect

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                        most of the time i just keep the slide in my left front pocket where i can slide it on my finger quickly and easily but it a trick that takes a while to perfect
                        One time I had a porcelain slide in my shirt pocket, bent down to plug in my pedalboard, and it rolled out and off the edge of the stage. Luckily, I had a spare. I like the sound of ceramic/porcelain, but they chip and break so easily.
                        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

i use glass most of the time but i always have a brass one in my bag just in case

Comment

I couldn't get on with a brass slide. Sounded just too harsh and metallic for me, like I was playing a metal guitar (and not the Heavy type). I have a pinky-sized glass slide (Dunlop) but it feels too thin - like fine glassware you can't clink in a toast without it shattering.

My favorite was an old green glass Excedrin bottle. It was thick, and had a transparent tone (no pun intended). It didn't sound like a hollow metal tube or a glass-on-steel tone - maybe because the end was closed? Anyway, it was only about 2" long, so you couldn't get full coverage for chords with more than 3 notes, unless the lowest was an open string, but for In My Time Of Dying, it was excellent.

It was also about 1-1/2" wide, so I had to wear it on my ring finger and hold it upright with my middle and pinky, and mute behind with the edge of my index finger. I dug it out of the ground in a friend's back yard, where it had been for who-knows-how-long back in '87. It had been run over and stepped on for years, and was packed with dirt, but had no cracks or chips.
                            10 years later it fell off the table and landed on the metal leg of my guitar stand and shattered. Broke my heart.

Since everyone was using plastic bottles by then, I couldn't find a replacement from Excedrin or Tylenol or anyone, except a Vitamin supplement, but they didn't have anything in a bottle that small. I ended up with the smallest thing I could find - a bottle of Vitamin C tablets that was about 3" long and 2" in diameter. It was bulky, so I had to wear it on my middle finger, but I could still hold it with my index and ring fingers, and it had a nice full sound, and was thick like the Excedrin bottle, though I think its size gave it a "glass-on-steel" overtone, which I really didn't care for, but had to live with. In My Time of Dying took some EQing to get right.

A couple of years ago I got a few Dunlop glass/pyrex "Blues Bottle" slides to try out, and found one that I liked well enough to retire the big glass bottle. I use the model 275. It's more narrow than the Excedrin bottle was, and a little longer, but it has the right thickness for me. Still has a "glassy" tone to it, though. Maybe it was the green glass that did it.

Found a picture online:

The one in the foreground looks like the one I had.

In a pinch, a Bic lighter will work, as will an inline mic adapter (XLR-1/4") with an aluminum housing, but it's not very user-friendly. Takes a 3-finger grip, and even then you have to be mindful of the switch (if it has one), the seam, and getting too close to the end of the sleeve.

EDIT:
                            If I didn't know better, I'd swear this was it also:
                            Last edited by DrNewcenstein; 02-09-2017, 08:04 PM.
                            Originally posted by Brown Note
                            I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                            My Blog

Comment

Closest I would to the Mud is a Joe Perry slide, I like it.

I like glass mostly but I have an aluminum slide that I love. Won't take it anywhere though it's kind of irreplaceable.
                              My Bands -
                              https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                              www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                              www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                              GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Working...
                              X