Question for the builders/luthiers on the board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the builders/luthiers on the board

Hey guys, I have the opportunity to buy an unfinished Wolfgang body, and I was thinking of trying something different with it, since I already have a stock Wolfgang. First, how hard is it to turn a solidbody guitar into a hollowbody? Assuming a skilled luthier did the work, is this something that could reasonably be done? Second, if no holes have been drilled in the neck pocket for a bolt-on neck, is it possible to modify the guitar for a set neck? I know that set neck guitars require some type of tenon/dovetail joint, but I'm not really sure what this involves. I'm guessing that's not really possible on a guitar that was designed to be a bolt-on, but I thought I'd ask anyway. And finally, does anyone know of a good place to get a custom finish? I was thinking some sort of metalflake paint job would look cool, but I don't have the equipment to do it myself, and even if I did, I'd want a professional job anyway. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Re: Question for the builders/luthiers on the board

On your first question, I would imagine that it would be much harder to convert A to B, than to start with B. Its like trading in your Chevelle for a convertible, rather than trying to chop the top.

Know what I mean, Vern?

Comment

Yeah, I know it would be easier if the body were hollow to begin with, but I don't really have that option. If not, it's no big deal, but if it could be done, I'd have a completely unique guitar. I've wanted a hollowbody for a while, but the PRS model is out of my price range, and I thought this might be something to look into.

Ryan
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

I'm a builder around the forum

If you're looking for something unique - rather than retro fit a neck to a guitar and get something you sorta want - pm me and we can discuss a hollowbody if ya like
        Custom Guitar Builder - PM me if you're interested.
        Check out the new website and see the progress of felow forumites' guitars
        www.gaugeguitars.com
        Cheers!

Comment

Warmoth makes a wolfgang model that you can order hollowed out.
          Your talking about major work here. If you find a Luthier to take
          on a project like this, He's gonna Charge Big $$$$$ Warmoth or
          another parts vender Could maybe custom make one to your spec.
          for cheaper ?? As far as a metal flake paint job, I'd look for a
          Motercycle custom shop. Their geared up to do jobs like that
          more so than your average Auto shop. It's alway's fun dealing
          with them Harley Guy's Ha Ha
          http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Working...
          X