Sparkle Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparkle Project

Seriously ****... I wasn't even drunk and I don't need a new guitar at all. But I do 'need' to store a few pickups I acquired:

Always wanted a Sparkle guitar; been close to talking myself into one of the pink Squier Affinities, but I'd just be parting out a lot of that hardware and I don't really like Affinity necks so... Figure ten years between parts guitar builds isn't bad, why not? Calling it my reward for a recent promotion...

I could go Dick Dale on it and install my Rose Mariposa SSS setup, but more probable I'll stick my Jazzb/Jazzn HH black-guard in... As for necks, I've always loved the Squier Mascis and would love to get my hands on one. Otherwise I'm actually growing to like the Mighty Mite I had on another of my project guitars so I might duplicate success there. Maple would be nice. Also looking to acquire gold hardware

A bit of inspiration for me:

Last edited by Silence Kid; 03-04-2017, 01:25 PM.
    Originally posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Re: Sparkle Project

After my recent classic player Strat purchase I've been watching a Vegas Gold version but it's gone through the roof bidding. I also like that Squier Sparkle, but I figured it's mostly junk and if I was going to do it, I'd just get a sparkle body like you.

Have fun building! (What pickups are you going with?)
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Those guitars look sparkling! Good luck on your project.

;>)/
      sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

This thread gets 1 million thumbs-up, because paint with big flakes of metal rules.

Comment

Mmmmm - shiny.....
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Nice. I love gold guitars.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Well my Paypal account indicates progress. I picked up a cheap Kmise neck just to get things going, but I'm still trying to barter for a Mascis or something else in case this is a flop.

Pickups I'm still leaning toward the assembled Jazz bridge/neck set I already have, or maybe a JB/Jazz combo (that I also have a spare of on-hand.) It's a black guard so I might have to get a pearl guard for extra gaudy (or at least parchment.) Parts I still need: Trem springs, neck screws/plate, bridge screws, tuners... Really not much.

This will be my third Strat, after my American Deluxe and $50 cheapo; they're growing on me.
              I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

thats a fancy looking body! look forward to seeing the finished product

Comment

Don't get the typical, bourgeoise, pickguard-du-jour pearloid white pickguard...

...get a black pickguard.

In other words, the general overall color scheme difference (ignore that they're Les Pauls) between this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	LPR7TVAGNH1_ELECTRONICS_GLAM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	5797979

and this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gibson Les Paul 03 R7 7-3449 Blackout 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	5797980
                  Last edited by LLL; 03-06-2017, 09:50 PM.

Comment

I have four pickguards not on guitars right now; all are black So it's likely to have one of those for at least a few minutes while I decide I like it. I can choose between HSS, a couple HH guards, and an SSS.

The neck I'm going with for now is maple, so I'm gauging how the black will look as the sole dark thing on the guitar. The black hardware on the Les Paul above does make it look more finished.

Comment

Wow! I dig that! Sparkles are cool, in any color.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Awkward stage when it looks like a guitar, but is not playable :P

Last edited by Silence Kid; 03-07-2017, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Dead sexy!

Comment

My thoughts at this point:

(Mis)-match the headstock black, glue on some crossed flags instead of a decal, and go for a motif such as:

Comment

Some build notes so far:

-It's an Eden body, made of polonium... Paulownia. It's quite light, and finished very well. VERY glossy. No obvious defects; I did spend about fifteen minutes filing the pocket, which comes irregular/small. Better tight than the alternative.

-The neck is cheapo as mentioned; my first impression? GROSS. It was a matte finish, and the "aged tint" applied was bright, fifty years of cigarette smoke orange; it didn't mesh or look authentic, and I hate matte necks. Buffing compound fixed that, it's now very shiny and the aged tone looks much more authentic, about as orange as my 66 Mustang, minus the wear.

The frets are actually shiny and the tangs are cut well for this level of humidity anyway, which is alarming; the overall feel/shaping are good/standard, with the exception of the giant heel. We'll see how it plays, how much filing down they need... I hate myself already for saying this but... It's 100x better than the barely useable neck on my $50 Chinese Strat copy; it cost more than half as much as that entire guitar though, so I guess it would. I like this better than most Squier necks short of say a VM... So far. Seems straight, we'll see if it turns to a noodle or backflips.

-I have a Squier Trem with zinc block and steel saddles; wondering if I should just use it and replace the block, or buy something better/gold Thinking gold locking tuners, because I hate string trees.

Comment

Working...
                              X