Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 5150 vs. XXX

Originally posted by presa_tito
    Do you think they will make the JSX in a combo amp? I'm asking because I want one, but I definitely don't need the 100 watts. I don't care if it doesn't have as much gain as a xxx. xxx's have a crazy amount anyway and I would bet the JSX has plenty to work with. The cleans will be great also, better than the xxx.
    that's a good question..I would imagine that they'd make it into a combo...

how much gain does a person really need anyway? with today's high gain staging, anything over the 2 o'clock position is getting too saturated to do anything with anyway..and even that's pushing it...

satch's tone was REALLY grindy on the g3 tour...really heavy without being overly distorted..

anywho, I think this amp's going to have as much useable gain as the XXX..and being that satch is pretty demanding, the clean channel will sing as well..

I just looked on musician's friend..they have the head but not a combo

100 watts isn't too bad for a head though...that's pretty loud, but not so loud that you can't turn it up a little higher to drive those power tubes..I bet a combo of 50 watts would be even better though =D
    Splawn QR
    Splawn 4x12 w/greenbacks
    Splawn 2x12 w/ CL80s
    George Lynch Skulls n' Snakes Sig ESP w/JB trembucker

My Cover Band
    My Gear Pix
    My SPLAWN Clips
    My SPLAWN Vids/Homepage

Comment

Originally posted by HardRockSinger
      xxx vs 5150: on this and HC forum, I have read/heard clips - the xxx does not do recordings well. Nonpoint's distortion is not my favorite on their recordings - they use the xxx.

Discover the latest breaking news in the U.S. and around the world — politics, weather, entertainment, lifestyle, finance, sports and much more.

this site is kinda cool for listening to some clips of mods.
      I have recorded the XXX a couple of different times in my studio with great results both times. The key is not to oversaturate the gain and leave it more open sounding. Then layer it about four times (or more) to get a really pumping sound. Same goes with about any high gain amp, 5150 included.
      Formerly Michael_D. on the old forum....

Comment

Mike D:

cool!

Comment

Im sure everyone else has probably told you by now, but FORGET the XXX completely, go for the JSX, i heard Joe live during G3 this year and again live on the radio last night. His tone was great on G3, but i think that was a very early prototype as it sounded quite different and was in a Triple XXX case. But the tone i heard last night was absolutely incredible, like a crazy high-end boutique amp! I thought it was a recording at first and was salivating, only to have the radio host and him talk about the stuff he was playing including the JSX which Joe seemed extremely happy with. The amp is similar to a Triple XXX, but well.......just A TON better!!! I seriously would prop it up to any boutique amp out there. I hope to play one soon!
          EBMM H-S-H Silhouette

Gibson Les Paul Studio

Fender MIM Stratocaster

Bogner Goldfinger 45 1x12 Combo

Comment

I've heard and read only good things about the JSX. But seriously, why limit yourself to Peavey? Look out beyond!

Comment

Working...
            X