• Gibson SG 3 blade single coils?

I just found out about these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar

Click image for larger version

Name:	SG3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	5846595

SG with three ceramic blade single coils? Has anyone any info on these? What they are like?

That just seems weird and odd idea in general. Why would anyone pick that over two P90's?
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Re: Gibson SG 3 blade single coils?

If they want 3 pickups, and like blade style ones. Who says everyone has to like 2 p90's?? Or has to want 2 p90's in multiple guitars

Comment

Nobody asked for that. But have to admit it's cool they offer it.
      Originally posted by King Buzzo
      I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Wasn't something like that one of the Guitar of the Week series a decade ago?
        ---------------------------
        The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
          If they want 3 pickups, and like blade style ones. Who says everyone has to like 2 p90's?? Or has to want 2 p90's in multiple guitars
          That wasn't really the point. I was just wondering: I don't think i've seen other factory Gibsons with regular sized single coils. Nor with blades for that matter.

Someone there got idea of SG with three pickups. And then they decided to make a new pickup for that, that completely differs from what they've done before. And make only 400 of those, if i read correctly.

It just seems weird. The product and the whole thing.
          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
          Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

I'd be willing to say that thing is has nothing on the Epiphone SL. $1300 for 3 pickups surely can't be better than $99 for 2 pickups.
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I like the look of the 3 blade pups...very interesting.

;>)/
              sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

The Iommi pickups were blade but theyre concealed under covers... I guess that still counts.
                87 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 87 Kramer Pacer Imperial, 88 Kramer Nightswan, 83 Kramer V, 88 Kramer F3000, 87 Charvel Model-3, Charvel Jake mutt, > into some rack stuff.

Comment

Sorry for bumping this post three years up-

-but I've been thinking about this axe alot, for the last year. I'd love to own one! :o

I remember trying one, and the tone was quite rude, gritty and brash. But something special to be sure!

How slim are my chances of getting hold of one, seeing it was a limited edition model? From many years back?

Thanks,

-Erlend
                  If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

I have a client who would LOVE to have that SG. He is already an SG fan, and had me put Bill Lawrence bladed single coils in his '72 SG Special way back in the late 70's. He likes Strat sounds, but hates the feel of a Strat body. This would be the best of both worlds for him....
                    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I think that may be my favorite SG configuration. If I had one, I'd wire it with a 4-way Superswitch for:

1. B/M series for quasi bridge humbucker
                      2. B/M parallel for Stratty quack
                      3. N/M parallel, same as above, but neck-ish
                      4. N/M series for quasi neck humbucker.

Comment

The SG3 was a short-lived model offered for a year or two back in the 70s, Gibson's attempt to convert some Fender players.
                        An odd bird. I didn't know they'd reissued it.
                        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

There were two variants of this guitar, both being a 'guitar of the week' in 2007 or '08. One had a swamp ash body and dot inlays, and the other was a Standard (mahogany, traps) except for the pups.

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                          I have a client who would LOVE to have that SG. He is already an SG fan, and had me put Bill Lawrence bladed single coils in his '72 SG Special way back in the late 70's. He likes Strat sounds, but hates the feel of a Strat body. This would be the best of both worlds for him....
                          Frank Marino fan?
                          Originally posted by dominus
                          Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Frank Marino fan?
                            Ed is an excellent jazz player who grew up playing Johnny Winter, ZZ Top, and Ted Nugent...

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Working...
                            X