banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's talk about Okoume as a Tonewood...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk about Okoume as a Tonewood...

It seems that "Okoume" is popping up in newer guitars all of a sudden. From what I've researched it's considered a lighter-weight alternative to mahogany. There doesn't seem to be much solid information on it.

What does Okoume sound like? Is it resonant? What is your experience with it?

Cheers

Re: Let's talk about Okoume as a Tonewood...

I've never had it......or even heard of it until now.

Wood is odd - sometimes light can mean darker timbre, other times brighter. There are so many woods that are marketed as 'the next mahogany'.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
      I've never had it......or even heard of it until now.

Wood is odd - sometimes light can mean darker timbre, other times brighter. There are so many woods that are marketed as 'the next mahogany'.
      Like "nato" (aka nada lol).

For both being very lightweight, basswood and alder couldn't be more tonally different IMO (at least more often than not)

Comment

It is actually almost totally identical to mahogany for me. I have a natural okoume Jackson Dinky and it sounds very similar to some of my other mahogany guitars with the JB/59 set in them. It is definitely lighter than those guitars though. The only difference I see is that the jackson has less sustain (partly due to the floyd rose)
        "My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost" -Anonymous

Main Gear:
        Orange Rockerverb MKIII 50w
        Orange ppc212 open back cabinet
        Jackson dx10d
        DOD preamp 250 Overdrive
        MXR Carbon Copy
        MXR Phase 90 (EVH Version)

Comment

Originally posted by PierceOkken View Post
          It is actually almost totally identical to mahogany for me. I have a natural okoume Jackson Dinky and it sounds very similar to some of my other mahogany guitars with the JB/59 set in them. It is definitely lighter than those guitars though. The only difference I see is that the jackson has less sustain (partly due to the floyd rose)
          Interesting. Do you know how light is it compared to other woods? Like Alder, Basswood, and Mahogany?

Comment

The 'wood database' website will give you density measurements.....you can compare with every other wood on there.

Comment

Does it show up in higher end or lower end instruments? I hadn't heard of it, but I am all for alternative woods/materials.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

My Reiver Kompact has an Okoume top. It sounds about as good as any other of my guitars (body is Black Limba). Super lightweight, very dynamic tone. A tiny bit on the bright side, but in a good way. And you can just FEEL that bass even when played unplugged.
                Last edited by Pierre; 02-10-2018, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
                  My Reiver Kompact has an Okoume top. It sounds about as good as any other of my guitars (body is Black Limba). Super lightweight, very dynamic tone. A tiny bit on the bright side, but in a good way. And you can just FEEL that bass even when played unplugged.
                  http://reiverguitars.co.uk/project/022-kompakt-6/
                  I hadn't heard of those guitars before, but I love their design. Some great stuff on their website!

Comment

Looking through GC Used site
                    I see a Jazz bass with an Okum body listed

Looks dark reddish in hue
                    EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

It seems like a nice wood as far as I'm concerned. One of my bandmates is raving about how he can finally get Mahogany without his bass weighing so much as to break his back.

As for me, I've seen enough of it on Chinese kit guitars to taint it's tonal reputation, so I don't really have an accurate view point of what coloring it brings to the table. It does have a pretty decent grain pattern if you get the right piece.

I can't speak for it tonally, but for what it's worth, Okoume looks damn good on a sailboat.
                      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Here is some info - http://tonewooddatasource.weebly.com...tails-n-q.html

Comment

I have an Ibanez AC340CE-OPN acoustic electric that I think is okoume body and solid okoume top. I like it a lot, lightweight, has cool grain pattern and tonally sounds like mahogany to me. I have owned a Martin D-15 mahog for comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by RJC View Post
                            I have an Ibanez AC340CE-OPN acoustic electric that I think is okoume body and solid okoume top. I like it a lot, lightweight, has cool grain pattern and tonally sounds like mahogany to me. I have owned a Martin D-15 mahog for comparison.
                            Welcome to the forum!

Can you post a pic of it? I'd love to see an instrument made out of it.

Comment

I was under the (vague, possibly incorrect) impression that okoume was just the more accurate name for what we've been calling "African Mahogany" for years. Is it actually a different tree?
                              ---------------------------
                              The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Working...
                              X