banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom wiring diagram help - 3 mini hums, 3 vol, 1 tone, 4 way switch - inc blower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom wiring diagram help - 3 mini hums, 3 vol, 1 tone, 4 way switch - inc blower

Hi,

I'm about to start work on a project to restore a Gibson Firebird I. It's currently worthless so it's going to be somewhat of a hybrid combining the best of a Firebird I, VII and the Tikibird.

The help I need is a custom wiring diagram (and advise) for the pickups and electronics. Instead of standard Firebird VII wiring, I want a four way switch, the fourth position acting as a blower sending the bridge pickup straight to the jack.

I had planned to use a four way switch usually found in a Tele conversion...

What do you reckon? Any help appreciated.

Set up:
    3 x mini humbuckers (Gibson)
    3 x volume
    1 x tone
    1 x 4 way switch

Re: Custom wiring diagram help - 3 mini hums, 3 vol, 1 tone, 4 way switch - inc blowe

I'm a mini style freak, so can't wait to hear how things go and lots of thoughts...

When u say mini, do you mean LP deluxe style mini or firebird? Very different, but complimentary pups for me and I like practically any combination depending on guitar and purpose...

For me, the primary advantage of any 3 pup design is the pickup interaction that a strat gets in 2 4 position.. if it was me, I would use a 5 way.

Minis also tend to have a nice neck bridge tone and I would include this combo in place of middle by itself.

Lots of other ideas, but would be best to hear what you want this guitar to do and mini vs firebird pups.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Re: Custom wiring diagram help - 3 mini hums, 3 vol, 1 tone, 4 way switch - inc blowe

Hey thanks for the reply.

I want the guitar to be a hybrid of the Firebird I, VII and the Tikibird.

So installing 3 mini humbuckers obviously covers the VII.
      The standard VII wiring covers the Firebird I (the 3 way switch in lead position).
      To cover the Tikibird I'll install a Bigsby B5 tremolo and I want a 4 way switch so that I can send the bridge pickup straight to the jack bypassing volume and tone to get a Blower.

Interesting comments about the mix of the pups. I've actually gone the other way! I've got the lead and rhythm pups from a Gibson Firebird V to go with the original Firebird I pup...so maybe I can include the Firebird V in the hybrid!

Comment

Originally posted by MrCDubya View Post
        I've got the lead and rhythm pups from a Gibson Firebird V to go with the original Firebird I pup...so maybe I can include the Firebird V in the hybrid!
        Ok, so sounds like these are conventional Firebird designs (as opposed to the ceramic VII reisue)- if so, there's a good sized magnet sitting in the middle of the coil and practically all winds retain some of the firebird snap.

And if they're not over wound, the intrinsic brightness usually balances as a result position- the reason I asked about LP deluxe pups, is an exception with bright firebirds where I've' substituted an LP deluxe style mini in the neck or bridge to get a warmer tone (and less bite since its doesn't have a magnet in middle).

I've played around with 4 conductor minis to get some good PRSish coil combinations, but doubt that real firebirds would be as interesting and sounds like you want relatively simple switching.

Last, I tend to think that blowers are often underrated- For me, it's less of a volume increase as opposed to a more 'underwound' sound, so you could consider a more over wound bridge to get more umph and you might recover some of the high end via the blower.

Looking forward to hearing more about where this build goes!

Comment

Also, imagining your circuit would not be very hard- Volumes would be inline with pups and 4 way would be bridge, bridge blower, bridge neck, neck?

EDIT-
          I offered to help with a diagram, but realize that I still am not sure what you are looking for

I'm multi-tasking and realized the combination above only makes sense with the mid pup that is always on and blended in and I don't think that's what you were after? It is a pretty cool approach that Gretsh uses on some of their 3 pups-

But back to what you want, Bridge, Bridge Blower, Mid, Neck?
          If so, I would go 5 way to get get Bridge, Bridge Blower, Mid, Neck /Bridge, neck

Or I would use a 5 way with push pulls to get strat plus the other sounds you are after.
          Last edited by zionstrat; 03-16-2018, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zionstrat View Post
            Also, imagining your circuit would not be very hard- Volumes would be inline with pups and 4 way would be bridge, bridge blower, bridge neck, neck?

EDIT-
            I offered to help with a diagram, but realize that I still am not sure what you are looking for

I'm multi-tasking and realized the combination above only makes sense with the mid pup that is always on and blended in and I don't think that's what you were after? It is a pretty cool approach that Gretsh uses on some of their 3 pups-

But back to what you want, Bridge, Bridge Blower, Mid, Neck?
            If so, I would go 5 way to get get Bridge, Bridge Blower, Mid, Neck /Bridge, neck

Or I would use a 5 way with push pulls to get strat plus the other sounds you are after.
            Also, not sure how how routed, but traditional Gibson 3 way with push pulls would probably look better?

Comment

Does a Tele 4-way blade fit in a Firebird route anywhere? (I don't think it would fit in mine)

Comment

Hi All

Thanks for your replies. Much appreciated. For some reason I stopped getting notifications and so didn't see them until now...]

Allow me to reply...

Comment

Mate thanks for all of your contributions to this. As it goes, @beaubrummels is right - the 4 way tele switch won't fit so a traditional gibson switch is the way forward...

More on that with my reply to their message...

Thanks again - can't wait to get this one done..!

Comment

Good call...no! Had the parts delivered and it's way too big. A Gibson 3 way would but...I want a 4 way!

I'd compromise with a 5 way - but would need a switch to fit.

Not sure a push/pull will fit either...

Comment

Ideally, I'd have Bridge Blower, Bridge-Mid, All 3, Mid-Neck.

3 x Volumes and 1 x tone.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCDubya View Post
                        Ideally, I'd have Bridge Blower, Bridge-Mid, All 3, Mid-Neck.

3 x Volumes and 1 x tone.
                        Low hight push pulls are a pain, but will fit in practically any cavity... I'll take a look tonight and if it's as easy as I'm thinking I'll take a pass at a diagram

Comment

Thanks mate - looking forward to it... happy days.

Comment

Looked it over and best I can tell, can't get that combo with 3 way, but open to ideas from others-

I'm pretty sure a 5 way super switch would do it, but comes back to the question do you have room for the switch?

Here's an alternative to consider

I've only used them for traditional listed combos, but would be happy to explore options if this is a possibilty.

Comment

Yep, a freeway switch is going to be your only option.......and there is an ultra version which may well have enough poles to act like a bladed superswitch.

Comment

Working...
                              X