banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spontaneous Warmoth Build...Something A Bit Different!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spontaneous Warmoth Build...Something A Bit Different!

Apparently some weirdo ordered a Hybrid Strat body in Roasted Alder from Warmoth, finished in Candy Red and routed for a recessed Floyd Rose, single battery box and EMG style singles, but changed his mind along the way.

It ended up on Warmoth's "Screamin' Deals" page where it sat for weeks. I really hated it at first, wondering why anyone would pick that combo of features, but it kept catching my eye while I was window shopping.

Then inspiration hit and, half out of boredom, I pulled the trigger.

I even snagged a killer quartersawn neck with the "standard thin" profile and stainless frets to go with it. It has the "Warhead" headstock, which is sportier than a typical Tele and a tad smaller than a traditional Strat shape.

The body has an incredibly pleasant snap to it when thumped and the neck is easily the most solid feeling chunk of wood I think Warmoth has ever sent me!

Here's a quick out-of-the-box pic to give you an idea of what it will look like.

The plan is chrome hardware and a trio of SD LiveWire Classic II active Strat pickups (two white ones in the pickguard and a black one in the bridge spot, reminiscent of the old Yamaha Pacificas).

Don't know if I'll keep it, since I really don't need another guitar at the moment, but I'm excited to see it through!

Will definitely be a killer axe either way...a true "Hybrid"!

Re: Spontaneous Warmoth Build...Something A Bit Different!

Cool. I'd finish it all without the pickguard first, if it isn't already drilled.
    Originally posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Looks good.

For a guard, though, I think something like the old Squier '51 would look better with the Strat body:

Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Definitley a different combination of features; like the Warhead Headstock Maple Board and S/S/S with Floyd Set Up. Look forward to seeing it progress.

Ironically; I have been tempted to pick up a similar Warmoth Build that's been decorating the walls at one of the local shops for a while now as I thought it an unusual take on a Strat/Tele Combo.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by muttznmongrelz; 06-22-2018, 08:44 AM.
        MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
        1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
        1988 Kramer Nightswan
        1989 Charvel Sambora
        2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
        Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star Combo
        Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve

sigpic

Comment

Me likey.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

Spontaneous Construction !
            sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
            - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Weren’t there some Charvels with an interesting pickguard shape?
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I anxious to hear how the roasted Alder body sounds. I recently purchased a roasted Adler neck for a build I haven't started, and I've never touched or even seen a smoother, faster, better looking neck. I might like to try a girlfriend made from roasted Alder next.
                I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Originally posted by Silence Kid View Post
                  Cool. I'd finish it all without the pickguard first, if it isn't already drilled.
                  Here's the body without the pickguard. It's not drilled yet:

I just felt it might look weird to have a tele control plate floating by itself. Nothing else really makes it look "hybrid" at that point, you know?

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                    Looks good.

For a guard, though, I think something like the old Squier '51 would look better with the Strat body:

That would be my ideal arrangement right there.

Unfortunately, I don't see how to make the '51 control plate work without gluing wood back into the control rout so I would have a second place to secure it. Even then, I'd have to lengthen/reshape the '51 pickguard to cover the small gap where the '51 plate swings up, revealing the standard Tele rout.

Is the '51 plate as wide as the Tele plate to begin with?

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
                      Here's the body without the pickguard. It's not drilled yet:

I just felt it might look weird to have a tele control plate floating by itself. Nothing else really makes it look "hybrid" at that point, you know?
                      Might look old-school G&L without a pickguard/with a plate:

Originally posted by King Buzzo
                      I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Anyone know if the '51 style plate for P-Bass is the same as the one used on the '51 Strats?

Here's the USACG version of the '51:

Comment

Originally posted by Silence Kid View Post
                          Might look old-school G&L without a pickguard/with a plate:
                          I like where you're coming from, but that look is not quite doing it for me. The G&L has a nicely shaped plate. The Tele version just kind of floats on the body in a strange spot...

Besides, I can't resist the power of the pearloid! *BLING BLING*
                          Last edited by Masta' C; 06-22-2018, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
                            I like where you're coming from, but that look is not quite doing it for me. The G&L has a nicely shaped plate. The Tele version just kind of floats on the body in a strange spot...

Besides, I can't resist the power of the pearloid! *BLING BLING*
                            Of all the suggestions I've seen so far, I like your way the best. It looks like something Fender would release as a limited run, where the other ones seem "modded".
                            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I am at work at the moment, but I'll PM you when I get home. I have some experience with making custom/tweaked '51 P-Bass style pick guards, and maybe I can help you fabricate something or otherwise find a solution.

I can tell you right now, though, that what I had in mind was to take the general outline of the guard you have now, and just extend it up to the upper horn – not to use an actual Squier '51 pickguard and control plate.
                              Last edited by ItsaBass; 06-22-2018, 02:51 PM.
                              Originally posted by LesStrat
                              Yogi Berra was correct.
                              Originally posted by JOLLY
                              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X