1998 Gibson Les Paul Special Dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 Gibson Les Paul Special Dilemma

Hello everyone I have a little bit of a dilemma with my 98 Gibson Les Paul Special. I play in a classic rock/hard rock cover band covering bands like, Grand Funk, Judas Priest, Blue Öyster Cult, Cinderella, AC/DC, etc.

The guitar has now for some time just has had this really horrible twangy sound and not as much girth and oomph as my Epiphone Les Paul custom with Seymour Duncan hot rod pickup set or my Peavey Wolfgang copy with Dimarzio super distortions and it's not staying in tune and so I haven't played on it at all. It had factory P100 pickups, except the bridge pickup - which was swapped out for a Dimarzio P90 super distortion some time back. I also had these Grover Deluxe 135 Nickel tuning keys installed a while back as well.

STEWMAC.COM : Grover Deluxe Keystones

It's in standard E tuning with 010-046 strings, factory bridge saddles replaced with GraphTech notched saddles - which I think changed the tone of the guitar overall and not in a good way, all Gibson 500K pots, still have factory 300K Gibson's. I'm debating if I should upgrade both pickups and just get new Gibson P90 pickups, Seymour Duncan Vintage P90 set or Vintage SP-90-1N neck pickup and Hot SP90-2B bridge pickup and replace the saddles with Gibson tune-o-matic saddles and have them notched.

Also does anyone know how to safely remove some writing on the back body from previous owner with what looks like a silver sharpie or something?
    Charvel Model-5fx EMG 85/SA
    Epiphone Les Paul Custom Korean SD JB/Jazz
    Custom Made Ernie Ball Musicman Copy Dimarzio Super Distortion's
    2019 EVH 5150 III 50 Watt Head 6L6
    1995 Mesa Boogie Tremoverb converted to Head
    Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 cab (factory Vintage 30's) converted to closed back
    Marshall 1960A 4x12 (2 Celestion G12T-75's and 2 WGS Retro 30's X patterned
    Pedaltrain Mini: Currently on pedalboard: ModTone MT-CB Clean Boost, Zoom MS-70CDR, Korg Pitchblack Tuner)

Re: 1998 Gibson Les Paul Special Dilemma

Permanent marker is removed with rubbing alcohol.

Don't know about the twangy issue, are you saying this symptom developed gradually rather than after a mod?
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

If you’ve got a Super Distortion in there I’m really surprised you’re hearing twang...?
      A typical p90 will definitely be more “raw” and maybe trebly but still I don’t hear twang in my LP Special.
      I have a Super D in my LP Standard and that pickup is a beast.

Comment

Maybe try some heavier strings, and if that doesn't work, brass saddles.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Are you sure you got both coils engaged in the Super Distortion?
          "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

For the music you're doing, the LP Special with its small mahogany body isn't exactly ideal. I'd go with a 50's/60's LP Tribute with humbuckers.

Comment

Originally posted by 67Mopar View Post
              For the music you're doing, the LP Special with its small mahogany body isn't exactly ideal. I'd go with a 50's/60's LP Tribute with humbuckers.
              Nah, a LP Special with a Super D will hit all of those tones and more.
              My LP Special with p90’s can do those tones. Not 100% but pretty close.

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                Are you sure you got both coils engaged in the Super Distortion?
                +1

Take a look at the wiring and make sure that one of the coils isn't shorted. A friend of mine had installed a Custom 5 in his Strat, and I'd never cared for how thin and weak it sounded. I was working on the same guitar a few months later and noticed that the red & white pair was shorted to ground resulting in an effectively permanent coil split. After I properly isolated that connection the tone was much more in line with what I had been expecting.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                  Nah, a LP Special with a Super D will hit all of those tones and more.
                  My LP Special with p90’s can do those tones. Not 100% but pretty close.
                  The Super D is one of the worst sounding pickups ever. The pickup version of a G12T-75 speaker... Horrible! A Gibson LP 60's Tribute with an older Duncan Distortion will bich-slap that LP Special all the way back to the stump it was harvested from.

Comment

First get rid of the Graphtech saddles, IME they sound horrible and plinky. Might work for a Strat or a Tele but in an LP I don't like them at all. Standard saddles are fine. I would look to see if the bridge has lost it's arc. I have had that happen on multiple Gibsons and it generally has a negative effect on the tone and reduces playability. A good quality replacement bridge is an easy swap. I am pretty sure in '98 they were Nashville style unless it's a Custom Shop model. Make sure the neck has proper relief too.

When was the last time the guitar was properly setup?

The pickups aren't my favorites but they shouldn't create the "twang" you are talking about. What does the guitar sound like unamplified?

For the back of the body I would use a light rubbing compound and then when you're done hit it with a coat or 2 of carnauba wax.
                    My Bands -
                    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                    GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by 67Mopar View Post
                      The Super D is one of the worst sounding pickups ever. The pickup version of a G12T-75 speaker... Horrible! A Gibson LP 60's Tribute with an older Duncan Distortion will bich-slap that LP Special all the way back to the stump it was harvested from.
                      Hahahahahaha!!!!
                      You’re high.

Comment

Before you remove the writing on the back in silver sharpie
                        Could you post an image here

Your previous owner may have gotten it signed by someone
                        Making its value much higher than you realise
                        EHD
                        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                          Hahahahahaha!!!!
                          You’re high.
                          Just say no, to DiMarzio.

Comment

Sorry for bumping an old thread but I just came across the specs on my 98 Gibson Les Paul Special-

Dimensions – 12 ¾” (W) x 17 ¼” (L) x 1 3/4” (D)

Body –Mahogany

Neck – 1 piece mahogany

Peghead pitch – 17 degrees

Fingerboard – 22-fret rosewood

Fretwire - 0.090” wide and 0.055” tall nickel/silver alloy

Fingerboard radius – 12”

Inlays – pearloid dot

Scale length – 24 ¾”

Nut width – 1 11/16”

Bridge – tune-o-matic (Nashville style)

Tailpiece – Stop bar

Hardware – chrome

Tuners – Gibson deluxe

Controls – 2 volume, 2 tone, 3-way toggle switch

Pickups – Dual P-100s
                            Charvel Model-5fx EMG 85/SA
                            Epiphone Les Paul Custom Korean SD JB/Jazz
                            Custom Made Ernie Ball Musicman Copy Dimarzio Super Distortion's
                            2019 EVH 5150 III 50 Watt Head 6L6
                            1995 Mesa Boogie Tremoverb converted to Head
                            Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 cab (factory Vintage 30's) converted to closed back
                            Marshall 1960A 4x12 (2 Celestion G12T-75's and 2 WGS Retro 30's X patterned
                            Pedaltrain Mini: Currently on pedalboard: ModTone MT-CB Clean Boost, Zoom MS-70CDR, Korg Pitchblack Tuner)

Comment

Working...
                            X