NGD.... my first Gibby Explorer!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NGD.... my first Gibby Explorer!!!

2006 Gibson. I wanted a black one, but I bought this one planning to refin, because white ones had an ebony board. Originally had all silver colored hardware, black speed knobs, and open coil black pickups – very modern/ugly looking IMO. I have slowly converted to gold as the parts came my way, and put on gold top hat knobs with pointers, and, of course, the P Rails (both are neck models). 1 MOhm pots, V/T/T instead of the stock V/V/T. Still need a gold switch and gold bridge. I had the pickguard custom made to eliminate the cut corner by the bridge post, but I haven't drilled for the new screw location yet. I plan on refinishing this in a VERY dark green, almost black. At that time, I will convert to a gold ABR-1, fill the tailpiece holes, and install a gold Maestro Vibrola. It will also get old-style Kluson keystone tuners at that point. The P Rails are wired for P-90's as the default setting, with the ability to add the rail coil in series. I got this used for $600; I consider it a steal, even with the changes I have performed.

2004 Dean Z Professional, as it was when I got it. These were made in the U.S.A., but not in house by Dean. They were made by a company that Dean contracted (U.S. Masters). Came stock with OEM JB/59 set, with the weird OEM 50mm spacing. When I bought it, the Dimebucker was in the guitar, and the JB was in the case. I have since sold the Dimebucker and re-installed the stock OEM JB with the matte silver cover (just like the rest of the hardware on the guitar). I don't like JB/'59. But unfortunately, the Dean-spec'd 50mm spacing means that I can't just buy any old Duncan pickup and put these covers on. I have to have these re-wound if I want to change them. I will eventually be sending both pickups in to be rewound into Seths. I have changed the pots to 1 MOhms all the way around, and changed to V/T/T instead of the stock V/V/T. I will be adding a pickguard (probably 5-ply black and white). I also might give the whole thing a thin gloss coat of lacquer at some point. Another steal: $550, after selling the Dimebucker for $50.

2012 Dean 35th Anniversary import. I made only cosmetic changes to this one. Installed black pickup rings, black knobs, gold screws, trim rings. Bridge will eventually be upgraded (the stock one is crap IMO). I installed '70's vintage Grover Imperial bullseyes as well (not pictured). These were nice. Limited edition of 150. Same specs that later got put into standard production as the Chicago Flame Series: ebony board, DiMarzio U.S.A. pickups, red side dots, V neck, hard case. I will probably keep the vintage-correct mix of silver and gold hardware, but I might install a 5-ply black and white Explorer style guard.

Last edited by ItsaBass; 11-03-2018, 07:09 PM.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Oh-Deans are ok?

I’ve had several brands/variations but these are all that I still have, a pair of late 90s Czech Korina Zs. Pickups swapped, 50s wiring, Faber Tone Lock ABR-1s.

I’ll set them up in some good light after I mow my lawn.

In 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Label View Post
        Here are a few...

I am ExplorersRock, and I approve this guitar purchase. Shred on!
        MEMBER OF THE SACRED ORDER OF THE STONECUTTERS

Comment

Working...
        X