banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to better play thumb barre chords a la Hendrix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to better play thumb barre chords a la Hendrix?

Anybody got any tips on this? I found I like the potential for flourishes on barre chords with the freedom of the pinky that wrapping the thumb provides, but I also can't find a way to play them consistently without the four highest strings getting muted. Any tips on hand positioning or anything like that?

Re: How to better play thumb barre chords a la Hendrix?

Also what neck profile would best accommodate this style of playing? I find that the joint where my pointer finger meets my palm is put under quite a bit of pressure from just barely on the treble side of the skunk stripe on my MIM Strat.

I might look into that for my next guitar that's gonna get the BKP Riff Raff neck and Black Dog bridge that I won.

Comment

Giant hands helps.
      I have small hands, so I simply can't do it. John McLaughlin does some of his complex chords the same way, so I have to reconfigure them to play them.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have massive hands and yet I had trouble with them when I first started. I found I improved when I tried first wrapping my thumb around the low e and getting it to sound, then slowly adding each treble string one at a time until I could get each string to consistantly sound out when plucked one at a time.

As for neck profile, thinner necks help, but there are other tradeoffs that come along with that.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

raise the neck up from your waist towards your shoulder
          get the proper grip on the neck
          lower action and jumbo frets with a softer grip
          practice alot
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

You have to rotate your hand.....

......but even then its not easy. Getting a guitar with a thinner width fretboard also helps.

I simply use the pinky to add flourishes. Its the same finger you need when thumbing the 6th anyhow as the pointer still frets the high strings

Comment

This is how I play most of my barre chords...my advise is two-fold: Thumb requires less pressure than you think, and getting that high e to ring out can be tricky, but practice makes perfect
              TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                Giant hands helps.
                I have small hands, so I simply can't do it. John McLaughlin does some of his complex chords the same way, so I have to reconfigure them to play them.
                This is me as well. Little hands and I don't like super thin necks, so it can be a bit of contortionism to get my thumb where it needs to be.

Comment

I think it is more difficult on a wider neck, the Fender neck width is best (1 5/8"). And I think a round neck profile works better, as opposed to thin/flatter. I had the same problem, and am getting better. Of course, Jimi had very long fingers, I think someone said he could even do thumb chords with the thumb on the 5th string!.
                  Al

Comment

Generally, it also takes my wrist and puts this strange up-bend in it, which has to change if I am going to play anything else afterwards (or before). I use essentially 1 wrist position for everything. I don't want to work that hard.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by '59 View Post
                      Also what neck profile would best accommodate this style of playing?
                      You would need the thinnest narrowest neck you can get away with, unless you have long fingers and/or large hands. But just know that playing this way is ergonomically the worst for your hands long term.

Comment

A thin and narrow neck, yes. But the back contour is more important than you might think. An asymmetric modified "V" works wonders. It's not easy to find, but thank goodness it's also not difficult to do the contouring yourself.
                        Originally Posted by IanBallard
                        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombiwoof View Post
                          I think someone said he could even do thumb chords with the thumb on the 5th string!.
                          Al
                          Wait... normal people can't do that?
                          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I really don't want to sound like an a$$ here, but 2 things:

1. I have pretty small hands so this doesn't work for me and
                            2. I was taught a long time ago when i started taking lessons that this is "improper" technique, so i never even wanted to do it. I do see more players doing it and it makes me cringe based on how strict my guitar teacher was when i was a teen about proper technique.
                            Charvel, Kramer, Gibson, Fender, MIJ/US Epiphone, BC Rich
                            Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Comment

I completely disagree about the thin neck, thicker necks work far better for me. Having it fill my hand reduces the cramping, although I’m far from an expert at it. What that means is try a bunch of guitars out.

The best way to learn it is here:

I bought that lesson and practiced it for about three months, adding what I taught myself about G form and C form barre chords.
                              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                              X