Poly in Spray Cans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poly in Spray Cans?

Sorry if this is a dumb/obvious one- but is polyurethane/polyester from a spray can a thing that exists? I can find clear spray paints advertised as being polyurethane, but no opaques. Seems like everything from Duplicolor/Rustoleum/Krylon is in fact acrylic lacquer, or am I mistaken?
    Originally posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Re: Poly in Spray Cans?

The Duplicolor/Rustoleum/Krylon is mostly enamel. You need to look at car paint, I have bought clear poly in a can from an auto paint store, so I'm sure there are colors. You have to find a "real" auto paint store though, not an Advance, Autozone, Pep Boys kind of store.

Comment

I used Duplicolor 'true match' or whatever on a guitar a few years ago which was described as acrylic lacquer (I think other Duplicolor series might be different.) In any case it dried and polished which I think enamel wouldn't do for several months at least?
      I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
        The Duplicolor/Rustoleum/Krylon is mostly enamel. You need to look at car paint, I have bought clear poly in a can from an auto paint store, so I'm sure there are colors. You have to find a "real" auto paint store though, not an Advance, Autozone, Pep Boys kind of store.
        You mean 2K paints? (2 component)?

I tried once with common cheapo (greek) acrylic (oil-based) spray and it was very soft, some months later it became like relic

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
          https://duplicolor.com/product/perfe...tomotive-paint

Comment

Most of the YouTube videos I have seen is using rustolem for opaque finish
            Then a 2K clear over top to seal it in
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Silence Kid View Post
              I used Duplicolor 'true match' or whatever on a guitar a few years ago which was described as acrylic lacquer (I think other Duplicolor series might be different.) In any case it dried and polished which I think enamel wouldn't do for several months at least?
              Ah, gotcha, yes that is laquer, sorry, I was thinking of the Home Depot stuff that I would never try to paint a guitar with.

Comment

I painted a guitar with normal spray paint and clear coated with spraymax 2k. I would definitely recommend the 2k clear, but would use duplicolor for the color coats if I had to do it over again.

Comment

The 2k products are poly. Duplicolor is mostly lacquers. I have been using them for most of my refinishing.

You don’t want to use a poly over a lacquer

A very good YouTube channel for rattle can painting help is Brad Angove

Hey guys! I’m Brad, and I make how-to videos. I do custom painting projects, guitar kits and guitar painting, airbrushing, spray can painting, wood working, and a variety of other finishing work, tutorials, and project vlogs. Please subscribe and check out my channel for videos on these topics. If you have questions, I'm here to help.
                  -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                  “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

I used the Duplicolor Acrylic Lacquer on my SG Junior build with great results. It took a while for the smell to settle down but it came out great. The goal was to have a Gibson faded style finish as I didn't fill the grain or anything. I rotated between about 3-4 cans while I sprayed and kept them in a bowl of warm water to eliminate cold spits. As I felt one can get cold, I would change to another one. It helped that the nozzle is adjustable on the cans for horizontal or vertical spray pattern. Take your time and start the spray off the wood and move on to it in a steady motion applying light coats.
                    Last edited by ErikH; 11-21-2018, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Thanks - basically the guitar I refinished in Duplicolor ten years ago has checked an reliced; I have not always been gentle with it. Some people might like the look, but I'd actually prefer it to be h-bomb-proof, so looking into options for a DIY poly.

Comment

I have used so many materials.... only now I'm finding the recipe that works for me. I start with 2K because it's fast. like, really, really fast. I spray a guitar in 8 hours; that's 9, 10 layers or so (2 full cans). Then I cure each side of the guitar under an IR lamp (twice 30 minutes) and then I can sand the entire guitar again. so, 9 hours since I started, I can sand and buff the guitar if I wanted. Helas, 2k automotive paint in a can is notoriously soft! It's tough as can be, but it is soft because car finishes have to have some flex in them. So, after it's sanded, next day, I'll start the finish process but now with nitro. One can of nitro. done.

The 2K is my porefill as well as sanding sealer. the nitro gives the most beautiful gloss I've seen. I don't know, but the material glosses differently than poly, 2K or acryllic.

I have used acryllic too and sometimes still do, when the guitar has to leave the shop fast. The acryllic I use works really well as an undercoat for my nitro if need be, because they use the same solvent.

Hope that helps?

Comment

Hey orpheo, I did some work with of-the-shelf acrylic oil based paint + clear coat and this thing hadn't held, after some months it starts to melt. How long Nitro needs to harden? Does it hold? Is it durable?

Comment

Working...
                          X