My custom string sets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My custom string sets

Here are my custom string sets that I've spent 2.5 years perfecting. They sound and feel hella better than screwball standard packs. The tension is balanced but with the bass strings slightly heavier for more body and since the bass strings feel slinkier than the treble strings at the same tension. I like the XL plain steels better than the NYXLs since the NYXLs feel kind of rubber bandy. But the NYXL wound strings are juicier and more tone rich. Then I stick an XL as the low 6th string because it's more dry and solid. $$. The rock ax set has good flexibility and articulation and enough body without being boomy. The jazz ax set is fatter and makes the transition to a heavier feeling set. They cost me about $12 from stringsandbeyond.com.

Rock ax

D--10----12.88 lbs--XL
    A--13.5--13.17 lbs--XL
    F--17----13.16 lbs--XL
    C--26----14.53 lbs--NYXL
    G--36----15.04 lbs--NYXL
    D--49----15.06 lbs--XL

Jazz ax

D--10.5--14.20 lbs--XL
    A--14----14.16 lbs--XL
    F--18----14.75 lbs--XL
    C--28----16.69 lbs--NYXL
    G--38----16.55 lbs--NYXL
    D--52----16.78 lbs--XL

Rock ax

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rock strat side.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	5849555

Jazz ax

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jazz ax.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	5849556
    Last edited by Clint 55; 04-29-2019, 02:05 PM.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Re: My custom string sets

I don't like mixing different types of strings, but I do like custom sets. Curt Mangan will make custom sets with your name and picture on the label for less than $10 a set, and SIT will make them (no custom packaging) for like $7 or $8.

I've given up on balancing by numbers. The best feeling Strat I've ever played was a 1962 that belongs to a local guy. He uses 12,16,19,32,42,56 tuned to Eb. I thought they were 10s or 11s at first.
    Last edited by JB_From_Hell; 11-20-2018, 10:02 PM.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Cool, I haven't tried those brands. Good tone?
      I bought them for you

Comment

Yes. Both make their own strings, so they're worth trying. I have CM strings on my mandolin and acoustic guitar right now. Are you familiar with how a mandolin is strung? If not, there are four pairs of strings (called courses), each pair tuned to the same note, like a 12 string but the same octave. Curt's strings are the most in tune I've ever heard my mandolin sound, by a long shot. On the guitar, I use his 12.5-55 set. They sound as ballsy as mediums (13-56), but feel like lights (12-53).

I haven't tried the CM electric strings yet, but I'm sure they'll be awesome. I've used SIT electric strings a zillion times, and they're great.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I use the CM Pure Nickel and Nickel Wound in 9-46 and have been really happy with them. Great lifespan too. Highly recommended.
          My Sound Clips

Comment

I've been thinking about using a standard Ernie Ball Super Slinky set with an 11 for the high E; using standard tuning (so double 11s for the high E & B strings.)

No problem with 42 - 11 for the other strings - but a 9 gauge high E does weird things with surf-style tremolo picking; probably a reason Dick Dale used super heavy strings. Aside from that particular practical limitation I dislike the idea of going any heavier though. Lighter gauges help me relax and play effortlessly, and never felt the need to change up strings to sound any heavier the way my rigs are tweaked (I also prefer the tendency of lighter strings to provide a compression-like effect.)
            Last edited by Silence Kid; 11-20-2018, 10:27 PM.
            Originally posted by King Buzzo
            I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post

Jazz ax

D--10.5--14.20 lbs--XL
              A--14----14.16 lbs--XL
              F--18----14.75 lbs--XL
              C--28----16.69 lbs--NYXL
              G--38----16.55 lbs--NYXL
              D--52----16.78 lbs--XL
              This is pretty close to my setup on several guitars -nice choice

I use XL and NYXL on all my D standard guitars. NYXL on my Tele always XLs on a few others where I don't need the chime

I have a bunch of guitars with odd tunings that only go down to 14 and have double 17s etc.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Silence Kid View Post
                Lighter gauges help me relax and play effortlessly
                Yap, I used 9s when I played in standard tuning. 10s in D have the same tension.

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                nice choice.
                Thx
                I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                  I've given up on balancing by numbers. The best feeling Strat I've ever played was a 1962 that belongs to a local guy. He uses 12,16,19,32,42,56 tuned to Eb.
                  I doubt it would sound worse if he balanced it more.

0.0120 in. 20.81 lbs
                  0.0160 in. 20.77 lbs
                  0.0200 in. 20.44 lbs
                  0.0310 in. 23.21 lbs
                  0.0420 in. 22.70 lbs
                  0.0560 in. 22.47 lbs
                  I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                    I doubt it would sound worse if he balanced it more.
                    I get why you'd wanna do that, except it played great as he had it.

Ever heard Josh Smith? He uses a plain 26 G (13-58) in standard, and bends like they're 10s.

Comment

Stuff that's counter-intuitive to me doesn't make me feel more soul even though I admire those who are like that.
                      I bought them for you

Comment

I use Curt Mangans as well. They're great strings and cheap to build custom sets with.

I've found 10, 13.5, 17, 26, 36, 48 to make well balanced set.
                        "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                        Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

I ain't got time fo dat!
                          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

This why I love this forum! I have learned a ton by just reading...custom strings? Who would have thunk it...

Comment

^Yap, they're good!

Originally posted by Van Noord View Post
                              I ain't got time fo dat!
                              That's cuz you're a poser blazer!
                              I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                              X