I need a new guitar...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a new guitar...

So I am in the market for a new guitar, mainly to serve as a backup to my strat while gigging, or to be my main guitar and have my strat as a backup for certain styles. I'm looking for one that is ideal for jazz, blues, country, funk, and early classic rock (rolling Stones, beatles, etc). I've been looking at a gretsch g5420t, because a hollow body interests me since I've never had one. If anybody has any other ideas, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!

Re: I need a new guitar...

Interesting choice with the Gretsch, but if you're playing at higher volumes, beware feedback issues, or look at the G5622T semi-hollow. Other than that I'd recommend a good Telecaster.
    sigpic
    Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

I need a new guitar...

Another vote for the Telecaster here!

Really a great choice for what you said.

Comment

Tele or an ES LP
        I got an Epiphone Florentine with the probucker pickups
        It's awesome

Also the Dean Shire is a similar size with a peizo bridge for acoustic like sounds

Also I had my Custom Ehdwuld branded guitar made as a semihollow LP
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

As much as I love Teles, I use the 2 and 4 positions on strats for quack leads and rhythm, so I would recommend a mim strat. They are inexpenive and a wonderful platform for mods.

I am also in love with new Gretsch, especially the jets... Heading in the direction of a more LP sound, but more flexible.

And last but not least, when I went shopping to buy a jet, I instead brought home a used Reverend Double agent with a railhammer bridge pup.

As mainly a hss strat guy, the Jets and Reverends blow me away with an excellent mix of snap and thickness...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
          What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

I also plan to get a G5420 with TV Jones as I have no Hollow guitar... But I will have to wait.

With that Gretsch as a backup to your strat, you need to be used to the two different scales (the Gretsch scale being a little shorter than the strat's). The bendings will feel a bit different. You can really get used to it if you switch often between the two.

As a backup to a strat (my main instrument) that was a different guitar, I used a Telecaster and a friend of mine was doing that too.
            From twangy to mellow, the Telecaster will do well everything you mentioned... But I suppose the Electromatics will open a new world (Hollow guitars).
            Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

What's your budget?

Reverend Double Agent.

Ibanez AZ series. Great HSS set up with a kind of "coil tap" to get a variety of tones.

Nashville Tele. Has 3 single coils.

Comment

Nashville teles are the modders dream!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
                What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

nashville tele with a firebird pup in the neck is a great option

Comment

I'd like to keep it under $1000. Around $800 ideally.

I'm a bit of a tele virgin. Never touched one in my life. Is there anything I should know or look for?

Thanks for all the responses!
                    Last edited by Halvorsenb; 11-21-2018, 02:24 PM.

Comment

You want a (semi) hollow body? Thinline

Actually sorry, I should be spamming G&L:

Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	5810539
                      Last edited by Silence Kid; 11-21-2018, 03:13 PM.
                      Originally posted by King Buzzo
                      I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

See, I'd go for a very versatile HSS setup. Lots of guitars out there, from Strats to Pacificas. But you can get a lot of versatility in something like that.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Good point- Possible HSS already since OP said Strat. But no one has bothered to ask.
                          Originally posted by King Buzzo
                          I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

More strats.
                            The things that you wanted
                            I bought them for you

Comment

The best new guitar is an old guitar. Your genre list kinda suggests telecasters, if you like hollows maybe a Thinline (hollow tele)

What's your budget? $1k you said?

In that case the best made tele you can get is probably a used ESP Ron Wood (full ESP not LTD) or a good highened American Fender (ESP has better QC, with Fenders look before you buy)
                              Last edited by Adieu; 11-21-2018, 06:59 PM.
                              "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Working...
                              X