banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Jimmy Page the most overrated guitarist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jeremy View Post

and page and hendrix too. the man was in the right place at the right time
    And he had, even then, a well deserved reputation.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

• Um, the OP is just trolling the room I assume? It is one thing to say you do not like another player's style, but to call a true legend an overrated guitarist is just plain trolling. Which, of course, is against the rules here.

This thread is a joke. The OP is an overrated forum member for sure, perhaps the most overrated one there is. That is my 2 cents.
      Soundcloud

Comment

• Weird thread to bring back...

History judges your place. I think JP is doing fine.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

• Originally posted by Snake Aces View Post
          Um, the OP is just trolling the room I assume? It is one thing to say you do not like another player's style, but to call a true legend an overrated guitarist is just plain trolling. Which, of course, is against the rules here.

This thread is a joke. The OP is an overrated forum member for sure, perhaps the most overrated one there is. That is my 2 cents.
          I would say that it is the other way around: somebody who has become a legend is likely to be overrated, simply because few people are able to differentiate between fame and skill, and even fewer are capable of forming a coherent picture of what was going on musically in a particular era. That is how you get people saying that "there's innovators and immitators" or posting timelines of when records were released or lists of sales numbers and expect these to be zingers. They are not, and as a culture we are better off if we challenge idols - our own as well as society's.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sirion View Post

I would say that it is the other way around: somebody who has become a legend is likely to be overrated, simply because few people are able to differentiate between fame and skill, and even fewer are capable of forming a coherent picture of what was going on musically in a particular era. That is how you get people saying that "there's innovators and immitators" or posting timelines of when records were released or lists of sales numbers and expect these to be zingers. They are not, and as a culture we are better off if we challenge idols - our own as well as society's.
            You sure do use a lot of words to say a lot of nonsense. When it comes to a name such as Page, there is no need to consider "fame vs skill". One simply needs to close their eyes to Since I've Been Loving You and enjoy the music. Living legend. Period. That IS the very definition of skill.
            Soundcloud

Comment

• I guess I just fundamentally have a problem with a Brit copy righting US blues music informally past around so some poor musicians can make a living, then hiring a bunch of lawyers to enforce the copy rights.

No offense intended to anyone from the UK! There's just something wrong with stealing another country's heritage in my opinion.

Comment

• This is the dumbest thread in the history of the SDUGF.

Comment

• Whenever a famous person is "overrated", it's almost always because:
                  1. Someone is jealous / thinks they are every bit as good
                  2. Someone doesn't get it and wants to rail against the hype
                  3. Someone got ripped off on a signature product
                  4. Someone is secretly a superfan and wants to stamp down the prices of their signature product

Comment

• I know lots of teenagers that don't understand why the Beatles were big. I think with any art form, you have to look at it in a cultural context of the times.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

• Originally posted by MichYank View Post
                      I guess I just fundamentally have a problem with a Brit copy righting US blues music informally past around so some poor musicians can make a living, then hiring a bunch of lawyers to enforce the copy rights.

No offense intended to anyone from the UK! There's just something wrong with stealing another country's heritage in my opinion.
                      I bring this up every time someone says Greta Van Fleet are "copying" Led Zeppelin's sound. I mean like GVF or don't but Jimmy Page didn't invent those blues riffs those guys are playing...

Last edited by Mad Max; 10-23-2020, 08:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                        Whenever a famous person is "overrated", it's almost always because:
                        1. Someone is jealous / thinks they are every bit as good
                        2. Someone doesn't get it and wants to rail against the hype
                        3. Someone got ripped off on a signature product
                        4. Someone is secretly a superfan and wants to stamp down the prices of their signature product
                        Doesn't point 2 contain two aspects that could be considered separately? I can easily be a fan of an artist whilst thinking that s/he is overhyped.

Comment

• You chastise a dude who comes only once in a blue moon (20 posts since 2008)? Lol...

Comment

• There is a ridiculous amount of ridiculously skilled guitar players on the interwebs today. I mean, absolutely amazing when it comes to their technical ability and all that comes with it. Yet, they haven't written any songs worth mentioning. How many of these fabulous players are underrated? Who is in charge with these ratings?
                            Strictly speaking from a technical perspective, I think Blackmore and Tony Iommi were pretty sloppy at times, well behind let's say David Gilmour, Jeff Beck, Hendrix or SRV in terms of precision and control of the instrument. But both were great writers, just like Page and that's what will ultimately stand the test of time. Is Tom Morello a virtuosso? Or Kurt Cobain?? Not in my opinion. Are they influential musicians? Hell yeah! EVH was perhaps the most innovative guitar player of all times, while at the same time writing some memorable songs and redefining the rhythm guitar. More often than not it's not the execution only, but the finished product.
                            Let's go back 300-350 years, how many violin or harpsichord players were able to exhibit jaw dropping performances in front of the European audience at the time? Hundreds? Thousands? Yet, most of us know about, and might have listened to Scarlatti, Bach, Handel, Corelli, Vivaldi, Rameau and Telemann. Where are the rest?
                            Wanna bash Jimmy Page? By all means go for it, just take a step back and have a bit of perspective.
                            Last edited by AdrianSD; 10-23-2020, 05:40 AM.

Comment

• I am not a fan of a lot of "greats" but other people are so who is right and who is wrong? Either a person respects their work or they do not. Arguing about it makes little sense IMO. We each gravitate towards what we like and turns our crank and not everybody is wired the same. So be it. Enjoy what you like and play your guitar and make some noise. Maybe if we all did more of that we might be popular thread fodder on a forum one day.
                              The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mad Max View Post
                                I bring this up everything someone says Greta Van Fleet are "copying" Led Zeppelin's sound. I mean like GVF or don't but Jimmy Page didn't invent those blues riffs those guys are playing...
                                AC/DC, Aerosmith, ZZ Top and a ton of other bands base their songs on blues licks and sound nothing like each other. Greta Van Fleet are a straight up Led Zeppelin clone.

Comment

Working...
                                X