Floyd Rose nut secure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Floyd Rose nut secure

So which nut is this one? I have done all those kinds of experiments only to find out that nothing substitutes wood. So IMHO you should drill out sawdust and superglue and do it right. Apply the wood glue in, install/hammer in the dowels, let it dry, cut flush, mark the new holes, center punch, drill pilot hole, then screw by hand the new screws in. This fix will be permanent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
      I’d just install the nut and not worry about filling the holes. You won’t see them anyway, right?
      Problem. The holes were stripped for the screws that were in the nut. AND, as it turns out, and as I found out this morning: I couldn't understand why I could not put the longer FR nut screws in i.e. they would get to a point and then go no further. Well guess what??? The year before last when I messed the original nut up: it went to my intrepid Luthier to fix. Well turns out: he never bothered to take out the piece of nut screw that remained as a result of my breaking one of the nut screws off in the neck!!!

Originally posted by greekdude View Post
      So which nut is this one? I have done all those kinds of experiments only to find out that nothing substitutes wood. So IMHO you should drill out sawdust and superglue and do it right. Apply the wood glue in, install/hammer in the dowels, let it dry, cut flush, mark the new holes, center punch, drill pilot hole, then screw by hand the new screws in. This fix will be permanent.
      This is the FR "Special" nut that was on the guitar except fitted properly. If it doesn't come right with the 9's (strings) then I'll remove and put a Jackson nut on again (at least now I can do this at will i.e. if I have to remove this nut I can fill the holes again with my "special sauce" and start over). I though about doing it your way but where would I get a dowel that thin i.e. certainly not here by me and certainly not today being Saturday. I'll see. Push comes to shove I'll either do that or take it to a Luthier (believe it or no I'm actually not very good with hands at this type of thing i.e. electronics and stuff no problem but woodwork and stuff ain't something I'm good at). But these screws, tight as they may be, are really only there to stop the nut from moving side to side are they not??? I mean the thing is indeed nice and tight but just how necessary that is I don't know.

By the way: gluing the nut is a waste of time. For one thing: the superglue (and I would imagine any glue) creates a type of "shim" (for want of a better word). And: it didn't work i.e. nut appeared to be stuck on but I removed it with a sturdy push of the fingers (would never have held under string tension). So: you all were right about that. Had to see for myself though!!! LOL!!!

Comment

Sorry. I know there's two threads going here about the same guitar but they're on different topics (my apologies anyway).

Well for some or the other obscure reason and without checking action or string height and neck relief: I got no buzz whatsoever with 9's. So EITHER whatever I've done with this nut has made a difference or I've put another nut on by mistake (I have a few lying around so who knows). I cannot see how the difference in gauge would have cured this i.e. if anything, and because the tension is lower, things could have gotten worse not better. NO idea. But whatever the case: so far so good.

Comment

Dale,
          Next time you can get some different sized dowel rods from a craft store and glue those in with wood glue then trim off the excess and light sand them flush.
          Most times those dowel rods are glorified tooth picks, but they should be about on par with the strength of rosewood in the respect that they'll keep your nut secure atleast.
          87 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 87 Kramer Pacer Imperial, 88 Kramer Nightswan, 83 Kramer V, 88 Kramer F3000, 87 Charvel Model-3, Charvel Jake mutt, > into some rack stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterson View Post
            he never bothered to take out the piece of nut screw that remained as a result of my breaking one of the nut screws off in the neck!!!
            Oopss so the broken piece is still in the wood?

I though about doing it your way but where would I get a dowel that thin i.e. certainly not here by me and certainly not today being Saturday.
            You can find those in hardware stores. You drill out first with the specified drill and then insert the dowel. Just make sure the dowels are hard wood and not too oily. (no rosewood)

By the way: gluing the nut is a waste of time. For one thing: the superglue (and I would imagine any glue) creates a type of "shim" (for want of a better word). And: it didn't work i.e. nut appeared to be stuck on but I removed it with a sturdy push of the fingers (would never have held under string tension). So: you all were right about that. Had to see for myself though!!! LOL!!!
            Isn't this lovely experience

Comment

Sorry. I know there's two threads going here about the same guitar but they're on different topics (my apologies anyway).

Well for some or the other obscure reason and without checking action or string height and neck relief: I got no buzz whatsoever with 9's. So EITHER whatever I've done with this nut has made a difference or I've put another nut on by mistake (I have a few lying around so who knows). I cannot see how the difference in gauge would have cured this i.e. if anything, and because the tension is lower, things could have gotten worse not better. NO idea. But whatever the case: so far so good.
              maybe the superglue "shim" raised the nut?

Comment

Hello.

Originally posted by greekdude View Post
                maybe the superglue "shim" raised the nut?
                You could be right. I don't really have the answer as to how or why everything has miraculously been resolved (string buzz). I've checked to see if there's any gap between the bottom of the nut and the nut shelf (on both sides) and there ain't so who knows. All I know is this: it's finished and it's AWESOME!!! As of this morning: the nut hasn't moved at all. I had to lower the action by some crazy small amount (could even be the smaller string gauge) so to me this means that there's been no appreciable increase in the nut height??? The neck relief has not changed at all oddly enough. And it intonated "perfectly" (you know the story with "perfect" intonation!!! LOL!!!).

Thanks to you (and everyone else) for the input and advice. Always very much appreciated.

If the nut "implodes" at some point in the future I'll have it done proper as suggested.

Comment

Well here it is (below).

I need to fill those two holes with something that will hold the screws. The plan is to fill the holes, glue the nut on, and once the glue is dry then insert the screws. But what do I fill the holes with is the question???

The problem too is that these holes are not very deep at all and the screws that my intrepid Luthier put in when I messed this up before are much shorter than the normal FR screws. And for some or the other reason I don't seem to be able to drive the longer FR screws into the neck now i.e. it seems as though he filled my initial mess with something really hard that even the FR screws are not able to bore through.

I suppose I could drill pilot holes for the longer screws and then screw in the longer FR screws. But I dunno this seems to be a radical (not to mention that if I'm wrong on this nut issue then I'm stuffed).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95103[/ATTACH]

P.S.

I have tried (previously) using the matchstick/toothpick + superglue method. Didn't really work for me. What's more: these holes are so shallow that I don't think this is gonna work anyway. Am thinking about the sawdust + superglue paste thingy (or possibly sawdust with white wood glue)???
                  What year is that neck? I notice the truss rod nut must be at the other end of the neck. I'm just going through a similar issue with an '87 Charvel neck which originally had a Kahler. I had someone replace it with a 1984 era Floyd. It lasted for some years, but eventually you could hear a clicking sound at the nut when using the bar and the tuning was never right after pulling or pushing on the bar. When the nut and shim underneath were removed, you could see they used much smaller screws on the nut and they were practically in the truss rod cavity! Good to know the later necks changed the truss rod, but I'm curious as to when? Your neck definitely has more room for those screws than mine. The tech has figured out a way to fix it, but we also realized I had the wrong FR nut on there (an R2 instead of R4) Thanks for the pic!
                  Epiphone LP's with:
                  Duncan Distortion/Jazz
                  Pearly Gates/Jazz
                  Squier Strat w/ Hot Rails bridge
                  LP with Duncan P90 bridge
                  Jackson RRXT w/ Duncan Distortion/Duncan Designed

Comment

Working...
                  X