Best Pots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Pots

What would you guys consider to be the best possible pots set complete for a new Epiphone Les Paul pro? It came stock with the volume pots coil tap push pull with a plug and play pickup plug on each? Are these any good? What is the reasons for your choices also? Thanks so much

Re: Best Pots

The two main choices are CTS or Bourns. Either is fine, just what you might prefer. However, unless there is something wrong with your current pots, there is little to gain in swapping them.

Your guitar's push/pull is a series/parallel mod. Should you find it useful, you can retain it, or replace it with a more traditional setup.
    -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
    “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

I also have to ask what you are hoping to gain from swapping any of the parts out. Is there something it isn't doing for you, or are you just hoping for something 'better'?
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Maybe consider changing pots if you're already doing a pickup swap,,,,,otherwise I wouldn't. (IMO)

Comment

Also consider that the Epiphone comes with Alpha pots (if I’m not mistaken) which are a smaller diameter shaft. If you change pots to Bourns or CTS you will need to ream the holes to accommodate a larger pot shaft.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
            Also consider that the Epiphone comes with Alpha pots (if I’m not mistaken) which are a smaller diameter shaft. If you change pots to Bourns or CTS you will need to ream the holes to accommodate a larger pot shaft.
            You can buy full size metric Bourns or CTS pots that will drop right in. Philadelphia Luthier's Supply has the metric CTS, and I have seen metric Bourns and Alpha on Ebay and other places. I don't know how the taper is on those pots, I usually like a custom vintage type audio taper over the stock CTS audio taper, like the Dimarzio custom CTS pots with the dished back, but many people are happy with the stock audio taper. The metric type have the slightly smaller bushing size that will fit in the Asian guitars, but are full sized pots.
            Al

Comment

Originally posted by Zombiwoof View Post
              You can buy full size metric Bourns or CTS pots that will drop right in. Philadelphia Luthier's Supply has the metric CTS, and I have seen metric Bourns and Alpha on Ebay and other places. I don't know how the taper is on those pots, I usually like a custom vintage type audio taper over the stock CTS audio taper, like the Dimarzio custom CTS pots with the dished back, but many people are happy with the stock audio taper. The metric type have the slightly smaller bushing size that will fit in the Asian guitars, but are full sized pots.
              Al
              Good to know! I had no idea they made metric pots. Would have been ideal when I rewired my Kramer Focus.

Comment

Honestly, as long as the taper is what you want -I would pick them on dimensions, adding functionality (Push/pull etc) and the rotational feel over the actual brand name..

does anybody say Bourns sound better than CTS or Alpha or vice versa? if so they are insane -all 3 manufacturers use the identical principle and technique.

I do have a special Push Push that has positional detents -for dialing in the exact gain on my active electronics on one guitar -it's extremely useful in the studio when matching tracking and recording setups for the record for finding future tones... live play.. not so much of any advantage.
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I was more or less just wondering as it seems I don’t have very good control of tone when I lower the volume pot. I lose some of the characteristics when I turn down and was wondering what the difference in for instance a 500ohm vs 250 ohm or if if these stock ones weren’t as good as a better name brand . Make sense?

Comment

Best Pots

Well, you always lose “something” as you turn down. That’s where a lot of the tonal variety comes from. If you feel like you are losing too much high end you can add a treble bleed to the wiring to help retain the high end as you roll down the volume.
                    Or there is a wiring schematic called 50’s wiring that helps retain the high end too. I personally prefer the 50’s wiring.
                    Last edited by Gtrjunior; 01-13-2019, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Cts bourns alpha it doesnt matter really... people praise CTS but most prematurely dead/busted pots I've seen have been CTS.

Come to think if it, I don't know that I've ever seen a messed-up Alpha
                      "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                        Cts bourns alpha it doesnt matter really... people praise CTS but most prematurely dead/busted pots I've seen have been CTS.

Come to think if it, I don't know that I've ever seen a messed-up Alpha
                        I think every POT I've had an issue with no matter the brand was self inflicted -getting smoke, beer etc on the guitar or not cleaning them for a long long time etc.

I can't really say that ANY pot manufacturer has been an issue for me -they are all pretty damn good.
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Here's a full-sized Alpha with metric shaft/bushing:
                          https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-MVG-GP242...S/283334923047

They also sell them in 1-4 quantities.
                          Here's the CTS:
                          https://www.philadelphialuthiertools...coarse-spline/
                          Don't have a link to the Bourns handy, but you can find them.
                          Al

I just realized that in an LP you probably need long shaft, I don't have a link for those but I'm sure they exist.
                          Last edited by Zombiwoof; 01-13-2019, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombiwoof View Post
                            Here's a full-sized Alpha with metric shaft/bushing:
                            https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-MVG-GP242...S/283334923047

They also sell them in 1-4 quantities.
                            Here's the CTS:
                            Don't have a link to the Bourns handy, but you can find them.
                            Al

I just realized that in an LP you probably need long shaft, I don't have a link for those but I'm sure they exist.
                            Yes, the Les Paul needs a long shaft.
                            The Epiphone, iirc doos not.
                            However the op might want to fact check me on that before ordering pots.
                            Great link btw, Al...thanks.

Comment

I like the low torque type that were stock in my '95 LP Std, but I've no idea what brand they were. I don't get on with the taper in Alphas. I've a few Bourns, and CTs, with a preference for the CTS ones overall for feel/taper.
                              My mum says I'm speshal...

Comment

Working...
                              X