Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson 2019 line-up

Thoughts?

Might be my pessimism showing, but that's like the line-up ten-ish years ago, with a price hike.
    'Without music life would be a mistake'.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Re: Gibson 2019 line-up

I don't understand their aversion to producing the LP Special Double Cut. It's the best feeling Gibson overall IMO They've only done one in the last 25 yrs -in 2015 -yet they'll do the Junior DC this year which is cool and close.... but that TV Yellow Special..... its THE guitar.
    Last edited by NegativeEase; 01-21-2019, 03:13 PM.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I have to say, this is a pretty conservative line up. But I understand as they are just finding their way with new management, and the cries of 'just produce the guitars that were made 10+ years ago!'. I think their biggest competition these days is their past on the used market.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
        I don't understand their aversion to producing the LP Special Double Cut. It's the best feeling Gibson overall IMO They've only done one in the last 2015 -yet they'll do the Junior DC this year which is cool and close.... but that TV Yellow Special..... its THE guitar.
        Different strokes maybe? I can't stand the way LP double cuts hang on me, I'd much rather play an SG.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I will say that the Studio/50's/60's/Modern lineup is a nice clear line. I like the pup choices overall.

The B-2 V is excellent EXCEPT for face mounted jack.

Bottom line - they appear to be focussing on doing their basics well. That's a good thing in general. Time will tell....
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Seraphial View Post
            https://www.musicradar.com/news/namm...ne-up-revealed

Thoughts?

Might be my pessimism showing, but that's like the line-up ten-ish years ago, with a price hike.

Cheap finishes and crap boards on verrrry expensive guitars.... what's not to like???
            "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
              Different strokes maybe? I can't stand the way LP double cuts hang on me, I'd much rather play an SG.
              Weird -because the SG is extremely similar to the LP Special -except pickups -it must be the yellow
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                I will say that the Studio/50's/60's/Modern lineup is a nice clear line. I like the pup choices overall.

The B-2 V is excellent EXCEPT for face mounted jack.

Bottom line - they appear to be focussing on doing their basics well. That's a good thing in general. Time will tell....
                This is going to sound blasphemous, but I like the look of the Modern LPs better.

Comment

I love the new Explorer and really nice to see a reasonable LP TV Special back in the line
                  My Bands -
                  https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                  www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                  www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                  GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                    Weird -because the SG is extremely similar to the LP Special -except pickups -it must be the yellow
                    The neck joint is a big difference. An SG will always be slightly longer than an LP DC, even with the same scale length. Plus there is body thickness, body contours, and strap button location all affecting the feel of the instrument.
                    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

My 2019 les paul junior is one of my favorite guitars. Suits me well, but the p90 needs a distortion/od boost before going into my roland street cube if i want sustain for legato. That’s the only thing i dislike about it, otherwise perfect.

Comment

Two of my fav guitars bodies (tele and les paul jr.) are essentially slabs. Weird to think about.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                          The neck joint is a big difference. An SG will always be slightly longer than an LP DC, even with the same scale length. Plus there is body thickness, body contours, and strap button location all affecting the feel of the instrument.
                          I have both in my studio now (well a 90s reissue of the 1960 TV) -the button strap and the tuneomatic bridge are definitely the biggest difference for feel, contour doesn't make too much difference because I'm used to both that it's not noticed when playing -don't notice the length differences at all (these are the same scale too ) -the necks and fretboards are close to identical, they feel really close -both with my favorite style neck and fretboard profiles. Obviously, they don't sound at all similar -but I was talking about favorite feeling. SG is probably my second Fav feeling Gibson.

Comment

I played the 2018 Firebird and thought it was terrible, just terrible -probably the worst feeling and playing 1600.00 guitar I can remember -hoping they fix the overly vintage feel of the neck and fretboard this year.

Comment

I will say there aren't many semi or full hollowbody jazz boxes. Either they don't 'officially' add them to their lineup or they are too expensive and such a limited run that they aren't included.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X