Great comparison video of 8 classic guitar types with one rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great comparison video of 8 classic guitar types with one rig

Formula 5F6 by Catalinbread is our Foundation Overdrive that gives you tweed Bassman goodness in pedal form! Super dynamic and touch-sensitive, the medium ga...

I know this is an effect pedal video (and honestly, it made me think I might want a Formula 5F6 pedal from Catalinbread!), but if you skip to 6:17 you will see a Telecaster, a Les Paul Special, a Strat, a Rickenbacker, a modern model Gretsch, a Gibson V, a Les Paul, and a Danalectro all played through the exact same rig with the exact same settings.
    Personally, I was shocked by the Ricky - I thought it would be a much thinner, weaker sound - and by the Strat (I thought it would sound more like the Telecaster).
    If you watch the whole video they explain exactly what pickups are in each guitar, along with the entire signal chain. It's a great way to spend 7 and a half minutes.
    Last edited by Dave Locher; 01-23-2019, 03:45 PM.

Re: Great comparison video of 8 classic guitar types with one rig

Yeah the Telecaster sounds huge compared to the Strat. Cool video.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Comment

I have been gassing for a Rickenbacker 620 and that vidio did not help. It sounded very full and now I want one more.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
        I have been gassing for a Rickenbacker 620 and that vidio did not help. It sounded very full and now I want one more.
        I have gassed for a 360 since 1983 when the other guitar player in my very first band talked his mom into buying him one. Then it faded until the Smithereens came along. Then it faded again and lately it's back!
        It has been 1984 since I heard that guitar but at the time it sounded like the absolute best sounding guitar I had ever heard in my life. This video just reminded me that I wasn't crazy!

Comment

That was a REALLY cool video. So much to like!

Clean then dirty presentation
          One of every cool guitar
          Pickup description
          Sound was distinct!
          I dug the focus on the pedal. Neat effect.
          Nice edits - step up step back was funny after a bit

That really let you hear the differences raw + pedal of all of those. It didn't tell me much about the pedal. I would have liked to see a "cool sound" dialed in for each. But like I said - so what!?!?!?!? Worth it purely for the guitars!!!!
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
            That was a REALLY cool video. So much to like!

Clean then dirty presentation
            One of every cool guitar
            Pickup description
            Sound was distinct!
            I dug the focus on the pedal. Neat effect.
            Nice edits - step up step back was funny after a bit

That really let you hear the differences raw + pedal of all of those. It didn't tell me much about the pedal. I would have liked to see a "cool sound" dialed in for each. But like I said - so what!?!?!?!? Worth it purely for the guitars!!!!
            I think they actually have one or two other videos that just go through the pedal controls, settings, etc. But yeah, hearing 8 different guitars (even listing the pickups) back to back like that was awesome. He accidentally made a really good guitar demo video while trying to make a pedal demo video! I have been obsessively watching all his other videos and they aren't all solid gold but his hit/miss ratio is much better than anyone else and although he's really not doing a hard sell there are now about a half dozen Catalinbread pedals I want...

Comment

Originally posted by ibanezrocks View Post
              Yeah the Telecaster sounds huge compared to the Strat. Cool video.

maybe due to the pups

Comment

Originally posted by greekdude View Post
                maybe due to the pups
                Absolutely. I mean it's not really a great comparison of the tones you can get from each guitar, nor is it meant to be. It'd be more interesting to see the same thing but with the pedal gain adjusted to get roughly the same drive from each guitar regardless of pickup output.

The Strat pickups must be really low output considering every other guitar in the video is way more overdriven

Comment

If you watch the whole video they do say what exact pickups are in each guitar. The Strat has some "vintage" something or other, which I assume means low output.
                  Remember, it is a pedal video not a guitar comparison video. But I still thought it was really great they way he plays 8 very common and classic guitar types so that you can hear how the pedal reacts to each one. I think he was trying to show how the pedal keeps your own guitar's character intact, but from my perspective this is much better than the videos where they adjust the controls to make two things sound as alike as possible. I am still surprised by the Rickenbacker - I thought it would sound much more like the Strat or maybe the Tele. The Gretsch put out a nice growl, too.

Catalinbread has a lot of videos and some of them are much better than others, but this one really stood out to me because of the comparison. Kind of like the "different pickups in the same guitar with the same amp settings" videos are useful for understanding what is different about each one relative to the others.

Comment

Working...
                  X